Where's the Free Market Going with Commercial Space Development?

Old March 31st 10, 10:13 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.research
American

Default Robotic Flyby Spectroscopy of an Asteroid

On Mar 31, 3:59*pm, American wrote:
On Mar 18, 5:45*pm, American wrote:

On Mar 10, 2:12*pm, American wrote:

On Mar 8, 12:45*pm, American wrote:

On Mar 7, 5:57*pm, Brad Guth wrote:

On Mar 7, 2:18*pm, American wrote:

On Mar 6, wrote:

On Mar 6, 8:54*am, American wrote:

On Mar 5, wrote:

"Where's the Free Market Going with Commercial Space Development?"

Without 50% public support, it's going into the nearest toilet.

*~ BG

Why didn't the ISS have a referendum if $150 Billion has been spent so
far?

What does NASA have to show for it that's made nationally useful news?

What will NASA have to show that's does anything to spur growth in the
private sector that's worth $100 Billion over the next five years?

To me, it just seems like a total waste of human energy, as long as
nothing's being brought back from space that's worth anything except a
few more swollen heads to feed.

Myself and William Mook would have to agree with that.

Feasibility studies have been drawn out already to mine the asteroids
(example, John Lewis, Mining the Sky) and now there seems to be quite
a bit of controversy regarding how to get there and if the whole idea
is worthwhile - so why the difficulty with it? Why the coverup with
the Moon's "Orion" project in lieu of "50's Orion nuke-pulsed
spacecraft"? Why the campaign of disinformation? Why the fear of
masses of people going orbital? Why the fear of a metals glut? Who's
afraid of the competition? Why get the EPA excessively involved? Why
is "information" now so much more important to share with the
transnationalist global communications network , as they continue to
assume control over the masses, and consider THAT the more important
agenda than getting millions involved with orbital and interplanetary
business?

You know, it just gets tiresome without just a little more yankee
ingenuity making it to market - I'm starting to believe in the Tesla's
Pierce Arrow more than the new GM "makeover" - it's really disgusting
watching these unions grab obscene makeovers in the name of energy
efficiency.

American

No doubt that Tesla's Pierce Arrow with only a few refinements and
technological upgrades would become a terrific form of modern and
efficient transportation (as well as not much need of changing its
style either). *Energy transmitted through the air is perhaps another
good one that we'll never get to utilize as long as Big Energy has
anything to say about it.

William Mook offers similar Tesla like innovations that are off the
hook, so to speak, as well as myself have a few manageable ideas that
should benefit the greater good of humanity and most other
biodiversity that's currently traumatized past the point of no return.

*~ BG- Hide quoted text -

That sounds better, and to me a little more ingenious that what we've
got for the current state of the technology, which seems to be at risk
anytime references are made to improving anything above status-quo.

Where would captain Mook get off with making those asteroids into
piles of rubble for what clean sweep of useful and/or precious metals?

Really though, to what extent is the best of our refining capacity put
to use when so much sifting occurs after blowing everything to
smithereens? Why not find exposed vein deposits first, and then go in
from there? (It goes the same for all different kinds of metal - scan
the first few mm using gamma ray spectroscopy, then strip map the
results for review, choose the area on the asteroid with the largest
counts or hits per sq meter, and then go in for the drill, scan, sift,
and save the regolith containing the minimal impurities).

The electronics have already been invented to do these things.

Doesn't anyone remember the invention of EGS-4 code - used for
calculating the emitted gamma quantum energy that becomes deposited in
the detector, estimated as follows:

According to the distribution N(E,cosf) N_I quanta are generated
uniformly on the bottom and collateral borders of the detector and the
spectrum of their deposited energy N_loss(E) is determined.

Then the pulse-height spectrum is calculated due to the formula:

N_i(a_i,E)=[integral of ] [N_loss(ai,E)/sqrt[2pi](E')]exp[(E - E')2 /
2roe^2(E')]dE'

where a_i is the parameter of isotopes distribution, roe(E) is the
function depending on the detector specific properties. *The total
number of counts in photopeak decreases and scattered to direct gamma
quanta ratio increases when we increase the distribution parameter.

~

Nope, I'm surprised that our beloved Captain Mook hasn't heard of
this. Perhaps world-based access to massive doses of information has
already been rigged as being too reactionary for most, ref. Iridium,
Globalstar, Ares II, etc. - too much of a stopgap between earth and
earth-to-orbit technology.

