Shrub Demonstrates His Binocular Technique

Old January 25th 05, 04:00 PM
Shawn

Impact9 wrote:
Those are night vision binoculars. The caps have pin holes in them for
using the binoculars during the day. What's funnier the President
knowing how to use night vision during the day or the uneducated
massing making fun of him because they didn't know that?

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a standard joke in the military. You
*always* give a senior officer binoculars with the caps on, just so they
can look silly ever so momentarily. All the better if it's the
commander in chief (regardless of party affiliation).
Not that I mind shrub looking silly. :-)

Shawn
Old January 25th 05, 04:01 PM
Tim Killian

IIRC, there was a similar picture of President Clinton "viewing" the
Korean DMZ though a capped pair of tripod-mounted 100 mm binoculars.
They're called photo-ops folks. Some turn out better than others.

Old January 25th 05, 04:27 PM
Dan McShane

Chris L Peterson wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:45:33 -0500, "Dan McShane"
wrote:

So you`re saying the military uses IR binos in daylight by reducing the
aperture with pin holes in the lens caps?

My suspicion is you`re makin` it up.

He's not. Even the latest and greatest Gen4 night vision binoculars
still look pretty horrible compared to the most modest ordinary
binoculars. The military doesn't ordinarily use night vision binoculars
during the day at all. But pinholes in the caps are a simple way to let
them be used in bright light in a crunch- far easier than some ND filter
scheme. I've used several different pairs of night vision binocs, and
all have pinholes in their caps.

(BTW, night vision and IR vision aren't the same thing, as I'm sure you
know.)

Not saying the military doesn`t do it in a pinch, as you suggest, however
according to the folks at http://www.opticsplanet.net a pinhole in the dust
cover is not recommeded and indeed may damage the detector.

Old January 25th 05, 08:30 PM
Impact9

The manufactures put the pin holes in the caps.

Old January 26th 05, 02:58 AM
Dan Moos

A) They're night vision goggles. There are pin-holes in the caps. Who looks
dumb now, eh?

B) The communist party emblem in the upper left hand corner of the page was
interesting.

Old January 26th 05, 03:30 AM
Tim Auton

"Dan Moos" wrote:

A) They're night vision goggles. There are pin-holes in the caps. Who looks
dumb now, eh?

Shrub, for later taking the caps off?

Tim
--
This is not my signature.
Old January 26th 05, 08:11 AM

The most powerful man in the world, after Bill Gates, at the head of
the most powerful, most expensive armed forces in the world and they
can't find him a normal pair of binos for the event?
I own half a dozen pairs of ordinary binos myself and I'm a complete
nobody. They only had to ask and I could have sent him a pair over for
the day.
Nah. He can find his own. (With a little help from his friends) ;-)
*
Chris.B

Old January 26th 05, 08:26 AM
Florian

The most powerful man in the world, after Bill Gates, at the head of
the most powerful, most expensive armed forces in the world and they
can't find him a normal pair of binos for the event?

Yeah, but why would you want ordinary binoculars when you could try out
the latest in nightvision/stabilized/whatever those are?=20

-Florian