How do you pronounce Huygens?

Old January 17th 05, 09:21 PM
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Exactly! The two are interchangeable by virtue of their being synonyms!

Anthony.

Davoud wrote:

I pronounce it "min" -- rhymes with "daniel joseph min."

Old January 17th 05, 10:16 PM
Sam Wormley

See: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=uranus

Old January 18th 05, 04:41 AM
Tom Rankin

Correct is relative...

I once was speaking to a group of students at a Catholic middle school and discussing this very
planet when a kid asked me, "where do farts come from?". The Nun at the back of the room was
'nun' too pleased with the young man's question.

Anyway, I usually pronounce it u-rahn-us. This avoids the "urine-us", and "your-anus" jokes
that inevitably follow....

John Denver wrote:

Eric wrote:

Thats been bugging me, I've heard it pronounced a bunch of different ways
but what is correct?

--
Tom Rankin - Programmer by day, amateur astronomer by night!
Mid-Hudson Astronomy Association - http://mhaa.whodeanie.com

When replying, remove the capital letters from my email address.
Old January 18th 05, 07:51 AM
Stephen Tonkin

Given that it's origin is the Greek "Ouranos", I see no point in
departing from that pronunciation.

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +
Old January 18th 05, 09:36 AM
starman

Brian Tung wrote:

Eric wrote:
Thats been bugging me, I've heard it pronounced a bunch of different ways
but what is correct?
BTW: next time we are going to pass a world wide law that the name has to be
something simple like "Dave" or "Hal" :-)

If you were to pronounce it correctly, hardly anyone in the U.S. would
recognize what you were saying. I've heard it--to my ears, it sounds
something like "HOW-(g)hunz," where the "(g)h" indicates a slightly
guttural sound, like "ch" in Scottish "loch." I remember in the most
recent winter Olympics, a name beginning "Luyt-" was pronounced (I guess
vaguely correctly) as "LOUT-." (The vowel sound I've represented isn't
quite correct, but most people don't have an International Phonetic
Alphabet character set, so you'll have to just deal.)

Ordinarily Anglicized, I have heard both "HI-gunz" and "HOY-gunz." I
prefer the latter myself, and it does seem to be more popular where I
am, but there's no inherent reason for that, I don't think.

HOY-gains is probably about as close to the correct Dutch pronounciation
as an American can say.
Old January 18th 05, 07:51 PM
Brian Tung

starman wrote:
HOY-gains is probably about as close to the correct Dutch pronounciation
as an American can say.

I've heard the correct Dutch pronunciation, and HOY-gains is nowhere
near it.

The first diphthong sounds something like 'u' as in "cut" plus a German
'u'+umlaut. A reasonable approximation in English is "how," but the
Dutch original sounds more fronted (that is, the vowel sounds pushed
more to the front of the mouth). The second syllable is easier--it
begins with something like 'ch' in Scottish "loch" and ends the same
way as the English word "mountains." Hence my attempt at a phonetic
spelling, "HOW-(g)huns."

I think it's a moot point, though, since hardly anyone will know what
you mean if you attempt the Dutch pronunciation (not in the U.S. in
any case). I recommend either "HI-gunz" or "HOY-gunz," since both are
common Anglicizations.

The question reminds me of people wanting to know, a couple of decades
ago, what the correct pronunciation of Io was. The prevailing
pronunciation at the time was "EYE-oh," but some, aiming for correctness,
went with the more European "EE-oh." Lost in all this, I believe, was
the pronunciation of its sibling satellite, Ganymede. Everyone, without
exception that I can remember, pronounced it "GAN-uh-meed" (or possibly
"GAN-nim-eed"). But I find it somewhat hard to believe that the correct
Greek pronunciation has an English-style silent E at the end. Does it?

Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.txt
Old January 19th 05, 12:23 AM
Stephen Tonkin

Brian Tung wrote:
The question reminds me of people wanting to know, a couple of decades
ago, what the correct pronunciation of Io was.

Wasn't it a Fox newsreader who pronounced it "Ten"?