IMO The American Association for the Advancement of Science needs to
be changed to The American Association for the Advancement of Science
AND Engineering.

American

Our moon(Selene) by far offers the motherload of the most valuable
minerals and elements like He3. *Secondly, there's the entire planet
Venus to pillage and plunder.

*~ BG- Hide quoted text -

Brad Guth wrote:

: Our moon(Selene) by far offers the *motherload

: of the most valuable minerals and elements like

: He3.

: Secondly, there's the entire planet Venus to

: pillage and plunder.

I did a research project on an MHD (magneto-hydrodynamic) device, such
as the control system diagram (for the induction circuit for a rapid-
firing pellet launcher -

http://home.comcast.net/~samuel_ransom/cnduct.gif

for generating traveling magnetic waves (used to propel fuel pellets
by using a chamber that is magnetically sealed from the return circuit
of LMH3).

: *~ BG

Unfortunately, man seems to be intruding in the powers of heaven by
using intellectual weapons of warfare and scientific achievement.

For example, it’s been reported that Russian space forces monitoring
HAARP (Which stands for the High frequency Active Aurora Resource
Program) have discovered that within the U.S. there has been unleashed
(Jan 22 I think), a considerable magnetoid "weapon" on the country of
Chile, as the “Americans” had also acomplished the same on Jan 14 in
Haiti.

Where did I hear this?

Check out these websites:

http://comics.beforeitsnews.com/stor...th_America_On_...

http://www.defence.pk/forums/strateg...ues/48777-us-h...

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/01/22...president.html

http://socioecohistory.wordpress.com...iller-quake-ca...

Unfortunately, these kinds of reports put a big giant SMEAR on this
kind of technology, so I'm kind of curious as to why this kind of
thing is being done.

Two main reasons that seem to cancel each other out - one is to
present the illusion that funding for the Patriot Act needs to be
taken into consideration, and the other is that some of our own elite
“controllers” against these sorts of ideas (e.g. enemies of
engineering “capitalism”) are forcing their will over American
citizens against new technology becoming mainstream information, e.g.
we are always witnessing what various psycho-dictators around the
world are doing by threatening or bullying others into a position of
perceived "weakness", and this is the very reason why we can see
transnationalist tensions focused back on America – our enemies want
to see us perceived as a “bully” all over the world because of our
engineering accomplishments, and never give credence to the “human”
value of our achievements.

American engineers don't happen to be from "all over the world". We
have a constitution, and we also have a code of ethics, unlike petty
or pirate dictators.

It's "If we can build it, then they will come"

NOT

"If THEY can build it, then WE will come".

Unfortunately with privacy and newfound technology at stake in every
nit and cranny throughout the WWW - nothing gets accomplished without
the usual batch of naysayers and homophobes polluting the promise.

American- Hide quoted text -

A measurement system from Monte-Carlo simulation can be adapted for
use in a robotic flyby of an NEA asteroid. Models include total gamma
quanta distribution and pulse height spectrum

read more »- Hide quoted text -

There is a version of the Fortran-to-Java converter in my possession,
and I will e-mail the file to anyone interested in using the applet
for demonstration purposes.

The Fortran 77 source file will be converted into an equivalent Java
source file, with each Fortran program unit translated into a Java
class.

I can supply the details on how to produce the file-name.java in the
current directory.

The Fortran source code that may be merged directly with the source
code of applet. If you are developing applets using Fortran, the
recommended usage is the Lahey Fortran 90 or similar (Fortran
Powerstation O.K.)

You may offer your applet programs to an SAR network user community by
becoming an SAR “Applet Development Partner”, and there are certain
advantages for starting one’s own asteroid simulation/mapping
distributive network (in terms of wider distribution).

American

Old April 2nd 10, 12:33 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.research
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Apr 1, 11:01*am, American wrote:
You can't even get yourself into the MODE of doing this Guth?

