Pres. Kerry's NASA

Old February 9th 04, 09:33 PM
Hop David

Default Pres. Kerry's NASA

ed kyle wrote:
What will President Kerry do with NASA? My guess is that
he will want to dump the Bush Moon/Mars plans ASAP, but
will he be able to stop CEV and the end of Shuttle?

- Ed Kyle

A quick Google search gave this discouraging bit:

"While he supports the space program, he does not support another
mission to the moon. Investment in space exploration needs to be weighed
against other priorities in the federal budget, he said. He favors an
'appropriate' level of space research."

from http://telegram-franklinnh.com/2004/1/22/A2.html

One of his goals, evidently, is energy independence from the mideast.
He's big on photovoltaics but I saw no mention of nuclear power plants.
I hope he doesn't have the knee-jerk liberal reaction to the N word.

In my opinion, the western democracies achieving energy independence
would be the biggest blow against the crazy Wahabbis. We're funding
terrorism every time we fill our gas tanks. Of course you won't see
oilmen Bush or Cheney trying to end our petroleum addiction.

--
Hop David
http://clowder.net/hop/index.html

Old February 9th 04, 10:56 PM
Alexander Sheppard

Well, first of all, I think it is fairly clear that Kerry's position
on space will be... we just don't know! Who knew what Bush's position
on space was before he got into office? Or anyone else? We essentially
deal with the luck of the draw here. It's a very minor issue.

The indirect effects of a Kerry election will be much more significant.
First of all, he'll be running on an agenda of increased taxes that will
run a high risk of stalling the economic recovery in the U.S.

The economic recovery in the US has only a small amount to do with the
tax cuts. You can read this from such radical caucuses as the IMF/WB.

A slowed
economy led by a President whose consituency will insist on spending the
budget on domestic issues (expect national health care initiatives and
similar programs) will simply not have the discretion to spend "extra" or
"optional" money on new initiatives.

It's hard to see how somebody who cuts taxes (largely as a bonanza for
powerful interests, not as economic stimulus, which would target those
likely to spend) and runs up massive deficits is going to have a lot
of doe either.

If Kerry is brave enough to propose a single payer system, you can
probably expect savings of maybe 3% of GNP, judging from typical cases
in other countries.

Secondly, the defeat of G.W. Bush will be viewed in the rest of the world
as a repudiation of the war on terror.

Let's hope so. We're likely to see a lot more terror if this war on
terror goes on long enough. It kind of reminds me of the war on drugs.

Whether or not this is true, it
can't help but encourage new efforts to force the U.S. out of the Middle
East.

God forbid the US might be brought somehow to renounce its
imperialism. What do you think of PNAC?

Kerry's views of international terrorism as a law enforcement
issue, rather than a national security one, practically guarantee a
return to the previous policies for dealing with terrorists.

What would those be? Funding them? Being them?

I'd predict
a resurgance in large-scale terrorism against domestic & foreign U.S.
targets within a year of the election -- with the resulting economic
damage further reducing the money available for "optional" projects like
the CEV (or a Kerry equivalent).

Yeah, ok. Nobody has a clue whether there is going to be terrorism
against the US or not. The best you can do is stop committing similar,
though much larger, crimes against other countries. Win the hearts of
the poor of the world, help them instead of hurting them.

You know, Osama bin Laden had a clear rationale for favoring 9/11. You
ought to read it. There are clear reasons he lists. None of them have
really been broadcast in the American media--it's more convenient to
simply deny reality and broadcast fantasies about how they "hate our
freedom" or something.
Old February 9th 04, 11:20 PM
Hop David

Alexander Sheppard wrote:

You know, Osama bin Laden had a clear rationale for favoring 9/11. You
ought to read it.

Can you point to a website?

Old February 10th 04, 12:10 AM
Mark R. Whittington

"Hop David" wrote in message

Mark R. Whittington wrote:
"Kaido Kert" wrote in message
om...

