OT, but a spooky concept

Old April 27th 10, 08:25 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

Default OT, but a spooky concept

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
news
Just what the world needs - cruise missiles that can be hidden inside of,
and launched from, standard shipping containers:
http://defensetech.org/2010/04/27/co...rketing-video/
Right now, Hugo Chavez is coming in his pants.

My thoughts exactly. The video screams "Rogue nation! Protect yourself from
the evil United States with our new terror weapon, a cruise missile in a
shipping container!".

Jeff
--
"Take heart amid the deepening gloom
that your dog is finally getting enough cheese" - Deteriorata - National

Old April 27th 10, 09:18 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Rick Jones[_3_]

In sci.space.history Jeff Findley wrote:
My thoughts exactly. The video screams "Rogue nation! Protect
yourself from the evil United States with our new terror weapon, a
cruise missile in a shipping container!".

Make certain though you pay extra for top-stacking on the container
ship with nothing on either end of your container. Which will of
course make them a little more conspicuous.

rick jones
--
I don't interest myself in "why." I think more often in terms of
"when," sometimes "where;" always "how much." - Joubert
Old April 27th 10, 10:44 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Rick Jones[_3_]

In sci.space.history Pat Flannery wrote:
By the end of the week, Israel will claim Iran is going to buy them,
Iran will claim they have had their indigenous version in service
for years, Russia will claim China has stolen the design and is
making a rip-off version which they have sold to Pakistan, Pakistan
will say the only reason they got them is because India bought some
from the US, and the US will tell Israel to shut the **** up and
stop selling our technology to the Chinese.

You left-out the North Koreans

rick jones
Old April 27th 10, 10:46 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Jochem Huhmann

Pat Flannery writes:

On 4/27/2010 12:18 PM, Rick Jones wrote:

Make certain though you pay extra for top-stacking on the container
ship with nothing on either end of your container. Which will of
course make them a little more conspicuous.

I'd have to check, but if Russia itself deployed these, they might be in
violation of some arms treaties, particularly due to the fact that they
are disguised not to appear to be launchers.
Somebody over in Russia sure spotted a potential customer market though,
and many countries would line up for them, or just have a ball making
others think they might have them.
By the end of the week, Israel will claim Iran is going to buy them,
Iran will claim they have had their indigenous version in service for
years, Russia will claim China has stolen the design and is making a
rip-off version which they have sold to Pakistan, Pakistan will say the
only reason they got them is because India bought some from the US, and
the US will tell Israel to shut the **** up and stop selling our
technology to the Chinese.

And Russia will be very surprized at what all these people do with
something that is nothing but a concept yet.

Jochem

--
"A designer knows he has arrived at perfection not when there is no
longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away."

Old April 28th 10, 12:45 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
jonathan

"Jochem Huhmann" wrote in message

And Russia will be very surprized at what all these people do with
something that is nothing but a concept yet.

Those russians are trying so hard to be just like us.
Bless their hearts!

Jochem

Old April 28th 10, 01:04 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

On 4/27/2010 11:25 AM, Jeff Findley wrote:
"Pat wrote in message
news
Just what the world needs - cruise missiles that can be hidden inside of,
and launched from, standard shipping containers:
http://defensetech.org/2010/04/27/co...rketing-video/
Right now, Hugo Chavez is coming in his pants.

My thoughts exactly. The video screams "Rogue nation! Protect yourself from
the evil United States with our new terror weapon, a cruise missile in a
shipping container!".

I like the "Red Country/Blue Country" outlines. :-D
But why stop with just one launcher on a container ship?
Make the whole top level of containers these things, and have a
container ship that is more heavily armed than the Pyotr Velikiy Russian
flagship.
Alternately, unload them at the dock of a hostile nation with timers
installed, so that they actually launch from _inside_ the enemy nation.
Whole James Bond movie plot right there.

Pat

Old April 28th 10, 02:10 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

On 4/27/2010 1:46 PM, Jochem Huhmann wrote:

And Russia will be very surprized at what all these people do with
something that is nothing but a concept yet.

Oh, military analysts just live to get worked into a tizzy over stuff
like this, whether it's real or not:
http://modelarchives.free.fr/archive...Bounder_S.html
I still remember when the MiG-25 was made of titanium and could eat
Phantom II's for breakfast. ;-)

Pat
Old April 28th 10, 02:20 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Frogwatch

On Apr 27, 4:45*pm, "Jonathan" wrote:
"Jochem Huhmann" wrote in message

And Russia will be very surprized at what all these people do with
something that is nothing but a concept yet.

Those russians are trying so hard to be just like us.
Bless their hearts!

* * * *Jochem

--
"A designer knows he has arrived at perfection not when there is no
longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take
away."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

You really have to admire the guy who came up with this idea cuz he
sure gets a lot of people ****ed off.

The Spooky Sun/Hinode Early Operations and Near-Future Plans (Forwarded) Rand Simberg Policy 2 November 5th 06 09:28 PM
The Spooky Sun/Hinode Early Operations and Near-Future Plans (Forwarded) Andrew Yee News 0 October 31st 06 06:50 PM
The Spooky Sun/Hinode Early Operations and Near-Future Plans(Forwarded) Andrew Yee Astronomy Misc 0 October 31st 06 06:46 PM
Spooky... Chef! UK Astronomy 3 March 9th 05 10:04 AM
Spooky Action made real OncoBilly Amateur Astronomy 18 June 18th 04 12:06 AM