The applet program developer for a prospective SAR user community can
become an SAR Applet Development Partner. There is no cost involved.
However, all applet programs must be submitted to any developer for
testing and approval before Mercenary Marketing will promote any
applet to a general SAR user community. Depending on the nature of an
applet program, one may distribute it as shareware (free software) or
as a purchasable item. An SAR *can assist interested parties in
preparing their applets for distribution by,

• * * customizing an installation program for applet programs using
industry standard installation software
• * * assisting you in creating help files for your applet that are
accessible through an MM SAR WorkBench help-viewer
• * * listing your applet programs on our MM Website and in promotional
mailings
• * * invoicing, sales processing, product distribution, and accounting
for royalty distributions if your applet is distributed as a
purchasable item
• * * providing direct technical support to an SAR System user who is
using your applet programs on the condition that you provide back-end
support to MM’s SAR technical support staff.

Just some additional thoughts regarding how one can involve others in
deciding what could be a winning proposal with more people entering
the marketplace of ideas, and for establishing the prospect of
asteroid mapping using distributively simulated SAR technology.

~

? SAR (radar imaging?)

Why not use 3D gamma secondary/recoil imaging?

~ BG
Old April 5th 10, 06:59 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.research
American

On Apr 1, 7:33*pm, Brad Guth wrote:
[...]

Gamma ray spectroscopy is fully integrated into SAR systems:

http://www.grss-ieee.org/ieee-grs-s-...e-paper-award/

For information concerning X-ray Stimulated Photon Spectroscopy (XPS)
and Auger Electron Spectroscopy (AES), check out:

http://cass.jsc.nasa.gov/publications/psiw/psiw3.html.

It was recorded that the AES method uses focused electron beams rather
than X-rays to perform molecular studies, but that electron beams have
better spatial resolution. However, both of these methods were
recommended for on-site inspection of extraterrestial sources.

A robotic flyby would use a high resolution imaging spectrophotometer
capable of mapping the molecular surface of up to a square mile of
territory within a few hours. Parallel processing has already achieved
mapping tens of billions of particle collisions to describe flow in
fluids. (ref. Brosl Hasslacher, Lattice Gas Automata, published
August, 1985, and Springer Proceedings in Physics, Vol. 46, Cellular
Automata and Modeling of Complex Systems, p. 312, A Cellular Automata
Machine). Image processing could eliminate extraneous signatures to
only include the precise location of targeted molecules. (ref.
Ronnqvist, Pedersen, Fransson, Gustafsson, Kullander, Kjensmo, Nygard,
Kjensmo, Ellingsberg, and Weilhammer, A 64-Channel Pixel Readout Chip
For Dynamic X-ray Imaging, p. 351-355, 1996 IEEE Nuclear Science
Symposium, Anaheim, California), and Robert T. Cleary, A New CAMAC and
VXIbus High Performance Highway Interconnect, p. 460-464).

A collection of the most probable densities could then provide a map
for exploration, e.g.

“Algorithmic Foundation of Spectral Rarefaction for Measuring
Satellite Imagery Heterogeneity at Multiple Spatial Scales”:

http://www.mdpi.com/1424-8220/9/1/303/pdf

All radar systems pass the data from the matched filter to a
subsystem, referred to as the Detection Processor (DP), that
accomplishes data compression by comparing the matched filtered data
to a threshold. The potential targets (i.e., those that exceed the
threshold) are flagged and the remaining data may be rejected. A
block diagram of one possible general DP structure is shown at:

http://home.comcast.net/~samuel_ransom/fig1c.gif

At the input of the DP is the MCA, or Multi-Channel Analyzer, which
involves a FWD radix-4 and INVERSE radix-4 pipeline FFT (see section
on pipeline architecture). After the MCA, is a magnitude calculation
which involves a subsystem that approximates the magnitude to the I
and Q samples, where I is the intensity of the signal and Q is the
number of samples over the block size.

This is an amplitude estimator that calculates an estimate of the peak
amplitude of the signal based upon the amplitude of the three nearest
samples. This CFAR (Constant False Alarm Rate) subsystem provides an
estimate of the ambient noise or clutter level so that the threshold
can be varied dynamically to stabilize the false alarm rate.

The threshold logic unit selects which of several possible thresholds
is to be compared with the estimated signal amplitude thru the CFAR or
Multi-Channel Analyzer.

MCB or Multi-Channel Background, shows the broad spectrum
characteristics of the waveform, which is an input to an MCA emulator
for analysis. Finally, a comparator sets the ith bit of a binary
channel (BC) whenever the ith amplitude estimate exceeds the selected
threshold level.

~

Old April 6th 10, 07:16 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.research
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Apr 5, 10:59*am, American wrote:
[...]

