sci.astro

Old February 25th 04, 08:51 PM
Tom McDonald

Default sci.astro

wrote:

Tom McDonald writes:

OhBrother writes:

So you got yourself a computer,
and you l'arned yourself to type,
You found yourself a special cause,
and "truth" you love to hype.

You left out a stanza about those who post poetry to newsgroups
that aren't about poetry.

It's not about prose either, yet most of the posts are in
English prose. The point is communication.

Communication about the subject of astronomy, which isn't what
OhBrother was talking about, McDonald.

Dave,

Even the most on-topic scientific journals occasionally publish
articles, editorials and letters commenting about the field in
general. O'Bro, IMHO, was commenting on the ng in general.

You got communicated
to. Now you're communicating back. See? It worked.

Not the way it's supposed to, McDonald.

Your opinion, Dave. Others (including me) have a somewhat
broader view of the purpose of the ng, and what is appropriate to
post here.

You do, too. In fact, most of your posts have nothing to do
with astronomy, and everything to do with your being heard on
tangential issues. I for one wish you would practice what you
preach, and post on-topic astronomy-related materials. You've
got a lot to give on that score, and I do appreciate those posts
of yours.

You see, communication can
take place in any newsgroup. Which do you pick? One with an
appropriate topic. Or do you go to an auto parts store and start
complaining about those who show up looking for Kellogg's Frosted
Flakes?

Depends on my mood, Dave. And, of course, I can be in the auto
parts department of a Wal-Mart, and just point the Kellog's
Frosted Flakes shoppers to the grocery department. It's a more
apt metaphor than yours IMHO.

Tom McDonald

Old February 25th 04, 09:13 PM

Tom McDonald writes:

OhBrother writes:

So you got yourself a computer,
and you l'arned yourself to type,
You found yourself a special cause,
and "truth" you love to hype.

You left out a stanza about those who post poetry to newsgroups
that aren't about poetry.

It's not about prose either, yet most of the posts are in
English prose. The point is communication.

Communication about the subject of astronomy, which isn't what
OhBrother was talking about, McDonald.

Dave,

Even the most on-topic scientific journals occasionally publish
articles, editorials and letters commenting about the field in
general. O'Bro, IMHO, was commenting on the ng in general.

The field of astronomy is not a newsgroup, McDonald.

You got communicated
to. Now you're communicating back. See? It worked.

Not the way it's supposed to, McDonald.

Your opinion, Dave. Others (including me) have a somewhat
broader view of the purpose of the ng, and what is appropriate to
post here.

The purpose of the newsgroup is not to antagonize others, yet
that's exactly what Cypherpunk, DrPostman, and Phoenix, are
doing. And now we have OhBrother feeding those trolls with
his poetry.

You do, too. In fact, most of your posts have nothing to do
with astronomy, and everything to do with your being heard on
tangential issues.

I for one wish you would practice what you
preach, and post on-topic astronomy-related materials.

You're erroneously presupposing that I haven't been posting
on-topic astronomy-related materials, McDonald. Indeed, there
has been much criticism for countering the Planet X nonsense
of Nancy.

You've got a lot to give on that score, and I do appreciate
those posts of yours.

Meanwhile, I do not appreciate your support of someone who has
posted non-astronomy-related poetry to the newsgroup, McDonald.

You see, communication can
take place in any newsgroup. Which do you pick? One with an
appropriate topic. Or do you go to an auto parts store and start
complaining about those who show up looking for Kellogg's Frosted
Flakes?

Depends on my mood, Dave.

Really? When was the last time you were in an auto parts store
and complained about those who show up looking for Kellogg's
Frosted Flakes?

And, of course, I can be in the auto
parts department of a Wal-Mart, and just point the Kellog's
Frosted Flakes shoppers to the grocery department.

Irrelevant, given that I was talking about an auto parts store, not
the auto parts department of a Wal-Mart, McDonald.

It's a more apt metaphor than yours IMHO.

Classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim, given that sci.astro
is nowhere close to having the breadth of a Wal-Mart, McDonald.

Old February 25th 04, 09:38 PM
OhBrother

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:43:34 +0000, thole wrote:

OhBrother writes:

So you got yourself a computer,
and you l'arned yourself to type,
You found yourself a special cause,
and "truth" you love to hype.

You left out a stanza about those who post poetry to newsgroups
that aren't about poetry.

Dave,

You've erroneously presupposed that the post was merely "poetry"

You've also posted a non-astronomy response to what you've erroneously
presupposed to be poetry.

What you've erroneously presupposed to be poetry is in actuality a lyrical
rendition of selected astronomy newsgroup inhabitants (albeit 'metadata'
surrounding the astronomy newsgroup itself) rendered out with my razor
keen wit, apparently striking a nerve, thereby triggering your
most recent cascade of erroneous presupposition and meandering classical
invective, highlighting the outward projection of your trolling tendancies onto
others.

Please refrain from erroneously presupposing about my intentions in the
future and refrain from posting classical invective filled, off-topic erroneous
suppositions.

O'

Old February 25th 04, 09:51 PM
Mr. 4X

Excellent.

"OhBrother" wrote in message
news
So you got yourself a computer,
and you l'arned yourself to type,
You found yourself a special cause,
and "truth" you love to hype.

"The moon is hollow" you bellow in print
"And no man has ever been there" -
"Martian marbles are really round hermit crabs"
but nobody seems to really care.

