Hoagland Debunked!

Old March 9th 04, 10:46 PM
Carl R. Osterwald

Default Hoagland Debunked!

In article , The Bad
Astronomer wrote:

"Carl R. Osterwald" wrote in message
I might add a couple other of his kooky claims. First, his claims that
Pathfinder landed in a former battlefield filled with military
equipment (!) and his image 'analysis' showing that the Pathfinder
spacecraft itself had Nazi symbols placed on the exterior (!):

That one is good enough for the "Say What?" page. I'll make a note of it.
Thanks!

Heh, no problem, glad to help.

-=-=-=-=-

Official AFA-B Bully, Pest, and Gummint Disinformation Agent
Old March 9th 04, 10:47 PM
Carl R. Osterwald

Forwarded to AFA-B, where Hoaxland is always on-topic:

In article , The Bad
Astronomer wrote:

Fellow netizens:

After many years, I have finally decided to take on Richard Hoagland's
nonsense about Mars. He has been relentless with his rubbish on "Coast
to Coast AM" over the past few months, and I couldn't stand it any
more.

The opening page is http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc...and/index.html
and from there you will find several more taking on the "Face", the
"City", his generic, bizarre conspiracy claims, and even his claims
about his credentials.

Enjoy.

-Phil Plait
The Bad Astronomer
http://www.badastronomy.com

Old March 9th 04, 11:25 PM
Carl R. Osterwald

In article , Cardinal Chunder
wrote:

Carl R. Osterwald wrote:
There is nothing to debate, Hoaxland is a kook.

Unfair! Perhaps he knows it's all bull**** but he has tapped into a rich
seam of idiots and is playing the part because it sells books.

Oh I agree, he feeds on the attention and the money, but after having
listened to him and read his screeds over the years, I am convinced
that he is also a True Believer.

-=-=-=-=-

Official AFA-B Bully, Pest, and Gummint Disinformation Agent
Old March 10th 04, 01:10 AM
The Bad Astronomer

"Linda" wrote in message news:y6m3c.40483$n17.38255@clgrps13...
That article appears to be really badly written and could have been written
years ago. They made
one small mention of the Rover mission and mostly talked about things that
were talked about in 1997
with Pathfinder. JUNK

Heh. First off, it's just me, so there is no "they" (except for the
external links and help I got from others). The words are all mine.

Second, several of the pages are about new things, like the "bunny",
the "Glass Worm" (from MGS, after Pathfinder), etc. Maybe you need to
read what I wrote more carefully.

If you have specific comments, I'm listening.
Old March 10th 04, 01:31 AM
Earl Colby Pottinger

"Orion" :

It sure took you long enough to "step up to the plate."
Hopefully, it will actually entail talking about the issues at hand, not
just more vitriolic character assassination.
If it's the latter, well, that's what political elections are for.
I look forward to listening to the debate.
Orion

Instead of guessing what the website says, why don't you read it instead?

Your second statement reads like a character assassination to me where you
raise a possible attack against the writer of the site before you even bother
to read it.

Earl Colby Pottinger

--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to
Old March 10th 04, 01:58 AM
John Griffin

"Orion" wrote:

It sure took you long enough to "step up to the plate."
Hopefully, it will actually entail talking about the issues
at hand, not just more vitriolic character assassination.

That's curious...would you please explain why you say "more
vitriolic character assassination"? Specifically, where's the
previous "vitriolic character assassination," and who wrote it?
You seem to want to say that Phil Plait has engaged in that sort
of thing in the past. Weird!

The most insulting thing that could be said about Hoagland would
be that he really believes all the stuff he spews.

You really should have looked at the site. It isn't too late.
(Besides that, it would be fun to watch someone try to refute
anything found there!)

Old March 10th 04, 02:11 AM
Mike kB

"The Bad Astronomer" wrote:
Heh. First off, it's just me, so there is no "they" (except for the
external links and help I got from others). The words are all mine.

Second, several of the pages are about new things, like the "bunny".......

The bunny...hmmm....so NASA sent a poor little bunny to Mars. What a cruel
experiment, even if it was a killer rabbit.
I wonder how long it will take someone to analyze the rabbit's shadow to
prove it isn't there.

-Mike kB

Old March 10th 04, 02:27 AM
Packrat®

Astronomer wrote:

Fellow netizens:

After many years, I have finally decided to take on Richard Hoagland's
nonsense about Mars. He has been relentless with his rubbish on "Coast
to Coast AM" over the past few months, and I couldn't stand it any
more.

The opening page is http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc...and/index.html
and from there you will find several more taking on the "Face", the
"City", his generic, bizarre conspiracy claims, and even his claims
about his credentials.

Enjoy.

-Phil Plait
The Bad Astronomer
http://www.badastronomy.com

Overdue, but much appreciated!
(Long time enthusiast of the web site)

- pack

Old March 10th 04, 02:29 AM
CLT

Part of the Hoaxie fan-club?

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?
Try the Lunar Observing Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lunar-observing/
Lunar Picture of the Day http://www.lpod.org/
************************************

"Linda" wrote in message
> [...]

om...

Old March 10th 04, 02:33 AM
CLT

"Orion" wrote in message
It sure took you long enough to "step up to the plate."
Hopefully, it will actually entail talking about the issues at hand, not
just more vitriolic character assassination.
If it's the latter, well, that's what political elections are for.
I look forward to listening to the debate.
Orion

Hi Phil,

I liked seeing Hoaxie debunked, but have to admit that one of my first
thoughts was to wonder if this gave him more credit than he deserves. But
from the looks of things with Orion and Linda, it appears we have people
here who have actually thought he was something serious, and not just a bad
joke.

That's scary.

[...]

---