Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation,

Old January 26th 06, 04:36 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.space.science,sci.space.tech

Default Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation,

InEurope wrote:
Hi I have two question

1. The CMB (Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation) Scientist say that it
isotropic through out our universe , could it be just left over radiation of
Nebulae which founded our solar system so its just locally

No.

2. Apollo mission which laded on the moon left US flag , is it possible
for Earth based telescopes to view it, ?

No.

TIA

Your welcome.

Old January 27th 06, 12:06 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.space.science,sci.space.tech

I'd imagine it will not be that long till an earth based telescope would
have the resolution, with adaptive optics to in theory, see such a small
thing, but why wait? We can already bounce lasers off the corner cubes left
at the sites perfectly well, if you are suggesting that it would be proof we
were there!

There are some probes planned that will be able to at least see the LEM
bottom stages, I imagine.

Cosmic microwave background is an interesting one, as presumably, what we
'see' is reflections and refractions from the bodies in the Universe. I
understand its not as uniform in its distribution as first thought, and I am
not sure if this result is right, as any radiation must have a polarity, and
surely, with all that bouncing about, it will be pretty chaotic by now, so
any tendency for the receiver system to favour a polarity, would upset the
readings, and of course, you can get summing and cancellation when equal
amounts of a given frequency are received with different phase
relationships, and with the obvious doppler effects spreading your dominant
frequencies, ie those not absorbed by molecules already, you may end up
proving nothing worth worrying about!

Brian untrained independent thinker :-)

Email:

Old January 27th 06, 01:29 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.space.science,sci.space.tech

InEurope wrote:
Hi I have two question

1. The CMB (Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation) Scientist say that it
isotropic through out our universe , could it be just left over radiation of
Nebulae which founded our solar system so its just locally

2. Apollo mission which laded on the moon left US flag , is it possible
for Earth based telescopes to view it, ?

Do you own homework.

Old January 27th 06, 11:04 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.space.science,sci.space.tech

Apollo mission which laded on the moon left US flag , is it possible
for Earth based telescopes to view it, ?

The earth was overhead at all apollo landing sites so a properly
erected flag would be almost invisible from above. Luckily for your
idea most of the flags were blown over by pre-launch hot-fire tests
and the actual launches.

Unfortunately, the flags are less then a metre across, and a telescope
on earth would have at best 10 metre resolution, and probably worse, so
the flags can not be seen from Earth.

Old January 30th 06, 06:27 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.space.science,sci.space.tech

InEurope wrote:
1. The CMB (Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation) Scientist say that it
isotropic through out our universe , could it be just left over radiation of
Nebulae which founded our solar system so its just locally

The best place for this question would have been sci.astro.research.

The CMB isn't exactly isotropic, but it's pretty close. Current
research is mostly concerned with characterizing the anisotropies. But
to answer your question, one of the interesting properties of the CMB
is that it is opaque: the brightness temperature equals the color
temperature. This fact is often neglected in popular accounts, but
what it means is that any object we can see must be closer than the
CMB. Or in other words, the CMB must be farther away than the farthest
object we can see.

You might also do a web search on "Sunyaev-Zeldovich effect," which
(among other reasons it's important) is evidence that the CMB is more
distant than large clusters of galaxies.

Old February 1st 06, 06:40 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.space.science,sci.space.tech

You can see some photographs taken by spacecraft
in orbit around the Moon (not from the Earth) which
do show vague hints of the Apollo hardware. Look at

http://stupendous.rit.edu/richmond/a...ar_lander.html

Michael Richmond

Old February 9th 06, 03:46 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.space.science,sci.space.tech

Brian Gaff wrote:
I'd imagine it will not be that long till an earth based telescope would
have the resolution, with adaptive optics to in theory, see such a small
thing, but why wait? We can already bounce lasers off the corner cubes left
at the sites perfectly well, if you are suggesting that it would be proof we
were there!

I suspect we'll never see an Earth-based telescope with that resolution
(adaptive optics is helpful, but there are limits). But yes on the
corner cube reflectors.

Cosmic microwave background is an interesting one, as presumably, what we
'see' is reflections and refractions from the bodies in the Universe.

No, opaque objects are, cosmically speaking, very few and far between,
and only a tiny fraction of the microwave background photons have ever
bounced off one. Most of the microwave background photons have travelled
uninterrupted from the fireball of the Big Bang (specifically, T+100k
years or thereabouts - when the primordial hydrogen and helium cooled
and thinned enough to become transparent).

understand its not as uniform in its distribution as first thought, and I am
not sure if this result is right, as any radiation must have a polarity, and
surely, with all that bouncing about, it will be pretty chaotic by now, so
any tendency for the receiver system to favour a polarity, would upset the
readings, and of course, you can get summing and cancellation when equal
amounts of a given frequency are received with different phase
relationships, and with the obvious doppler effects spreading your dominant
frequencies, ie those not absorbed by molecules already, you may end up
proving nothing worth worrying about!

It turns out to be not that chaotic or complicated - it's pretty much
pure black body radiation, with only the small nonuniformities predicted
by the inflationary version of the Big Bang theory (these
nonuniformities being what eventually condensed into galaxies).

--
"Always look on the bright side of life."
To reply by email, replace no.spam with my last name.
Old April 18th 06, 04:19 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.space.science,sci.space.tech

"Michael Smith" wrote in message
oups.com...
Apollo mission which laded on the moon left US flag , is it possible
for Earth based telescopes to view it, ?

The earth was overhead at all apollo landing sites so a properly
erected flag would be almost invisible from above. Luckily for your
idea most of the flags were blown over by pre-launch hot-fire tests
and the actual launches.

Umm, hot-fire tests? I don't think so. They pushed the button once and
took off. Not hot-fires.