Jupiter & Ganymede

Old September 5th 10, 01:50 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Pete Lawrence[_4_]

Default Jupiter & Ganymede

Hi all, not posted on usenet for a long time! Here's a shot of Jupiter
I took with my C-14 on the night of September 3/4 2010. This
particular shot was taken just as the planet's giant moon Ganymede was
exiting from Jupiter's disk.

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/jupiter...9-45_RGB15.jpg

--
Best regards,

Pete Lawrence
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old September 5th 10, 05:32 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
VicXnews

Pete Lawrence wrote in news:db4786t2q8e7eoqc7787o8079pddh6746m@
4ax.com:

Hi all, not posted on usenet for a long time! Here's a shot of Jupiter
I took with my C-14 on the night of September 3/4 2010. This
particular shot was taken just as the planet's giant moon Ganymede was
exiting from Jupiter's disk.

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/jupiter...9-45_RGB15.jpg

--
Best regards,

Pete Lawrence
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk

great shot...thanks for sharing
Old September 5th 10, 08:21 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
johnbee[_2_]

"Pete Lawrence" wrote in message
Hi all, not posted on usenet for a long time! Here's a shot of Jupiter
I took with my C-14 on the night of September 3/4 2010. This
particular shot was taken just as the planet's giant moon Ganymede was
exiting from Jupiter's disk.

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/jupiter...9-45_RGB15.jpg

--
Best regards,

Pete Lawrence
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk

Terrific photo thanks,

Old September 5th 10, 08:59 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Sep 5, 6:50*am, Pete Lawrence wrote:
Hi all, not posted on usenet for a long time! Here's a shot of Jupiter
I took with my C-14 on the night of September 3/4 2010. This
particular shot was taken just as the planet's giant moon Ganymede was
exiting from Jupiter's disk.

This is a very impressive photograph.

I presume this isn't a single exposure, but instead the sum of the
good images, during moments of perfect seeing, from a series of shots.
(In fact, given that a 14 inch telescope is a bit big compared to
atmospheric cells, did you also use some type of adaptive optics?)

A few years ago, before those techniques were used by amateurs, an
image like that would have been expected to have been taken by the
Hubble Space Telescope - not an amateur telescope, nor, before the
earlier advent of adaptive optics in that context, even by one of the
largest earthbound observatories.

John Savard
Old September 5th 10, 09:20 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

Absolutely stunning!

Congratulations.

Old September 5th 10, 11:33 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Eddie Lyons

"Pete Lawrence" wrote in message
Hi all, not posted on usenet for a long time! Here's a shot of Jupiter
I took with my C-14 on the night of September 3/4 2010. This
particular shot was taken just as the planet's giant moon Ganymede was
exiting from Jupiter's disk.

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/jupiter...9-45_RGB15.jpg

--
Best regards,

Pete Lawrence
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk

Magnificent image! Thanks for posting it.

Eddie Lyons
Portsmouth, UK

Old September 6th 10, 11:27 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Neil[_2_]

"Pete Lawrence" wrote in message
Hi all, not posted on usenet for a long time!

Too long! I was thinking of quitting this group but if it's picking up again
I'll stick around.

Here's a shot of Jupiter
I took with my C-14 on the night of September 3/4 2010. This
particular shot was taken just as the planet's giant moon Ganymede was
exiting from Jupiter's disk.

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/jupiter...9-45_RGB15.jpg

Although it highlights how far I've still got to go in astrophotography it's
wonderful to see these images and be motivated by them to keep going.

Neil

Old September 6th 10, 08:26 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Keith[_2_]

Pete Lawrence wrote in
:

Hi all, not posted on usenet for a long time! Here's a shot of
Jupiter I took with my C-14 on the night of September 3/4 2010.
This particular shot was taken just as the planet's giant moon
Ganymede was exiting from Jupiter's disk.

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/jupiter...9-45_RGB15.jpg

--
Best regards,

Pete Lawrence
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk

One word: Wow! Thanks for posting.

-Keith
Old September 6th 10, 08:47 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Mike Dworetsky

Pete Lawrence wrote:
Hi all, not posted on usenet for a long time! Here's a shot of Jupiter
I took with my C-14 on the night of September 3/4 2010. This
particular shot was taken just as the planet's giant moon Ganymede was
exiting from Jupiter's disk.

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/jupiter...9-45_RGB15.jpg

Outstanding, Pete. Did you use an atmospheric refraction compensator?

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove pants sp*mbl*ck to reply)