Lost Apollo Film Salvage?

Old May 21st 13, 02:31 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

Default Lost Apollo Film Salvage?

tank? The TV monitor was filmed and is on disc 2 of "The Mighty Saturns".
I just looked it.

Btw, the clip on disc 2 before the LOX tank seems an ALOTS tracking.
From a camera pod on an USAF 707. We had this topic here some years ago.
I said there were no ALOTS in the Mighty Saturn collection. But some
details now suggest me otherwise.

(snips - thanks again for your good information!)

Apollo 6 & 8 had 4 cameras each and only one on each flight was ejected?
That means the 4 cameras who filmed the separation and 2cd stage ignition
are probably both at the sea floor in their S-1C wrecks?

And probably destroyed on impact. Kodachrome has been succesfully
processed after 19 years, but we are now at 46 years - more than twice
as long.

Yes, the cameras were destroyed. But the film was with the camera in a
box designed to survive an ejection in supersonic flow. The impact of
the S-1C pieces I estimate in the 80 - 150 km/h range. Not much bad for
a rather small box on water. It was probably crashed but not blown to
pieces. I expect the reel damaged but the film still recoverable.

The darkness and cold of the sea floor could be a good environment. But
I worry most about the water or bacteria. The lamps at recovery could
be a danger too. Reminds me of a still camera a Japanese team found
between skeletons in a sunken WWII submarine in Truk atoll in the 1960s
or 70s. Anyone know about this film condition?

I dont think about a normal development. Each of the three b/w layers has
to be developed somehow. After a b/w scan the final color film would be
created in a computer.

## CrossPoint v3.12d R ##