ASTRO: Palomar 5 From Colorado Springs

Old June 11th 08, 05:44 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

Default ASTRO: Palomar 5 From Colorado Springs

I did not know about the Pal globulars... I take it there are but a few...
They are not easy to record and were first thought to be dwarf ellipticals.
I suppose the first plates did not resolve the stars well.... This image is
only 60 min. and it is noisy, but the cluster stars show behind all the
foreground stars.

12.5" RCOS RC at 114"
ST8E/AO7
60 min. in 2 sub-exposures

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pal5.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	1953
Old June 12th 08, 02:35 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
John N. Gretchen III

nice work on this and ngc6691

Doug W. wrote:
I did not know about the Pal globulars... I take it there are but a few...
They are not easy to record and were first thought to be dwarf ellipticals.
I suppose the first plates did not resolve the stars well.... This image is
only 60 min. and it is noisy, but the cluster stars show behind all the
foreground stars.

12.5" RCOS RC at 114"
ST8E/AO7
60 min. in 2 sub-exposures

--
John N. Gretchen III
N5JNG NCS304
http://www.tisd.net/~jng3
Old June 12th 08, 05:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Doug W. wrote:
I did not know about the Pal globulars... I take it there are but a few...
They are not easy to record and were first thought to be dwarf ellipticals.
I suppose the first plates did not resolve the stars well.... This image is
only 60 min. and it is noisy, but the cluster stars show behind all the
foreground stars.

12.5" RCOS RC at 114"
ST8E/AO7
60 min. in 2 sub-exposures

You finally got some clear skies I see. Pal 5 is one of the more
difficult Palomar globulars. You did well with it. It is very spread
out. I've had Pal 10 and 11 on my list now for some time but so far
haven't found time to try them as they need lots of exposure time.
Weather this year has now clouded out 10 straight new moons and most of
the week around it. After 50 days of clouds the sun is out today but so
is the moon. Forecast is overcast by nightfall anyway.

I lost access to Usenet a week ago when Arvig stopped carrying it. For
a bit I was able to send text through Space Banter but they blocked all
my attempts to post images due to some software bug apparently in their
posting system. All uploads got a failed message anyway. After lots of
other problems I've finally found a way back on here.

Rick

Old June 13th 08, 11:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Good shooting, another interesting object. I'd like to know if this is a
sparse globular that has lost most of it's stars to tidal forces or if most
of the stars are just too faint to be seen. Still it is quite obvious that
this is not an open cluster.
I think Martin Germano posted one or two of the Palomar clusters, but they
sure are "exotic" targets.

Stefan

. ..

Old June 14th 08, 04:44 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

Hi Stefan... in fact, I came across martin's photo as I searched about this
cluster... it was a good image from his film days... I believe the
cluster is old and sparse these days... I take it that there are 4 red
giants in the cluster.... and that was interesting to some scientist... but
I'm not sure why...

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com

Old June 14th 08, 04:45 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

Hi Rick... yes clear but not to steady... still, better than it has been!
Thanks.

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com
"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
om...

Old June 14th 08, 04:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

Hi ya John... thanks for comments... hope all is well down your way... is
it HOT?

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com