Spirit communication lost!

Old January 27th 04, 11:13 PM
Marx @ www.paf.li

"Greg Crinklaw" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Marx @ www.paf.li wrote:
"Greg Crinklaw" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

An update on the Spirit problem from today's
press conference: the most likely problem is
that they simply had too many files stored in
the flash memory, overloading the RAM required
to handle them all.

We hear about Greg being on that programming
team & now you sit there & tell us that such a
contingency wasn't assessed, evaluated &
programmed for? Do the money providers know
about such awful - no: criminal - carelessness?

For the record I'm not on any programming
team but my own. That was just a joke
somebody made (complete with smiley).
You clearly have diminished capabilities
when it comes to reading comprehension,
if not comprehension in general.

The latter, when it comes to your sort of

Complex systems can behave in unexpected
ways in the real world, no matter how much
testing you do. That's just a fact of life in the
software world. What counts is that they took
every precaution to make sure that any problem
would not end the mission.

With such tripe you don't answer the reproach
that such a contingency, "as the most likely
problem is that they simply had too many files
stored in the flash memory, overloading the RAM
required to handle them all", wasn't assessed,
evaluated & programmed for.

You have less than zero credibility, so your
accusations carry no weight.

If such is your logic to excuse the reproach
we can only be grateful that you were not
adding to the programming nincompoops'
mental powers.

You should really go back to taking your
meds now.

Yes - some sleep is quite healthy & obviously
called for - try it yourself one of these nights.

I'm a just because I mistyped something?

"You clearly have diminished capabilities
when it comes to reading comprehension,
if not comprehension in general."

Has some of your self esteem been restored
now? Get a clue and join the real world.
That might solve your real problem.

But not the world's problem of sci.Stupidity.

Ok, now go crawl back into whatever cave
you crawled out of.

--
Greg Crinklaw
Astronomical Software Developer

O dear - & he doesn't even realise that he
cannot retro-calculate observations beyond
the Trecento, _ie_ follow the logic in
http://www.paf.li/05%20Evidence.pdf,
let alone predict the future.

Old January 28th 04, 12:46 AM
Dave Jessie

Old January 28th 04, 01:06 PM

In article RBuRb.127928$sv6.686203@attbi_s52,
"Robert J. Kolker" wrote:

wrote:

Do you keep your disk cleaned up or do you wait until you
have to clean it up? I'll by one of my pennies that you
wait until it becomes necessary.

I run my file cleaner once a week like clock work and even more often if
I have done file creation intensive work.

And do you do this ala a user command or a timed batch job? Batch
isn't usually done on a realtime system. Do you really take a chance
and do the purge system-wide or do you limit it to a directory?
A system-wide purge is just asking for Murphy to make visit and
there aren't any operators to restore the one crucial file on Mars.

... I also purge my mailboxes of
junk and deleted e-mail every other day. My capacity usage never exceeds
five percent, unless someone sends me mail with a really humongous file
attachment.

Does the disk usage report include files that can be undeleted?
If it doesn't, then you have lots of crap on your disk that is
invisible to you but NOT the operating system.

I have see a file full meassage on my computer maybe once, about 12
years ago.

For what kind of capacity? Now compare that to the RAM on Mars.
Also remember that RAM is memory not disk.

/BAH

Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.
Old January 29th 04, 01:56 PM
Mark McIntyre

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:30:09 GMT, in uk.sci.astronomy , "Robert J.
Kolker" wrote:

wrote:

Do you keep your disk cleaned up or do you wait until you
have to clean it up? I'll by one of my pennies that you
wait until it becomes necessary.

I run my file cleaner once a week like clock work and even more often if
I have done file creation intensive work. I also purge my mailboxes of
junk and deleted e-mail every other day. My capacity usage never exceeds
five percent, unless someone sends me mail with a really humongous file
attachment.

Then IMHO you're an obsessive-compulsive and highly atypical.

I have see a file full meassage on my computer maybe once, about 12
years ago.

Yark. Thats just plain weird !

--
Mark McIntyre