Aurora animation

Old November 2nd 03, 03:51 PM
Robin Leadbeater

Default Aurora animation

Hi all,

I have made a series of photos I took of the aurora from Cumbria on 30th
into a couple of short animations.

http://mysite.freeserve.com/astro2/astro2_image_56.htm

I used a Nikon Coolpix 2100. The individual frames were rather noisy but the
animations have turned out qiute pleasing. Not a patch on the real thing of
course ;-)

Clear Skies
Robin
Robin Leadbeater
N54.75 W3.24
www.leadbeaterhome.fsnet.co.uk/astro.htm

Old November 2nd 03, 06:39 PM
Robin Leadbeater

"Kevin Smith" wrote in message
I only get a static image in explorer??

Hi Kevin,

sorry that you have had a problem. Thanks for trying. I just checked it with
explorer and it seems to be working OK. (It is an animated gif - very simple
so it should work with any browser). Once you click on the static image in
the link given, you have to wait for the 16 frames in the gif to load before
the animation will run (this is around 700kb and so takes about 3 min over a
dial up) I have a had a lot of hits since I posted so there could be a
bandwidth issue. Probably the best idea is to try again. Anyone else had a
problem?

Robin

Old November 2nd 03, 08:00 PM
Jon Rogers

In article , Robin Leadbeater wrote:

"Kevin Smith" wrote in message
I only get a static image in explorer??

Hi Kevin,

sorry that you have had a problem. Thanks for trying. I just checked it with
explorer and it seems to be working OK. (It is an animated gif - very simple
so it should work with any browser). Once you click on the static image in
the link given, you have to wait for the 16 frames in the gif to load before
the animation will run (this is around 700kb and so takes about 3 min over a
dial up) I have a had a lot of hits since I posted so there could be a
bandwidth issue. Probably the best idea is to try again. Anyone else had a
problem?

Robin

No, it works fine for me (linux/mozilla)

Nice animation too. Missed it both nights here in the rain-sodden West
Midlands.

Cheers
--
Jon
jondotrogersatntlworlddotcom
Old November 2nd 03, 08:18 PM
mike ring

.. Once you click on
the static image in the link given, you have to wait for the 16 frames
in the gif to load before the animation will run (this is around 700kb
and so takes about 3 min over a dial up) I have a had a lot of hits
since I posted so there could be a bandwidth issue. Probably the best
idea is to try again. Anyone else had a problem?

Excellent - I was never in with a prayer of seeing anything (((
Possibly the problem is that you put static images on the front page; as
an old hand ! I clicked on the link and went away while it loaded.

On returning I saw the still frames and thought I only had to click to
run, then it started downloading, but my browser told me the images were

If this is it, perhaps a word of explanation would help that the start
images are just links; the animations are worth the wait, but people
might go away if they think it's broken

mike r
Old November 2nd 03, 08:24 PM
Mark Allott

Robin Leadbeater wrote:

Hi all,

I have made a series of photos I took of the aurora from Cumbria on 30th
into a couple of short animations.

Robin,

Thanks for sharing that with us. I for one am eternally grateful as I was
cursed with cloud cover for the duration.
--
Mark
Old November 2nd 03, 08:28 PM
Dave Rose

Hi Robin,
2 very nice animations. The weather here never cleared during all the action
so I have to be satisfied with the images kindly posted. Next time....
Cheers,
Dave Rose

Aurora Cruise Wobser Amateur Astronomy 2 July 30th 04 08:02 PM
Aurora Questions JOHN PAZMINO Amateur Astronomy 0 December 14th 03 10:34 PM
Spectacular aurora in GEORGIA Michael A. Covington Amateur Astronomy 0 October 31st 03 02:18 AM
[gse-aa] Shock Arrival Heralds Aurora Sam Wormley Amateur Astronomy 0 October 24th 03 08:42 PM
Aurora Tonight Michael A. Covington Amateur Astronomy 6 October 15th 03 06:33 PM