So why are we not being properly informed as to the surface minerals
of our moon/Selene?

~ BG
Old April 6th 10, 10:19 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.research
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Apr 6, 12:05*pm, Chaim Leibowicz wrote:
On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 11:16:50 -0700 (PDT), Brad Guth

wrote:
So why are we not being properly informed as to the surface minerals
of our moon/Selene?

Possibly because you're too much of a senile ****wit to be bothered to
trim your goddamn bull**** quotes.

Being an anti-semite isn't enough for you, is it Guth?

So, obviously you and most other Semites don't have an objective clue
about our moon either. Why is that?

~ BG
Old April 7th 10, 09:20 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.research
American

On Apr 6, 2:16*pm, Brad Guth wrote:
[...]

As was stated in the parallel post "How to Make Use of an Asteroid on
Earth":

"The regolith in asteroids is cabonaceous - a clay-like substance
that
yeilds water upon heating. Stiudies have been done using solar
furnaces to extract the water as steam, and then recondense.

A ton of oxygen can then be split from 1.125 tons of recondensed
water
with approximately 5 tons of asteroidal regolith (carbonaceous).

Thus there is 1/10 the energy used to extract it compared to what it
would take with moon dirt - ilmenite, not to mention the external
source of hydrogen required - so on the contrary - the asteroid dirt
produces 0.125 tons hydrogen/ton oxygen using electrolysis, and a
remote source of water/oxygen is thus validated for use on manned
missions."

So, as stated earlier, it's just a cheaper way to go.

The example that I'm presenting here is a distributively based, GUI-
based program whose "master" reads, and then generates and displays a
time-domain signal, distributively consisting of two sinusoids plus
optional random noise, and then determines and displays the frequency
spectrum of the signal.

The program displays the time signal and the corresponding frequency
spectrum, with GUI elements.

American

Old April 7th 10, 09:54 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.research
American

On Apr 5, 1:59*pm, American wrote:
[...]

I'm answering myself here. How odd.

As was stated in the parallel post "How to Make Use of an Asteroid on
Earth":

"The regolith in asteroids is cabonaceous - a clay-like substance
that yields water upon heating. Studies have been done using solar
furnaces to extract the water as steam, and then recondense.
A ton of oxygen can then be split from 1.125 tons of recondensed
water with approximately 5 tons of asteroidal
regolith (carbonaceous).

Thus there is 1/10 the energy used to extract it compared to what it
would take with moon dirt - ilmenite, not to mention the external
source of hydrogen required - so on the contrary - the asteroid dirt
produces 0.125 tons hydrogen/ton oxygen using electrolysis, and a
remote source of water/oxygen is thus validated for use on manned
missions."

So, as stated earlier, it's just a cheaper way to go.

The example that I'm presenting here is distributively based, GUI-
based program whose ‘master’ reads, and then generates and displays
a time-domain signal, distributively consisting of two sinusoids plus
optional random noise, and then determines and displays the frequency
spectrum of the signal.

The distributive program displays the time signal and the corres-
ponding frequency spectrum, with GUI elements.

If a particular user’s applet is distributed as a purchasable item
Upon WorkBench approval, then as previously mentioned, technical

support to an SAR System user can utilize your applet programs
on the condition that you provide back-end support to MM’s SAR
technical support staff.

Each approved “user” would then have the ability to coordinate the
change in frequency, amplitude, and phase of each sinusoid,
which would become based upon the actual x-ray and gamma
frequency ranges in a “flyby” of scanned regolith.

Each scan can be for a different mineral, including H2O “ice”
crystal, that may be available in the C2M and C1I (“I” stands for
“Ivuna”) classes of carbonaceous chrondites, each containing
About 20% H2O (2% H) and 10% H2O.

So what's the hangup with Semites/Nazis being too much in
control of anything worth investigating - just for the sake of
maintaining an interest level?

Please stop the topic and/or author bashing without having
anything of substance to add, otherwise please help to strengthen
the impetus for establishing a better, cheaper earth-to-orbit
economy without the usual NASA entitlement programs getting involved.

Thanks,

American
Old April 8th 10, 06:36 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.research
American

Default What's the Holdup with Nuclear Pulse Propulsion?

On Apr 7, 4:54*pm, American wrote:
[...]

