Solar Power Satellite Concept

Old August 6th 10, 11:57 PM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

Default Solar Power Satellite Concept

I have developed a system that masses 600+ tonnes and is lofted into
orbit by a reusable vehicle derived from our experience with the
External Tank only.

The satellite consists of a 5.2 km diameter inflatable concentrator.
This concentrator focuses sunlight on to a 125 m diameter CPV/Emitter
array. This array beams IR laser energy at 900 nm to 8,000 receivers
across the visible face of the Earth. Each beam generates 1.25 MW at
the 22 m diameter receiver using silicon within a water filled lens
array. A total of 10,000 MW.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/35439593/S...-Satellite-GEO

At $0.042 per kWh each satellite generates $300 million per month in
revenues. Four satellites, including the launcher fleet and
operations
to place four satellites cost less than $14.4 billion - the annual
income of four satellites on GEO.

Multiple RS-68 pump sets at the base of each ET derived airframe feed
an aerospike engine at the base of each airframe - which work
together
in groups of 7 to create a multi-stage launcher that places the
satellite on orbit.

The satellite deploys on LEO and uses solar powered ion engines -
which give it 30 years of station keeping capability - to add 4.33
km/
sec to its velocity to take up an orbit at GEO. There the station
beams power to 8,000 stationary receivers across the visible face of
the Earth.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/31261680/Etdhlrlv-Addendum
http://www.scribd.com/doc/30943696/ETDHLRLV
Old August 7th 10, 07:33 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jim Davis

William Mook wrote:

I have developed a system that masses 600+ tonnes and is lofted
into orbit by a reusable vehicle derived from our experience
with the External Tank only.

What kind of reception did it receive when you presented it at this
year's International Space Development Conference/Space Investment
Summit in Chicago this past May? They had a two day Space Solar Power
Symposium this year.

Jim Davis

Old August 7th 10, 05:59 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jim Davis

William Mook wrote:

What kind of reception did it receive when you presented it at
this year's International Space Development Conference/Space
Investment Summit in Chicago this past May? They had a two day
Space Solar Power Symposium this year.

I didn't present.

Any particular reason why not? Surely you would have received much
more useful feedback there than you could expect here?

Jim Davis

Old August 7th 10, 11:42 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_1097_]

William Mook wrote:
I have developed a system that masses 600+ tonnes and is lofted into
orbit by a reusable vehicle derived from our experience with the
External Tank only.

Really? Where is the hardware?

Oh that's right. That's "I've designed on paper."

We've been done this road before Mook. Bend metal, get someone to bend
metal or go away.

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Old August 8th 10, 12:08 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Aug 7, 9:59*am, Jim Davis wrote:
William Mook wrote:
What kind of reception did it receive when you presented it at
this year's International Space Development Conference/Space
Investment Summit in Chicago this past May? They had a two day
Space Solar Power Symposium this year.

I didn't present.

Any particular reason why not? Surely you would have received much
more useful feedback there than you could expect here?

Jim Davis

Mook is only a good talker, not a team doer or much less an actual
leader.

His feedback needs are more intended as mind teasers and diversions
than anything else. If I were running NASA/DARPA, I'm not sure if I
could safely fit William Mook into any one of our think tanks, because
he'd always insist upon running the whole show and doing everything
extremely large.

~ BG
Old August 8th 10, 12:12 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Aug 7, 3:42*pm, "Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)"
wrote:
William Mook wrote:
I have developed a system that masses 600+ tonnes and is lofted into
orbit by a reusable vehicle derived from our experience with the
External Tank only.

Really? *Where is the hardware?

Oh that's right. That's "I've designed on paper."

We've been done this road before Mook. *Bend metal, get someone to bend
metal or go away.

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

I didn't know this Usenet/newsgroup was a certified shop-class for fly-
by-rocket expertise. Where's your better rocket or satellite of bent
metal?

~ BG
Old August 8th 10, 12:44 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_1098_]

wrote:
William Mook wrote:
I have developed a system that masses 600+ tonnes and is lofted into
orbit by a reusable vehicle derived from our experience with the
External Tank only.

Really? Where is the hardware?

Oh that's right. That's "I've designed on paper."

We've been done this road before Mook. Bend metal, get someone to
bend metal or go away.

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

I didn't know this Usenet/newsgroup was a certified shop-class for
fly- by-rocket expertise. Where's your better rocket or satellite of
bent metal?

When I claim to have developed one, I'll be more than willing to show it.
Notice, I don't make those claims.

There have been others here who HAVE made those claims and some have
actually bent metal.

Mook simply wears out keyboards.

~ BG

Old August 8th 10, 01:25 AM posted to sci.space.policy
American

wrote:
William Mook wrote:
[...]

I've done it, actually bent steel and aluminum on the huge Chicago-
type metal presses in Houston @ Rawson Koenig, Inc, and
changed dies, unjammed the punch/cutter of the mighty Salvagnini:

http://www.salvagnini.com

After getting one of these beasts aloft, how far would one or more
of these kinds actually progress towards mass producing
after an NEO'd refiner, or orbitally-based fabrication facility...

(Guess I'll have to talk to somebody at U.S.Steel... )

American

"All for one, one for all" - Dumas (1802 - 1870)
Old August 8th 10, 02:20 AM posted to sci.space.policy
John M[_2_]

"William Mook" wrote in message
I have developed a system that masses 600+ tonnes and is lofted into
orbit by a reusable vehicle derived from our experience with the
External Tank only.

Instead of building a new heavy-lift, what needs to be
researched is a solar powered laser power system.
Then the mile size pv satellites wouldn't be needed, just
a mirror a few hundred feet across. Also the mirror could
be in geo, then laser to the power to low orbit relay stations
that microwave it to the ground in the usual way.

"Solar light pumped laser and cooling method"

"Moreover, the solar light pumped laser is capable of being light weighted
and efficiently reducing an entropy of the renewable energy."
http://www.freshpatents.com/Solar-li...0080225912.php

The satellite consists of a 5.2 km diameter inflatable concentrator.
This concentrator focuses sunlight on to a 125 m diameter CPV/Emitter
array. This array beams IR laser energy at 900 nm to 8,000 receivers
across the visible face of the Earth. Each beam generates 1.25 MW at
the 22 m diameter receiver using silicon within a water filled lens
array. A total of 10,000 MW.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/35439593/S...-Satellite-GEO

At $0.042 per kWh each satellite generates $300 million per month in
revenues. Four satellites, including the launcher fleet and
operations

Space Solar Power could fill markets that no other source
of electricity can. They say the reason India still has to import
food is a quarter of all their crops are ruined for a lack
of refrigeration (electricity). Combine that with the incredibly
....small costs.. of the receiving equipment on the ground, then
rural electrification and Space Solar Power are a marriage
made in heaven. Same goes for disasters and military uses.

Space Solar Power can charge whatever they need to charge.
They don't have to compete with anyone.