"white noise" monitoring?

Old January 26th 05, 02:24 AM
Paul Murphy

A web site that is fun to play with is the Great Circle Mapper:
http://gc.kls2.com.

The great circle between NYC and Shannon goes right through the middle of
Newfoundland, so I bet that's what I saw. I guess with winds, etc, there is
an outside chance I saw part of Iceland, but I'm pretty sure it was
Newfoundland. If you fly from NYC to Helsinki, you go over Iceland.

Old January 26th 05, 09:31 AM

Paul Murphy wrote:
A web site that is fun to play with is the Great Circle Mapper:
http://gc.kls2.com.

The great circle between NYC and Shannon goes right through the

middle of
Newfoundland, so I bet that's what I saw. I guess with winds, etc,

there is
an outside chance I saw part of Iceland, but I'm pretty sure it was
Newfoundland. If you fly from NYC to Helsinki, you go over Iceland.

Aircraft that fly between the US east coast and Western Europe do not
fly the great circle route. They fly the NAT tracks and sometime the
tracks are far to the south of the great circle route and sometimes
they are far to the north.