Apogee or Oberwerk Binoculars?

Old March 27th 04, 12:42 AM
J. Thomas Jeffrey

Default Apogee or Oberwerk Binoculars?

Hello:

I am buying a pair of large binoculars. The ones I am interested in
are the Apogee 25x100mm ($250) and the Oberwerk 22x100 ($395).

Of course I know these need support. I will probably get the Universal
Astronomics Deluxe parallelogram mount ($430) unless someone suggests
a mount that would be better. Maybe a tripod would be better.

I would like to hear from users of these binoculars to help me choose
the best one. I plan on getting the binoculars first to test them and
then buy the mount latter.

Thank you for your help.

J. Thomas Jeffrey
Hypatia Astronomical Observatory
Old March 27th 04, 11:49 PM
Ed Cannon

I am buying a pair of large binoculars. The ones I am interested
in are the Apogee 25x100mm ($250) and the Oberwerk 22x100 ($395).

There's a lot of discussion of these and similar binoculars, and
how best to mount them, on the Cloudy Nights binoculars forum and
also the Yahoo binocular astronomy group (no registration required
to read the archive), and also on an AstroMart forum (registration
is required). Below are the URLs:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthrea...5,8,9,10&Board
=binoculars

http://astromart.com/messages.asp?forum_id=48