Lost in all this, I believe, was the pronunciation of its sibling
satellite, Ganymede. Everyone, without exception that I can remember,
pronounced it "GAN-uh-meed" (or possibly "GAN-nim-eed"). But I find it
somewhat hard to believe that the correct Greek pronunciation has an
English-style silent E at the end. Does it?

It seems to me that it should have a not-so-silent E at the end:
GA-ni-MEED-e. I'll probably stick with your second option above, though.
And I absolutely refuse to refer to Spica (Speaker, Spikka, Spike-her)
as AL-fa WEER-gin-iss. g

Old January 19th 05, 12:30 AM
Brian Tung

Stephen Tonkin wrote (of "Io"):
Wasn't it a Fox newsreader who pronounced it "Ten"?

I don't remember if it was Fox, but I do remember that story.

It seems to me that it should have a not-so-silent E at the end:
GA-ni-MEED-e. I'll probably stick with your second option above, though.
And I absolutely refuse to refer to Spica (Speaker, Spikka, Spike-her)
as AL-fa WEER-gin-iss. g

You rhotic speakers and your obtrusive Rs. An abomination!

I generally pronounce that star's name SPY-kuh, incidentally.

Old January 19th 05, 12:38 AM
VicXnews

(Brian Tung) wrote in :

Stephen Tonkin wrote (of "Io"):
Wasn't it a Fox newsreader who pronounced it "Ten"?

I don't remember if it was Fox, but I do remember that story.

It seems to me that it should have a not-so-silent E at the end:
GA-ni-MEED-e. I'll probably stick with your second option above, though.
And I absolutely refuse to refer to Spica (Speaker, Spikka, Spike-her)
as AL-fa WEER-gin-iss. g

You rhotic speakers and your obtrusive Rs. An abomination!

I generally pronounce that star's name SPY-kuh, incidentally.

Brian Tung
The Astronomy Corner at
http://astro.isi.edu/
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.txt

Brokaw on Io
I did not see this, but I wish I had: when the Galileo probe to Jupiter
returned images of the moon Io (pronounced "eye-oh"), Tom Brokaw, NBC
News' national broadcast anchorman, was heard to say that images had been
sent back of the moon "ten".

http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/news/io_brokaw.html

--
If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that
matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen
somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between
medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my
grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without
benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties.
It's that fundamental belief-I am my brother's keeper, I am my sisters'
keeper-that makes this country work. It's what allows us to pursue our
individual dreams, yet still come together as a single American family.
"E pluribus unum." Out of many, one.
Barack Obama http://snipurl.com/agv7
-------------
Welfare State is not a dirty word. It simply means that the government has
a concern and responsibility that the standard of living shall not fall
below a certain level. The Democratic Party has been meeting this
responsibility since FDR
Johnny Morgan
Old January 20th 05, 12:07 PM
starman

Brian Tung wrote:

starman wrote:
HOY-gains is probably about as close to the correct Dutch pronounciation
as an American can say.

I've heard the correct Dutch pronunciation, and HOY-gains is nowhere
near it.

snipped

I assume you're talking about the 'correct' pronounciation at the
website with the MP3 clip that was sited here recently. I listen to
Dutch from the Netherlands on their foreign radio broadcasts. They have
recently been saying the word 'Huygens' in their news reports. That's
the source I'm using for suggesting that HOY-gains is close to the
correct Dutch. Either the people in the MP3 clip have an accent or the
news readers at Radio Netherlands do not represent the popular Dutch
pronounciation, whatever that may be.

Huygens makes successful landing on Saturn moon (Report) muldar Amateur Astronomy 0 January 15th 05 09:07 AM
Huygens landed! Victor SETI 1 January 15th 05 12:17 AM
Huygens Sets Off With Correct Spin and Speed [email protected] Astronomy Misc 0 January 11th 05 07:59 PM
Huygens Probe Successfully Detaches From Cassini [email protected] Astronomy Misc 0 December 25th 04 05:34 AM
ESA's Huygens Probe Set to Detach From Cassini Orbiter [email protected] Astronomy Misc 0 December 22nd 04 01:41 AM