Soyuz moving, why all three?

Old October 5th 06, 09:52 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
John Doe

Default Soyuz moving, why all three?

Brian Gaff wrote:

OK, so this is more suited to the iss group, but I thought I'd ask why they
are all leaving the station to move the soyuz, surely if it blew up or
something, its better to still save one. OK pretty depressing thought, but I
thought in the past with three crew, this was only done with two people?

Mission rules: ISS only has as many humans as there are available
escape-vehicle seats.

When the Soyuz undocks, there are 0 escape-vehicle seats left on the
station, so 0 humans can stay in ISS.

If something happens while the soyuz is in transit between two ports and
the soyuz cannot redock, then the lone occupant is left stranded on the
station.

If something happens to the station while the soyuz is in transit, and
the soyuz has difficulty redocking, the station occupant may long be
dead by the time the soyuz does find a docking port that is usable.
Old October 5th 06, 06:33 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

There is something wrong with the logic there I feel. If one were still in
the station it would be no different to the situation we have been
discussing here with a stranded shuttle where many people would be on the
station with no usable craft to get back on till a rescue mission was
launched.

If one remained on the station, and something happened to the Soyuz, at
least he would be alive till another vehicle arrived.

Brian

Email:

Old October 5th 06, 08:42 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Skylon

Brian Gaff wrote:
There is something wrong with the logic there I feel. If one were still in
the station it would be no different to the situation we have been
discussing here with a stranded shuttle where many people would be on the
station with no usable craft to get back on till a rescue mission was
launched.

The difference there is that in a shuttle rescue scenario you are in a
contingency mode that is far from nominal.

That's like criticizing a ship at sea's Captain for taking on more
survivors from a shipwreck than he has lifeboats. What happens if HIS
ship sinks?

-A.L.