Try establishing even a small nuke-pulsed test facility, and then leap
head-first into the overlegislating requirements - "Homeland Security"
will outnumber "safe use" practices ten to one!

Overlegislated nuclear hazard & handling requirements can stall the
delivery of nuclear materials primarily because there are more Dept.
Energy "inspectors" involved, who are unable to work together in
forming an accurate timeline of deliverables, which would arrive at
some propulsion test facility for further manufacturing and processing
of the nuclear fuel into propulsive type units.

However, prior to arrival of the nuclear material, simulated pellets
may be used in a prototype design for a pellet "launcher" with the
following characteristics:

Feed Line Design

Coil for the axial magnetic field "pellet launcher" would be a
"simulator" of the LHe-4 superconducting circuit. With specifications
for the axial coil calculated, a correlation between the laboratory
version and the working model can be made on the basis of coil life
expectancy.

Assuming that LHe-4 is a perfect magnetic conductor, as well as a heat
sink for the injector, the coil life expectancy has to increase to
withstand a specific impulse of several minutes.

The ratio of coil spacing to coil radius is an important factor in
determining coil efficiency. With d = coil spacing, R = effective coil
radius, and p_r = pellet radius = 3.94/2, then the exiter coil and
axial field coil would depend upon the design velocity, or ddw /
(delta)(phi), where ddw represents the incremental change in radial
frequency (sec^-1), and delta(phi) is the constant current phase angle
difference imposed between adjacent coils in radians.

For a 3-dome system, there are 360 coils per dome, with each
representing a separate charging unit to the pellet injector.

There are 600 total charging units (of 360 coils each) per thruster.

The length of a single charging unit (360)(0.01313m) = 4.7268 meters,
and so grouping numbers of charging units into a single fuel cell
would require the length of the fuel cell to be a multiple of 4.7268
m.

A 15 second fuel cell would be

15(4.7268) = 70.902 meters

A 10 second fuel cell:

10(4.7268) = 47.268 meters

A six second fuel cell:

6(4.7268) = 28.36 meters

A five second fuel cell:

5(4.7268) = 23.634 meters

23.634 meters = 77' 6-15/32"

Choosing the five second fuel cell for reasons of compacting fuel
cells together into a single unit,

Fuel cell_total = 600 second total impulse / 5 seconds per cell

= 120 cells / thruster

We're also assuming that each cell's overall diameter (w/coolant lines
attached) is 7.5 cm diameter.

The feed lines should support a ten minute charge or six second total
specific impulse. This wwould require a total of 111,672 inches of
feed lines packed with pellets.

75 lines @ 1,489 inches/line can provide a maximum pellet repitition
rate of 120 pellets/second for a ten minute specific impulse.

Each feed line has a machined spiral surface contour on its inside
surface.

The coils are individually charged with dielectric capacitors, whose
thicknesses and strengths have been chosen to provide different
intensities of magnetohydrodynnamic force along the length of the
coil.

Ideas of this sort, IMHO, are just one of the many ways in which to
drive a more massive earth-to-orbit technology, but it would do so
without overextending the regulation that would tend to impede, if not
halt, the effort to which the R&D becomes applied.

It's also the long-term follow-up that can only serve to expand our
ingenuity, as well as our presence in the free-market system of
extraterrestrial resource development.

American

"It has pleased Almighty God to vouchsafe signal victories to the land
and naval forces engaged in suppressing an internal rebellion, and at
the same time to avert from our country the dangers of foreign
intervention and invasion..."

- Abraham Lincoln

Many Americans ask themselves, "Who can afford Rolex's $6,995Yachtmaster watch?" The sad fact is that this is not even the most expensiveone on the market. While they've carved out a distinctive niche in the highclass luxury market, many pe [email protected] Amateur Astronomy 0 April 22nd 08 03:53 AM
Many Americans ask themselves, "Who can afford Rolex's $6,995Yachtmaster watch?" The sad fact is that this is not even the most expensiveone on the market. While they've carved out a distinctive niche in the highclass luxury market, many pe [email protected] Amateur Astronomy 0 April 21st 08 07:24 AM
Space model kit market survey... Scott Lowther Policy 24 April 22nd 04 03:28 PM
Space Market nix.olimpica Policy 0 December 4th 03 04:43 PM
Boeing pulls Delta IV from commercial launch market Damon Hill Policy 25 August 24th 03 05:18 AM