"PlanetX is coming, it'll be here soon!"
you shout in CAPS all day
"And coal holds human bones and flesh",
but they only tell you 'Go away!'

You post digests of things they say
and lists of those you now hate
You cut and paste at a furious pace
on rumors, fables and matters of state.

"I want the data, they won't give it to me"
You moan and groan in pages long,
Who cares who 'they' are, you're just angry that all
and that's simply your most favorite song.

"I'm not a KoOk" you angrily cry,
as your online fist you pound
But no one agrees, theres no one there
but your computers whispering sound.

"I'll teach you all" again you scream
"I'll spam the group night and day"
But in the end, there'll be little proof,
That they came and carried you away.

You change your nym with each new post
Your remailer is without a peer,
But your neatly spaced, block style print,
Proclaims you too are somewhat queer.

So I advise, be merciful
when you fill this group with drool
You'd understand the group's names import
If only you'd finished school.

O'

Old February 26th 04, 12:04 AM

OhBrother writes:

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:43:34 +0000, thole wrote:

Who is "thole", OhBrother? Having attribution problems?

OhBrother writes:

So you got yourself a computer,
and you l'arned yourself to type,
You found yourself a special cause,
and "truth" you love to hype.

You left out a stanza about those who post poetry to newsgroups
that aren't about poetry.

Dave,

Where did the posting you've referenced contain the attribution
"Dave", OhBrother?

You've erroneously presupposed that the post was merely "poetry"

Incorrect, given that I never said it was "merely" poetry, OhBrother.

You've also posted a non-astronomy response to what you've erroneously
presupposed to be poetry.

You're erroneously presupposing that I erroneously presupposed your
posting to be poetry, OhBrother.

What you've erroneously presupposed to be poetry is in actuality a lyrical
rendition of selected astronomy newsgroup inhabitants (albeit 'metadata'
surrounding the astronomy newsgroup itself)

You're still erroneously presupposing that I erroneously presupposed
your posting to be poetry, OhBrother.

rendered out with my razor keen wit,

Classic chest beating.

apparently striking a nerve,

Since when is noting someone's hypocrisy a matter of striking a nerve,
OhBrother?

thereby triggering your
most recent cascade of erroneous presupposition and meandering classical
invective,

You're erroneously presupposing that I erroneously presupposed anything
and used any sort of "meandering classical invective", OhBrother.

highlighting the outward projection of your trolling tendancies onto
others.

You're erroneously presupposing that I have any trolling tendancies,
OhBrother. Trolls are those who instigate such affairs, and it's
quite obvious that you instigated the thread, OhBrother. I merely
responded to it, pointing out your hypocrisy in a subtle way.

Please refrain from erroneously presupposing about my intentions in the
future

You're erroneously presupposing that I erroneously presupposed anything
about your intentions, OhBrother.

and refrain from posting classical invective filled, off-topic erroneous
suppositions.

You're erroneously presupposing that I posted any "invective filled,
off-topic erroneous suppositions", OhBrother.

Old February 26th 04, 12:22 AM
AK47

Mr. 4X wrote:
Excellent.

"OhBrother" wrote in message
news

[...]

O Brother for Poet Laureate of sci.astro.

--
To e-mail me get rid of the cats and dogs.
Old February 26th 04, 12:31 AM
David Knisely

Tom McDonald posted:

In fact, most of your posts have nothing to do with astronomy, and everything to do with your being heard on tangential issues. I for one wish you would practice what you preach, and post on-topic astronomy-related materials. You've got a lot to give on that score, and I do appreciate those posts of yours.

Agreed, but it can be best not to get in an argument with him (killfiles are
nice too). Clear skies to you.
--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 18-23, 2004, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *

Old February 26th 04, 12:35 AM

David Knisely writes:

Tom McDonald posted:

In fact, most of your posts have nothing to do with astronomy, and
everything to do with your being heard on tangential issues. I for
one wish you would practice what you preach, and post on-topic
astronomy-related materials. You've got a lot to give on that score,
and I do appreciate those posts of yours.

Agreed,

Why would you agree with a false statement, Knisely?

but it can be best not to get in an argument with him (killfiles are
nice too). Clear skies to you.

Figures that another person responsible for posting poetry to sci.astro
would chime in.

Old February 26th 04, 01:15 AM
Tom McDonald

David Knisely wrote:

Tom McDonald posted:

In fact, most of your posts have nothing to do with astronomy, and
everything to do with your being heard on tangential issues. I for
one wish you would practice what you preach, and post on-topic
astronomy-related materials. You've got a lot to give on that score,
and I do appreciate those posts of yours.

Agreed, but it can be best not to get in an argument with him (killfiles
are nice too). Clear skies to you.

David,

I know. My reason for posting at all was to point out that
poetry is fully capable of communicating what prose does; albeit
even I'm at a bit of a loss to figure how Einstein's major papers
could be fairly rendered in heroic couplets. Blank verse,
though.... :-)

Tom 'Watching "In Search Of Shakespeare", episode 4, 'For All
Time'' McDonald, BA in English

Old February 26th 04, 02:51 AM
OhBrother

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 00:04:51 +0000, thole wrote:

OhBrother writes:

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:43:34 +0000, thole wrote:

Who is "thole", OhBrother? Having attribution problems?

In years gone past, your posts were well thought
Your questions clear and inciteful
But now they're a joke, no intelligence there,
Just an arguementative nobody who is spiteful

O'