Favorite Astro Objects Below the Equator?

Old October 19th 07, 04:31 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
W. Watson

Default Favorite Astro Objects Below the Equator?

Any favorite objects way down south? Popular lists?
--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: speckledwithStars.net

Old October 20th 07, 05:32 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
laura halliday

On 19 oct, 08:31, "W. Watson" wrote:
Any favorite objects way down south? Popular lists?

How far south?

I find the Magellanic Clouds and 47 Tucanae are best from
the southern hemisphere, though they are visible (albeit
down in the murk) from tropical northern hemisphere locations.
My first view of the Eta Carinae nebula was with binoculars
from St. Kilda Beach in Melbourne.

Otherwise, it's the Milky Way from Centaurus to Vela. Plus
getting to see constallations like Scorpius in their entirety
at a decent elevation.

The southern sky column and star charts in Sky & Telescope
are useful for planning.

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Non sequitur. Your ACKS are
Grid: CN89mg uncoordinated."
ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - Nomad the Network Engineer

Old October 20th 07, 04:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
W. Watson

Basically, from Santiago, 33 degrees +/- 8 degrees. I should have probably
mentioned that I'm interested in deep sky objects: galaxies, nebula, ...

I wonder if there's a sci.astro.amateur NG for S. America?

Old October 20th 07, 05:40 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Brian Tung[_1_]

W. Watson wrote:
Any favorite objects way down south? Popular lists?

S. Caro mentioned Crux. As long as you're down in Crux, take a look at
the Jewel Box (NGC 4755). When are you planning to go? That does
affect what you're going to be able to see to some degree (just as it
does in this hemisphere).

--
Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.html
Old October 21st 07, 07:00 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
W. Watson

I'm going down in mid-Nov. I'm surprised there's not something like the
Caldwell list, which I think just applies to the n. hemisphere.

Old October 21st 07, 05:08 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Robert Baker

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 06:00:07 GMT, "W. Watson" wrote:

I'm going down in mid-Nov. I'm surprised there's not something like the
Caldwell list, which I think just applies to the n. hemisphere.

Check out the Bennett Catalogue:
http://www.hawastsoc.org/deepsky/bennett.html

Robin Baker
Portland, OR USA

Old October 21st 07, 08:41 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Here's a nice book...
http://www.amazon.com/Hartungs-Astro...2995499&sr=1-5

but I have no idea why the price is so ridiculous. Didn't cost
anywhere near that much when I got it.

Alvan Clark