Write or call Congress to save Hubble space telescope

Old January 24th 05, 03:42 PM
richard schumacher

Default Write or call Congress to save Hubble space telescope

Tell your senators and representative to fund a Shuttle rescue mission
to save the Hubble space telescope. Find contact information by your
zip code he http://www.vote-smart.org/
Old January 24th 05, 04:09 PM
Tom Kent

richard schumacher wrote in news:no-spam-
:

Tell your senators and representative to fund a Shuttle rescue mission
to save the Hubble space telescope. Find contact information by your
zip code he
http://www.vote-smart.org/

Or write your senators and representative to fund the vision for space
exploration with the money saved from cutting hubble.
Old January 24th 05, 04:24 PM
starlord

The "Little" savings of any $$$ from cutting the Hubble wouldn't be enough
to fund the designing, testing and building of a new Saturn V type rocket
needed for replacing the shuttles as bush wants done.

I say keep the shuttles flying ( also fund and build the next genation
shuttles ) and keep the HST running. After all we don't scrap the 100inch
scope on Mt.Wilson just because of it's age.

--

SIAR
www.starlords.org

. 30.44...

Old January 24th 05, 05:13 PM
Tim Killian

The problem isn't a large rocket -- we now have several systems that can
loft the same payload as the shuttle. The problem is that none of these
systems are man-rated (some might argue the shuttle isn't either!).

Keep the shuttles flying? To do that, we need to reopen the assembly
line because the lifetime of an orbiter appears to be 25-50 flights. The
last time we bought a replacement orbiter, the cost was over $3 billion.
I'd guess the cost today would exceed $10 billion.

All of this is just talk because the federal government is broke. Even
the DoD is expected to cut $10 billion annually from its budget over the
next five years.

starlord wrote:

The "Little" savings of any $$$ from cutting the Hubble wouldn't be enough
to fund the designing, testing and building of a new Saturn V type rocket
needed for replacing the shuttles as bush wants done.

I say keep the shuttles flying ( also fund and build the next genation
shuttles ) and keep the HST running. After all we don't scrap the 100inch
scope on Mt.Wilson just because of it's age.

--

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

. 30.44...

Old January 24th 05, 07:11 PM
Joe Strout

"starlord" wrote:

I say keep the shuttles flying ( also fund and build the next genation
shuttles ) and keep the HST running.

I agree; let's also build a space elevator, colonies on the Moon and
Mars, discover alien intelligence, and have floating cities held up by a
complex matrix of wishful thinking.

| Joseph J. Strout Check out the Mac Web Directory: |
| http://www.macwebdir.com |
Old January 24th 05, 07:15 PM
Rand Simberg

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:09:17 GMT, in a place far, far away, Tom Kent
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such
a way as to indicate that:

Tell your senators and representative to fund a Shuttle rescue mission
to save the Hubble space telescope. Find contact information by your
zip code he http://www.vote-smart.org/

Or write your senators and representative to fund the vision for space
exploration with the money saved from cutting hubble.

Very little money will be saved (as long as they give up on the
ridiculous proposal to do it robotically).

Old January 24th 05, 07:17 PM
Brian Hill

"starlord" wrote in message
The "Little" savings of any $$$ from cutting the Hubble wouldn't be enough
to fund the designing, testing and building of a new Saturn V type rocket
needed for replacing the shuttles as bush wants done.

I say keep the shuttles flying ( also fund and build the next genation
shuttles ) and keep the HST running. After all we don't scrap the 100inch
scope on Mt.Wilson just because of it's age.

I know I'm new here and I'm sorry for butting in but the space shuttle
program is a money pit in it's own right. It would seem to me our only hope
for space exploration is if the Russians or somebody else got a big space
program going and we got jealous and tried to out do them. Isn't that how it
happened before? I'm sure some of you smarter guys/gals could elaborate
better or show me the flaws in my thinking. I sure hope research takes off
more in the private sector.

B.H.

Old January 24th 05, 07:36 PM
Impact9

I wrote everyone I could so hopefully my vote will have some effects.

I really am having a hard time understanding why anyone with a serious
thought of astronomy and reads this group would choose to retire the
HST. The HST as barely tapped into the amount of information still out
there. If funding is a problem call in all the loans we have spread
around the world. By now we should already have a colony on the moon!

Old January 24th 05, 07:47 PM
Eric Chomko

richard schumacher ) wrote:
: Tell your senators and representative to fund a Shuttle rescue mission
: to save the Hubble space telescope. Find contact information by your
: zip code he http://www.vote-smart.org/

Just did. Thanks.

Old January 24th 05, 07:49 PM
Eric Chomko

Rand Simberg ) wrote:
: On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:09:17 GMT, in a place far, far away, Tom Kent
: made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such
: a way as to indicate that:

: Tell your senators and representative to fund a Shuttle rescue mission
: to save the Hubble space telescope. Find contact information by your
: zip code he http://www.vote-smart.org/
:
:
: Or write your senators and representative to fund the vision for space
: exploration with the money saved from cutting hubble.

: Very little money will be saved (as long as they give up on the
: ridiculous proposal to do it robotically).

Should robot manufacturing be scrapped all together or do you think it has
a place on ISS?

Eric