Trouble For Dark Energy Hypothesis?

Old January 14th 18, 05:42 PM posted to sci.physics.research,sci.astro.research
Jonathan Thornburg [remove -animal to reply][_3_]

Default Trouble For Dark Energy Hypothesis?

[[
Meta-comment: This discussion started in sci.physics.research, but
its "natural home" is in sci.astro.research. I've cross-posted this
article to both newsgroups, and set the Followup-To: header so further
discussion should be in s.a.r.
]]

Gary Harnagel wrote:
I'm having trouble picturing why we should see the CMBR at all. Since it's
traveling at the speed of light but we're moving somewhat slower, shouldn't
it have passed us long ago? I know, the FLWR metric must have something to
do with it, but ...

To try to answer Gary Harnagel's question:

begin analogy

Imagine an infinite static Euclidean universe (i.e., flat spacetime,
no gravity involved) filled with (stationary) fog which both emits and
scatters (visible) light, and consider a (stationary) observer in that
fog. Now suppose that at a time which we will label t=0, two things
happen:
* all the fog suddenly condenses into larger water droplets, and
* those water droplets no longer emit light.
Since the scattering cross-section of large water droplets is vastly
smaller than that of fog, the result is that at t0, the sea-of-droplets
is mostly transparent to light (certainly much more transparent than the
original fog was). In other words, at times t0 light basically travels
in straight lines, with little scattering, emission, or absorption.

What will our observer see at t=1 year?

Since at t0 there is minimal scattering, emission, or absorption, we
see that at t=1 year our observer will see (receive) those photons, and
only those photons, which were
(a) exactly 1 light-year away from her at t=0, and
(b) travelling directly towards her at t=0.
This holds in any direction our observer looks. In other words, at
t=1 year our observer will see a uniform glow on her "sky".

At t=2 years our observer will will see those photons, and only those
photons, which were
(a) exactly 2 light-years away from her at t=0, and
(b) travelling directly towards her at t=0.
This holds in any direction our observer looks. In other words, at
t=2 year our observer will see a uniform glow on her "sky". But that
glow is comprised of a *different set of photons, emitted at a different
set of events* than was the glow she saw at t=1 year.

Etc etc for any other time t0.

end analogy

As you can see, this analogy reproduces many of the features of the
CMBR. It doesn't reproduce the CMBR's temperature -- for that you need
a cosmological redshift between the last-scattering time (t=0 in the
analogy, approximately 0.5 million years after the big bang in standard
cosmology) and today. But the analogy does produce an all-sky uniform
glow seen by all observers, even at far-future times.

I hope this makes things a bit clearer (no pun intended).

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove -animal to reply]"
Dept of Astronomy & IUCSS, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA

Old January 15th 18, 10:30 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Gary Harnagel

[[

Gary Harnagel wrote:
[...]

Thanks, JT.

I like your fog analogy; however, let's consider the case where the fog
consists of photons which begin in some finite volume of space. They
would be moving in random directions at c and, presumably, would
interact in some process to create particles with mass, conserving
energy and momentum. But pair production can't satisfy both energy and
momentum conservation unless there is some other mass that can absorb
the excess of one or the other, yes? Of course, the big bang has the
same problem, as well as the problem of having equal parts matter and
antimatter.

Anyway, the created particles will still have kinetic energy and will
disperse, but at lower speeds than the unconverted photons. So my
original question is still unanswered by the fog analogy.

Old January 16th 18, 05:57 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Tom Roberts

-animal to reply] wrote:
[...]

our observer looks. In other words, at t=2 year our observer will see a
uniform glow on her "sky". But that glow is comprised of a *different set
of photons, emitted at a different set of events* than was the glow she saw
at t=1 year.

Etc etc for any other time t0.

end analogy

As you can see, this analogy reproduces many of the features of the CMBR.
It doesn't reproduce the CMBR's temperature -- for that you need a
cosmological redshift between the last-scattering time (t=0 in the
analogy, approximately 0.5 million years after the big bang in standard
cosmology) and today. But the analogy does produce an all-sky uniform glow
seen by all observers, even at far-future times.

I like your fog analogy; however, let's consider the case where the fog
consists of photons [...]

