What's the heaviest rocket the Crawlers can carry?

Old September 18th 05, 06:09 PM
D. Scott Ferrin

Default What's the heaviest rocket the Crawlers can carry?

Old September 19th 05, 03:38 AM
Damon Hill

D. Scott Ferrin wrote in
:

Excluding clusters of large solid motors, I'd say the
limiting factor with liquid fueled rockets are the
dimensions of the VAB doors. Empty tankage doesn't
weigh that much, since rockets have to be as light
as practical.

--Damon

Old September 19th 05, 04:00 PM
Jeff Findley

"Damon Hill" wrote in message
31...
D. Scott Ferrin wrote in
:

Excluding clusters of large solid motors, I'd say the
limiting factor with liquid fueled rockets are the
dimensions of the VAB doors. Empty tankage doesn't
weigh that much, since rockets have to be as light
as practical.

But NASA wants the SDHLV, which will use SRB's. That brings up the
question, how many SRB's could you put on a SDHLV before you exceed the
crawler's limits?

Jeff

Old September 19th 05, 07:45 PM
Damon Hill

"Jeff Findley" wrote in news:49280$432ed277
:

"Damon Hill" wrote in message
31...
D. Scott Ferrin wrote in
:

Excluding clusters of large solid motors, I'd say the
limiting factor with liquid fueled rockets are the
dimensions of the VAB doors. Empty tankage doesn't
weigh that much, since rockets have to be as light
as practical.

But NASA wants the SDHLV, which will use SRB's. That brings up the
question, how many SRB's could you put on a SDHLV before you exceed the
crawler's limits?

I think the Shuttle stack points at the answer. SDHLV
probably won't weigh much more than either Shuttle
or Saturn V. If more than two SRBs are ever employed,
then major modifications will have to be made to the
mobile launch platforms and it might be more practical
to build new equipment. The MLPs are already about
40 years old and have seen a lot of pounding.

I think NASA wants to keep the launch infrastructure
pretty much the way it already is. There will be changes,
of course.

--Damon

Big dumb rockets vs. small dumb rockets Andrew Nowicki Policy 28 February 10th 05 12:55 AM
Scrapping Scram sanman Policy 28 November 7th 04 06:24 PM
captive carry test prepares NASA for next Hyper-X flight Jacques van Oene Space Shuttle 0 January 23rd 04 05:50 PM
NEWS: Redstone rocket turns golden today - Huntsville Times Rusty B History 0 August 20th 03 10:42 PM
Rockets not carrying fuel. Robert Clark Technology 3 August 7th 03 01:22 PM