modeling the Si-based life

Old March 9th 04, 01:17 AM
Amirsaman

Default modeling the Si-based life

I am really interested in a possible model for the silicon-based life.
So, could you please help me with these questions and also share
anything you possibly think could help me in modeling a silicon-based
life?
Thank you
Lets assume there exists a silicon-based life:
#1. what are the most common chemical reactions that we would observe
in a silicon-based life?
#2. What are the candidate substances for getting oxidized or reduced
in order for life to get carried on with?
#3.What are the important building blocks of such life?
#4. What sort of chain could possibly have the same task as a DNA
molecule?
#5. What temperature range would such life sorm at?
#6. Is SiCl4 the best possible solvent that could be used in such
life?
Also, could you introduce me to possible book or references which
could further explain this topic ?
Thank you
Old March 9th 04, 04:29 PM
Dave

Take it from an astrobiologist, Amirsaman - : life based upon
silicon, as often portrayed in SF, Is and will Always remain fiction.

The idea is presumably based on the fact that silicon, like carbon, is
believed to have four electrons in the outer shell of each of its
atoms. The essence of life, however, is mostly dependent upon the
number of Protons in the Nucleus.
Carbon is, by far, the most frequently found base for life, and
carbon has a "perfect" Six protons in each nucleus.
Atoms with multiples of six protons will therefore be the best
candidates for living systems.
After carbon-based life, there would be magnesium-, argon-, chromium-
and zinc-based lifeforms, and so on.

hth

Boll**ks,

Looks like Darla failed her alien chemistry exams as well as the physics.
Obviously got a 1st in gobbledygook

DaveL

Old March 9th 04, 10:10 PM
Amirsaman

"Dave" wrote in message ...
[...]

WHY IS THE NUMBER 6 SO MAGICAL ?? WHAT IS SPECIAL ABOUT 6 PROTONS
THAT THE MULTIPLES OF IT WOULD ALSO BE REASONABLE FOR LIFE FORMATION
IN YOUR VIEW?
Old March 10th 04, 06:24 PM
Darla

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

In truth, I am not strictly speaking a chemist.
I am only trained in chemistry as it applies to living things - :
biochemistry.

However, Dave, we are Not talking biochemistry here; we are talking
biophysics, "nuclear biophysics" to be precise.

Please try to keep up. G

Darla

Old March 10th 04, 06:38 PM
Darla

"Amirsaman" wrote in message
m...

WHY IS THE NUMBER 6 SO MAGICAL ?? WHAT IS SPECIAL ABOUT 6 PROTONS
THAT THE MULTIPLES OF IT WOULD ALSO BE REASONABLE FOR LIFE FORMATION
IN YOUR VIEW?

I am right here, Amirsaman, so you do Not have to yell.

Yours are good questions about the number six.
The magic is in the Charge.
Five is too few, and seven is too many.
Life shows a preference for six with occasional penchant for multiples of
six.

This is Not an invention.
This is a Discovery.
Big difference.