Space Odyssey BBC1 tonight

Old November 10th 04, 09:59 AM
Jim

In article , Pete Lawrence wrote:
On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 23:28:33 +0000, Jonathan Silverlight
wrote:

In message , Darren
writes
It DID seem ok.

I had to laugh about Aurora Pegasi though!

Now were they venting an atmosphere or just carrying a spare external one
around with them? grin

The fact that they mentioned it makes me wonder if you _would_ see
something with that strong a magnetic field. The natural aurora is
produced at a height where the atmosphere is a good vacuum, and a quick
Google search told me something about SEPAC and artificial auroras.
I was very impressed with Space Odyssey, and the idea of astronauts as
ordinary guys who get eczema from stress. Been there :-(

I only saw the last half but it looked very watchable. I have a gripe
though - why, oh why, do they put the first half decent space program
on at 9pm in the evening when a lot of kids, to whom it would appeal
greatly, would be tucked up in bed.

Guess who forgot about it?

Tell me it's repeated. It's repeated, right? Please?

Jim
--
Find me at http://www.ursaMinorBeta.co.uk
"Brace yourself, this might make your eyes water."
Old November 10th 04, 10:14 AM
Steve

Waaaaaay too cheesy!!!!

Old November 10th 04, 11:19 AM
Michael

I was amused by the way the 'transmission' blanked out just at the
'One small step' part of the Venus landing, and I missed the Mars
landing. I wonder what he actually said

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 23:39:59 GMT, "Fleetie"
wrote:

I liked their vision of what it'd look through Venus' soupy (~95 atm)
and HOT atmosphere, and really liked their rendering of it!

Wonder how much like that it'd be.

Martin

--

Michael

55:08:25N 6:41:48W
Old November 10th 04, 11:25 AM
Paul Neave

Guess who forgot about it?

Tell me it's repeated. It's repeated, right? Please?

I'm pretty certain it's repeated on Sunday 14 Nov, 3.15pm BBC 2.

Old November 10th 04, 11:32 AM
Paul Neave

I liked their vision of what it'd look through Venus' soupy (~95 atm)
and HOT atmosphere, and really liked their rendering of it!

Wonder how much like that it'd be.

I found the whole "humans landing on Venus" thing preposterous - nobody
would fund a mission to risk landing humans on another planet for 1 hour,
then take off again after only having laid down a seismometer and check a
probe from planet Earth.

I suppose I need to learn how to hold my disbelief a little! Graphics were
pretty good, though.

Paul.

Old November 10th 04, 11:59 AM
Jacob Nevins

Ed @ writes:
Only thing that made me cringe was the mission control room. It had
a dark, avant-garde feel to it, kind of like they had re-used sets
from Cold Lazarus and other future-based drama series. Real mission
control rooms have chipboard partitions, polystyrene ceiling tiles
and Coke cans littering the desks, not to mention little plastic toy
aliens sitting atop the monitors. :-)

Erm, I think it was a real control room...
http://www.esa.int/export/esaCP/SEMRO81A90E_UnitedKingdom_0.html
Old November 10th 04, 12:25 PM
Ed

"Jacob Nevins" wrote:

Erm, I think it was a real control room...
http://www.esa.int/export/esaCP/SEMRO81A90E_UnitedKingdom_0.html

LOL! Very European. Guess I'm just used to seeing shots of NASA
control rooms... ;-)

Old November 11th 04, 12:36 AM
Martin

"Steve" wrote in message
Waaaaaay too cheesy!!!!

Nice idea to try to wrap all the technology bits into a single story, but of
course no one would ever send 5 astronauts away for 6 years or whatever. It
would make more sense to build smaller ships that big one seems to be
dragging a lot of useless bulk around with them. Just how many landers are
they carrying with them?

As for the Venus lander there didn't seem to be much room for fuel? That
baby would have really needed some go to punch though all that thick
atmosphere. And where's Bruce Willis?

Martin

Old November 11th 04, 12:11 PM
Nick

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/prog...ey/index.shtml

--
Nick in Northallerton
www.whelan.me.uk
Old November 13th 04, 10:30 PM
Roger Smith

In message , Martin
wrote
I think as an attempt at "Serious Science" its one of
the worst things I've seen, even by the pathetic standards of the BBC. The
final part sees on astronaut die from radiation sickness (in reality they'd
all have died poncing around the solar system like that) oh and there's a
fire to deal with as well. Oh and the crew debate as to continue or turn
round and go home (presumably they just decide to engage the "warp drive" to
do that then?

Why do you assume it is any more of an attempt at serious science than
sending someone through time to shoot "wildlife encounter"
documentaries? Or any other drama programme for that matter that takes
science as part of its background?

Listening to the BBC science editor on News 24 last week say that he has a
real hard time working with an office full of arts graduates who think
science is a waste of time is it any wonder the BBC turn out such garbage?

No that can be taken as an explanation as to why the BBC's science
programming is declining but should not be used as an excuse to bash
their extremely limited science fiction output.

--
Roger
52:54:41N