Dark Matter

Old May 30th 06, 11:47 PM posted to sci.space.science

Default Dark Matter

Hi everyone I'm new to this group. Is everyone or most everyone here
scientist and / or have ph.d's or degrees in this area? is this open
for no degreed persons? I hold no credentials however am very curious
about space, astronomy ect. I mostly read and watch informative shows
i.e. nova ect. Question: anyone have any personal theorys on what the
Dark Matter of space might be? I read in some article that with all the
stars and suns in the universe it didnt make sense that the universe is
dark. I have my own thoughts on this but first wanted to hear what
other people are coming up with.

Old June 5th 06, 05:37 PM posted to sci.space.science

Winnifred wrote:
anyone have any personal theorys on what the
Dark Matter of space might be?

The wiki page on dark matter has a good overview. You should take a
look at it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matter

"At present, the most common view is that dark matter is primarily
non-baryonic, made of one or more elementary particles other than the
usual electrons, protons, neutrons, and known neutrinos. The most
commonly proposed particles are axions, sterile neutrinos, SIMPs
(Strongly Interacting Massive Particles), and WIMPs (Weakly Interacting
Massive Particles, including neutralinos)."

I read in some article that with all the
stars and suns in the universe it didnt make sense that the universe is
dark.

I believe you are confusing dark matter with Olbers' paradox, which is
the observation that, if there were an infinite number of stars in
infinite space, every point in the night sky would be illuminated.
Olbers' paradox really has nothing to do with dark matter. The
explaination for the paradox has to do with the expainsion of the
universe (unknown in Olbers' time) and the finite age of the universe,
and even so, it turns out that the universe is finite.

hope that helps.

chris