Problems with getting to Mars

Old April 4th 04, 04:53 AM
Christopher M. Jones

Default Problems with getting to Mars

"jacob navia" wrote in message ...
If you contaminate the planet you will never be sure
which bacteria are earth bacteria and which are
marsians unless they are radically different.

Luckily, the overwhelming likelihood is that they will be
radically different. Secondarily, Martian microbes will
be suited to the extant Martian ecological niches whereas
newly arrived Earth microbes will not be. Meaning that
the population of indigenous Martian bugs should vastly
exceed that of foreigners for a long time to come.
Old April 4th 04, 07:13 AM
jjustwwondering

Old April 5th 04, 09:57 AM
Paul Blay

"G EddieA95" wrote ...

It's not the only possibility though - but given the 'God Fearing Nation'
bit it's probably the only one that Bush would approve of other than
celibacy / hypocrisy.

If our country can't get a crew that can do without sexual pleasure for the
duration of a Mars mission, then the Chinese *should* inherit the cosmos.

That was there as an option in my post. I'd like to think that those planning
manned Mars missions will be able to take a rather more objective look at the
whole set of possibilities.

The last thing an interplanetary flight needs is concerns about pregnancy or
contraception,

Nice job of snipping.
Talking about which, a 'snip' would be one of the obvious options to avoid
concerns about pregnancy.

or other sexual issues.

Old April 6th 04, 09:08 PM
Michael Gallagher

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 21:44:39 +0200, "jacob navia"
wrote:

Yes, and that has to be tested, for several years in
earth orbit. How do those tanks do in vacuum? .... That is why I think it will take like 30-40 years.

We didn't need 30-40 years to land on the Moon -- we did it in eight.

We don't need 30-40 years to get ready for a Mars mission. 20 more
like it, and only because we're talking about doing a Moon base first.

..... 2050-2060 vintage
technology will offer you such an environment.

How do you know? Do you know what technologies will and won't be
prevalant in the year 2050? No, you don't anymore than someone living
in 1950 was right about what we'd have in 2000. Some came true, a lot
did not, and by and large the world was tweaked.

But a lot of work needs to be done first.

I'll agree to that. That's why it is important to do research on the
station and do a Moon base first.

But I do not think it will tale 60 years unless we go out of our way
to go at a snail's pace.

Old April 8th 04, 05:44 PM
Karl Hallowell

"jacob navia" wrote in message ...
"Karl Hallowell" a écrit dans le message de
om...

snip

So
what is the real bee in your bonnet? That sounds like the really
interesting thing here.

We should try to preserve any life we find in space.
Because of ethical reasons, and because of scientific
reasons.

Human exploration is risky because it could
mean a contact with an alien form of life. Until we know
for sure what is going on, we should always send machines
first.

Methane has been found some days ago. There are more
and more hints of a small but existent ecology, probably
completely underground, and with an alien biochemistry.

As I suspected, this is more interesting. Frankly, I have no problems
with careful exploration of possible life. There is an obvious
conflict here with human habitation since Mars does look pretty good
(IMHO of course) for humanity down the road. Even if life is
discovered, human habitation will probably win.

I don't know how risky (for us and for them) contact with
extraterrestrial life will turn out to be. But Mars will be a good
trial case.

Karl Hallowell