Tabby's Star Dimming Again

Old April 3rd 18, 02:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default Tabby's Star Dimming Again

On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 04:39:33 -0700 (PDT), Gary Harnagel
wrote:

On Monday, April 2, 2018 at 7:37:42 AM UTC-6, Chris L Peterson wrote:

On Mon, 2 Apr 2018 05:14:19 -0700 (PDT), Gary Harnagel
wrote:

And do you REALLY believe
gov't bureaucrats would spend the money as wisely as corporations?

In general, yes. Public funding is pretty much the only thing that has
ever worked for scientific research that was long term or which didn't
promise immediate commercial results (or in some cases, didn't suggest
any commercial results at all).

Agreed ... for long-term vs. short term. But long term is already being
funded by the gov't.

Only in some cases. There are many areas where private enterprise is a
poor tool for providing something. This includes a lot of health care,
and that includes at least a number of areas of pharmaceutical
development, I think.
Old April 4th 18, 12:13 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gary Harnagel

wrote:

And do you REALLY believe
gov't bureaucrats would spend the money as wisely as corporations?

In general, yes. Public funding is pretty much the only thing that has
ever worked for scientific research that was long term or which didn't
promise immediate commercial results (or in some cases, didn't suggest
any commercial results at all).

Agreed ... for long-term vs. short term. But long term is already being
funded by the gov't.

Only in some cases. There are many areas where private enterprise is a
poor tool for providing something. This includes a lot of health care,
and that includes at least a number of areas of pharmaceutical
development, I think.

I know of some development of vaccines for virulent stuff by CDC, but I'm
not aware of pill development and such. I see a LOT of private pharma
outfits coming and going away.
Old April 4th 18, 05:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Razzmatazz wrote in
:

On Monday, April 2, 2018 at 10:41:14 AM UTC-5, Jibini Kula
Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
Razzmatazz wrote in
:

On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 5:49:29 PM UTC-5, Jibini Kula
Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:

Until Mommy and Daddy pass away, and you can't live in the
basement any more, anyway.

You know something,

I know many things.

what you wrote above could be taken as an
indication of a lack of intellect,

You are stupid, yes.

and sets a very poor example
if you really want to convince people of your ideas.

Y'all must be new around here, if you believe that I'm trying
to convince anyone of anything.

Why not
elevate your dialog

What would be the point of that?

and come out looking reasonably intelligent
instead of acting like a 3rd grader.

See, here's the thing, son: I'm imitating you. So if I look
childish, you're looking in a mirror.

Debate the ideas and forget
the insults.

Debate requires honest, well informed dialog from both sides.
Neither you nor Chris is capable of such, so your attempt to
troll the master has failed.

You can't win. The only way to not lose is to not play. You
played.

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Your point is? The top of your head perhaps?

I know you are, but what am I?

Old April 4th 18, 05:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

You two really ought to get a room. You don't want ot leave stains on
teh carpet.

"Chris.B" wrote in
:

On Tuesday, 3 April 2018 03:25:42 UTC+2, Razzmatazz wrote:

Your point is? The top of your head perhaps?

Razzy

He has no need of a head. He never uses it so why bother having
one?

One the other hand..

https://www.health.harvard.edu/disea...ons/bile-duct-
diseases

Old April 4th 18, 06:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Razzmatazz

On Wednesday, April 4, 2018 at 11:46:35 AM UTC-5, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
Razzmatazz wrote in
:

[...]

You're off your meds again. Call Nurse Ratched tout suite!
Oh look, squirrel!
Old April 4th 18, 06:18 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Razzmatazz

On Wednesday, April 4, 2018 at 11:47:03 AM UTC-5, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
You two really ought to get a room. You don't want ot leave stains on
teh carpet.

"Chris.B" wrote in
:

On Tuesday, 3 April 2018 03:25:42 UTC+2, Razzmatazz wrote:

Your point is? The top of your head perhaps?

Razzy

He has no need of a head. He never uses it so why bother having
one?

One the other hand..

https://www.health.harvard.edu/disea...ons/bile-duct-
diseases

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

What's a teh carpet?
Old April 4th 18, 07:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[...]

"Terry Austin: like the polio vaccine, only with more
asshole."

Old April 4th 18, 07:45 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Razzmatazz wrote in
:

On Wednesday, April 4, 2018 at 11:47:03 AM UTC-5, Jibini Kula
Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
You two really ought to get a room. You don't want ot leave
stains on teh carpet.

"Chris.B" wrote in
:

On Tuesday, 3 April 2018 03:25:42 UTC+2, Razzmatazz wrote:

Your point is? The top of your head perhaps?

Razzy

He has no need of a head. He never uses it so why bother
having one?

One the other hand..

https://www.health.harvard.edu/disea...itions/bile-du
ct- diseases

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

What's a teh carpet?

I know y9ou are, but what am I?

Old April 4th 18, 11:01 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Razzmatazz

On Wednesday, April 4, 2018 at 1:44:44 PM UTC-5, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
I know you are, but what am I?

A Dipstick? I dunno, you tell me what you are.
Old April 5th 18, 12:08 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Razzmatazz wrote in
:

On Wednesday, April 4, 2018 at 1:44:44 PM UTC-5, Jibini Kula
Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
I know you are, but what am I?

A Dipstick? I dunno, you tell me what you are.

I know you are, but what am I?

(You will now reply.)

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Comet McNaught Dimming? Don Bruns Amateur Astronomy 9 January 15th 07 05:45 PM
Dimming Down Red Headlight [email protected] Amateur Astronomy 13 July 3rd 06 06:29 AM
Global Dimming zaax UK Astronomy 0 January 7th 05 01:46 AM
Online star map / star chart / star atlas Excalibur Astronomy Misc 3 September 12th 03 07:25 PM
Online star map / star chart / star atlas Excalibur Amateur Astronomy 3 September 12th 03 07:25 PM