Have you seen this new 4" telescope prototype?

Old September 22nd 17, 02:40 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Andre[_2_]

Default Have you seen this new 4" telescope prototype?

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 8:43:19 AM UTC-4, Borkum Riff wrote:
Apologies if you already have seen this.
http://unistellaroptics.com/en/product

Has anyone taken part in the demos they've done?

Price ?
Old September 22nd 17, 04:24 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Razzmatazz

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 8:40:17 PM UTC-5, Andre wrote:
On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 8:43:19 AM UTC-4, Borkum Riff wrote:
Apologies if you already have seen this.
http://unistellaroptics.com/en/product

Has anyone taken part in the demos they've done?

Price ?

Who cares. I was once at a public star party and had a 10" scope pointed at the Andromeda Galaxy with a wide field eyepiece. A lot of people were in line looking at our neighbor galaxy which did show up nicely. One person pulled out his Android (or maybe it was another brand) cell phone, held the lens up to the eyepiece and took a snapshot. Incredibly it recorded the darned galaxy, and you could see structure in it.

I would imagine that a bright youngster could hack into one of these phones, change the exposure to something like 60 seconds or more and go galaxy hunting with nothing more than a $300 Dob.

Razzy.
Old September 23rd 17, 01:56 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Wednesday, 20 September 2017 10:12:22 UTC-4, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 05:43:17 -0700 (PDT), Borkum Riff
wrote:

Apologies if you already have seen this.
http://unistellaroptics.com/en/product

Has anyone taken part in the demos they've done?

Well, it's interesting, but I don't know that this is the best
approach. They don't say anything about the technology, but my initial
assumption would be that they use a low noise sensor (zero readout
noise, as we see increasingly used in night vision technology) and a
display of some sort in the eyepiece. If you're going to do that, why
have an eyepiece at all. It's an imaging device, and an external
viewer and storage system makes much more sense.

EVFs (electronic viewfinders) are currently superior to LCD and OLED displays of moderate size for resolution, illumination, etc.
Old September 23rd 17, 04:29 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

wrote:

Apologies if you already have seen this.
http://unistellaroptics.com/en/product

Has anyone taken part in the demos they've done?

Well, it's interesting, but I don't know that this is the best
approach. They don't say anything about the technology, but my initial
assumption would be that they use a low noise sensor (zero readout
noise, as we see increasingly used in night vision technology) and a
display of some sort in the eyepiece. If you're going to do that, why
have an eyepiece at all. It's an imaging device, and an external
viewer and storage system makes much more sense.

EVFs (electronic viewfinders) are currently superior to LCD and OLED displays of moderate size for resolution, illumination, etc.

I haven't seen any electronic viewfinders that have the resolution of
a good LCD or OLED display. All the ones I've seen (mostly Sony) you
can see the pixels, which you can't on good phone screens and high
resolution monitors.

In any case, there is resolution and there is pixel count. What would
matter on a self contained system is that the sensor be matched to the
display. No reason to have more resolution than the sensor. If they're
using some sort of EMCCD technology as I speculate (which would be an
original addition to commercial amateur imaging), the pixel count will
likely be low- a few hundred by a few hundred. Quite suitable for
typical small displays.
Old September 23rd 17, 12:59 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

Razzmatazz wrote:
[...]

You don't need to hack There are plenty of apps for that.

Old September 26th 17, 03:43 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

EVFs are meant to show a "virtual" image much larger than a phone screen or tablet. So it's possible pixels would be visible, though perhaps not in the highest resolution units (Leica). I figured they'd be using an EMCCD or something as well, but that telescope looks a bit plasticky and cheap to have one of those in it. We'll see. Maybe.