That is not the analogy. As the first sentence says, the fog "both
emits and scatters (visible) light". The correspondence to the
cosmological model and CMBR:
fog = primordial particles
water droplets = atoms
(visible) light = CMBR

At "recombination", z ~ 1100, the cosmological expansion had reduced
the average energies of primordial particles (protons, deuterons,
alphas, electrons, ...) so much that they could form stable atoms
(mostly hydrogen and helium). Suddenly the universe became nearly
transparent to electromagnetic radiation. Today we see CMBR photons
whose time of last scatter was ~ 13 gigayears ago.

At and after recombination, the energy of the CMBR photons is far
too low for pair production (threshold = 1.022E6 eV). During
recombination the CMBR photon energy peak was a few eV; today it
is 6.624E-4 eV.

BTW there should also be a cosmic neutrino background, which decoupled
much earlier than photons. It would be very interesting if this
could be detected.

Tom Roberts
Old January 16th 18, 11:31 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Martin Brown[_3_]

Gary Harnagel wrote:
[...]

In an infinite universe (or for that matter even a finite one that is
much larger in size than c*age_of_universe) there is always a surface of
last scattering where photons can escape from the previously opaque
plasma and travel more or less unhindered until they reach us.

The fog analogy is about as good as it gets to explain this.

would be moving in random directions at c and, presumably, would
interact in some process to create particles with mass, conserving
energy and momentum. But pair production can't satisfy both energy and
momentum conservation unless there is some other mass that can absorb
the excess of one or the other, yes? Of course, the big bang has the
same problem, as well as the problem of having equal parts matter and
antimatter.

Observationally near to us it appears that there was an excess of what
we call matter - otherwise there would be a lot more matter-antimatter
annihilation events seen. Other alternatives would require some sorting
of matter and antimatter on a galactic cluster scale. I don't think you
can observationally determine if this is the case.

Is there any way even in principle to determine observationally if all
clusters are made of matter as opposed to some being of antimatter?

Anyway, the created particles will still have kinetic energy and will
disperse, but at lower speeds than the unconverted photons. So my
original question is still unanswered by the fog analogy.

The photons from the cosmic microwave background have been going past
the our position ever since the universe first became transparent. Their
energy gradually decreasing as the universe expands and cools and also
by redshifting of the receding surface of emitters. There is always a
layer at just the right distance for its photons to be reaching us now.

I suppose if the universe was of finite extent the CMBR could go out
suddenly tomorrow. It does beg an interesting question in the very long
term future - will the CMBR gradually fade out to T=0 and time dilate as
the surface of last scattering approaches the particle horizon or will
the dark energy acceleration make it switch off sharply?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old January 16th 18, 11:31 PM posted to sci.astro.research

Gary Harnagel wrote:
I'm having trouble picturing why we should see the CMBR at all. Since it's
traveling at the speed of light but we're moving somewhat slower, shouldn't
it have passed us long ago? I know, the FLWR metric must have something to
do with it, but ...

I replied with an analogy:
# Imagine an infinite static Euclidean universe (i.e., flat spacetime,
# no gravity involved) filled with (stationary) fog which both emits and
# scatters (visible) light, and consider a (stationary) observer in that
# fog. [[...]]

Gary Harnagel replied:
I like your fog analogy; however, let's consider the case where the fog
consists of photons which begin in some finite volume of space.

Stop here.

In my analogy the fog consisted of matter (water) + a bunch of photons,
not just photons. And the matter+photons are everywhere in space, not
restricted to "some finite volume of space". The case that you're now
describing (photons only, restricted to a finite spatial volume) is not
a good analogy to the hot-big-bang-model CMBR formation.

In the hot-big-bang model, the "fog" consists of matter (mostly a plasma
of protons, alpha particles, and electrons) in radiative equilibrium
with am ambient field of (approximately black-body) photons. These
matter and photons are everywhere in space, not restricted to a finite
spatial volume.

In the hot-big-bang model the occurence analogous to my analogy's
"fog condensing" is (was) the temperature dropping low enough so that
the ambient matter could "condense" and form (mostly) hydrogen & helium
atoms. This happened roughly 0.5e6 years after the big bang.

ciao,
--

----- End forwarded message -----

Old January 16th 18, 11:45 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Phillip Helbig

In article , Martin Brown
writes:

I suppose if the universe was of finite extent the CMBR could go out
suddenly tomorrow. It does beg an interesting question in the very long
term future

I have to point out that it merely asks the question. Begging the
question means essentially answering a question with a statement which
repeats the question, e.g. "Why did you come here?" "Because I had a
desire to do so."