"Mark R. Whittington" wrote in message

hlink.net...

"ed kyle" wrote in message
e.com...

What will President Kerry do with NASA? My guess is that
he will want to dump the Bush Moon/Mars plans ASAP, but
will he be able to stop CEV and the end of Shuttle?

- Ed Kyle

That's the assumption, though many people thought that Clinton would

cancel

the space station in 1993 and he did not.

My guess is that we would probably see the end of Americans in space

under a

Kerry administration, sooner or later.

I dont think he would have means to stop X-Prize or Space Adventures.
Americans could still go to space.

-kert

Don't be too sure about that. I do not think Kerry would exert himself

too
much to pass regulatory or tax incentives for private space travel.

Also, he
is quite capable of forbidding travel to the Moon or Mars out of
environmental reasons.

Environmental reasons? The Moon and Mars? Could you explain this in more
detail?

There's already a line of thought in the environmental movement that humans
should be barred from celestrial bodies in order to preserve their
environments. Robert Park, the "robots uber alles" advocate, is hitting on
this theme.

Old February 10th 04, 01:12 AM
Edward Wright

"Mark R. Whittington" wrote in message hlink.net...

My guess is that we would probably see the end of Americans in

space
under a Kerry administration, sooner or later.

I dont think he would have means to stop X-Prize or Space

Adventures.
Americans could still go to space.

Don't be too sure about that. I do not think Kerry would exert himself too
much to pass regulatory or tax incentives for private space travel.

Has the current Administration exerted itself to pass regulatory or
tax incentives? Ever since the Bush speech, supporters of the new
policy (including NASA watchers and curmudgeon bloggers) have taken to
dissing the idea that private enterprise might be a viable
alternative. Kerry probably wouldn't be any more supportive of
commercial space, but realistically, could he be any less?

Also, he is quite capable of forbidding travel to the Moon or Mars out of
environmental reasons.

Interesting (if a bit paranoid). Do you expect there will be
commercial travel to the Moon or Mars in the next eight years? (Kerry
won't be able to forbid anything after he leaves office.) That's at
least five years before Project Constellation is scheduled to land on
the Moon, isn't it?
Old February 10th 04, 02:11 AM
Hop David

Mark R. Whittington wrote:
"Hop David" wrote in message

Mark R. Whittington wrote:

"Kaido Kert" wrote in message
e.com...

"Mark R. Whittington" wrote in message

arthlink.net...

"ed kyle" wrote in message
gle.com...

[...]

Maintaining biodiversity on Earth is important for our comfort and survival.

The best reason I can think of for leaving planets and asteroids
untouched is so planetary scientists can have pristine samples to study.
There's something to be said for that, but this reason is not nearly as
compelling as maintaining biodiversity.

Old February 10th 04, 02:27 AM
Brian Thorn

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 18:11:13 -0700, Hop David
wrote:

Maintaining biodiversity on Earth is important for our comfort and survival.

What makes you believe that environmentalists are all interested in
human comfort or survival?

They are not.

Brian
Old February 10th 04, 02:33 AM
Terrell Miller

"Hop David" wrote in message

In my opinion, the western democracies achieving energy independence
would be the biggest blow against the crazy Wahabbis. We're funding
terrorism every time we fill our gas tanks.

one way of looking at it. There are others.

Of course you won't see
oilmen Bush or Cheney trying to end our petroleum addiction.

Oh sure they would. The minute that an alternative energy source can be
delivered to wholesale for a profit margin that's significantly cheaper than
what Big Oil gets selling gasoline, they'll switch over in a heartbeat.

They just don't want *you* figuring out how to do that

--
Terrell Miller

"It's one thing to burn down the **** house and another thing entirely to
install plumbing"
-PJ O'Rourke

Old February 10th 04, 02:34 AM
Terrell Miller

"ed kyle" wrote in message
om...

What will President Kerry do with NASA?

absolutely nothing, for rather obvious reasons...