- will the CMBR gradually fade out to T=0 and time dilate as
the surface of last scattering approaches the particle horizon or will
the dark energy acceleration make it switch off sharply?

The particle horizon always increases in comoving coordinates and, in an
expanding universe, in proper distance as well. It is always behind the
surface of last scattering. The redshifts of both increase with time,
but it doesn't make sense to say that the latter approaches the particle
horizon.

If the cosmological constant comes to dominate the expansion, which
appears will happen in our universe, then the universe will
asymptotically approach the de Sitter model. This model has an event
horizon at a fixed proper distance. As the universe expands, objects
approach it, becoming infinitely redshifted when reaching it. There is
no sharp switch-off.

Old January 17th 18, 11:01 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Steve Willner

In article ,
Martin Brown writes:
Is there any way even in principle to determine observationally if all
clusters are made of matter as opposed to some being of antimatter?

I don't think there's any way to distinguish for any one
cluster. However, if a matter galaxy falls into an anti-matter
cluster or vice versa, there should be lots of gamma rays, which
should (I expect) heat the X-ray-emitting cluster gas in an obvious
pattern. Even more spectacularly, entire galaxy clusters sometimes
collide. If a collision between two "opposite types" took place, I
expect that would be obvious.

Steve Willner Phone 617-495-7123
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA
Old January 19th 18, 11:28 AM posted to sci.astro.research
Gary Harnagel

On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 9:57:35 AM UTC-7, Tom Roberts wrote:

On 1/15/18 1/15/18 3:30 PM, Gary Harnagel wrote:

BTW there should also be a cosmic neutrino background, which decoupled
much earlier than photons. It would be very interesting if this
could be detected.

Tom Roberts

The neutrino flux would be red-shifted by z ~ 1100 also, but today's neutrino
detectors aren't sensitive to energies below a few 100 KeV, yes? That means
primordial neutrinos would have to have had energies above 100 MeV.

BTW, did you get the email I sent you last November about my equipment?

Gary

[[Mod. note --
1. I am not an expert on this, but I think you're right: if you want
any direction-of-travel angular resolution (necessary to distinguish
other sources from the Sun's neutrino flux), today's neutrino
detectors have essentially no sensitivity to neutrinos with energies
below a few MeV.
2. Whoever the last line is directed to, replies should be private
(e.g., email); the newsgroup is for *public* conversations.
-- jt]]
Old January 23rd 18, 10:33 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Steve Willner

In article ,
Gary Harnagel writes:
The neutrino flux would be red-shifted by z ~ 1100 also,

This ignores the part about the neutrinos having decoupled long
before the photons. One source, which seems to be a textbook by
Daniel Baumann at Cambridge:
http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/db27...y/Chapter3.pdf
gives a neutrino decoupling redshift of 6E9. That corresponds to an
energy of about 1 Mev and a time about 1 s after the Big Bang.
Cosmological neutrinos should therefore have a kinetic energy today
of about 1/6 meV (i.e., milli-, not mega-). As the OP wrote, that's
very far from detectable.

Old January 24th 18, 11:55 PM posted to sci.astro.research
jacobnavia

Le 23/01/2018 22:33, Steve Willner a écrit :
In article ,
Gary Harnagel writes:
The neutrino flux would be red-shifted by z ~ 1100 also,

This ignores the part about the neutrinos having decoupled long
before the photons. One source, which seems to be a textbook by
Daniel Baumann at Cambridge:
http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/db27...y/Chapter3.pdf
gives a neutrino decoupling redshift of 6E9. That corresponds to an
energy of about 1 Mev and a time about 1 s after the Big Bang.
Cosmological neutrinos should therefore have a kinetic energy today
of about 1/6 meV (i.e., milli-, not mega-). As the OP wrote, that's
very far from detectable.

It depends on your antena's neutrino sensitivity.

Why do neutrinos react with some Chlorate compounds?

Isn't it a consequence of the geometry of the collision?

What about putting a ring of neutrino sensitive atoms orientable with an
outer magnetic field and just trying to point to the sun?

We could turn around the chlorine with its ring until we see what
direction and position should the chlorine have to intercept at best
neutrinos coming from a specific direction.

Why does underground chlorine detectors work?

Bceause among the millions of atoms, one has the right orientation to
exactly trap a neutrino.

Having an array of neutrino detectors at a molecular level would
increase sensitivity and positioning.

Or not?