ASTRO NGC 6426

Old August 4th 12, 08:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO NGC 6426

NGC 6726 is a rather faint globular cluster in Ophiuchus in the Herschel
400 list. It is about 66,500 light-years from us and 46,300 light years
from the center of the galaxy. That makes it a rather distant globular
that we are looking at through the extent of our galaxy and its dust.
One of my many imaging projects is to capture as many of the Herschel
400 objects I can from my latitude and limitations to the north due to
my Polaris Trees. This is part of that project. Because it is seen
through so much of our galaxy's dust it is reddened. I used a recent
paper's estimate of reddening to adjust the color balance of the
globular. I probably should have isolated the globular when doing this
but applied the correction to the entire frame. This likely resulted in
the field stars having a bit too much blue though since the reddening is
not severe it didn't seem to hurt things too much. After adjustment
some blue stragglers showed up in this cluster. The paper indicated the
cluster is one of the most metal poor in our galaxy and about 700
million years older than M92.
http://cdsads.u-strasbg.fr/cgi-bin/b...J....117.3059H

My notes from my Herschel 400 log from May 19th 1985 reads: 10" F/5,
good transparency, average seeing, 62x and 211x, medium size, very
faint, somewhat brighter toward the middle. No resolution. From that it
appears to be a rather poor visual object. Another note from a
different observation in which I used a 4" off axis stop say "not seen".

NED shows only one galaxy in the image though I see a dozen or so. That
one is near the bottom edge half way between center line and the right
edge of the image. There's not even a magnitude estimate for it at NED.

14" LX 200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10', STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC6426L4X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	566.9 KB
ID:	4213  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC6426L4X10RGB2X10CROP.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	4214
Old August 4th 12, 09:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I had a typo in the original text, first line, saying this was NGC 6726
which is incorrect. That's a reflection nebula too far south for me to
see behind the observatory wall and below my tree line. Corrected below.
Rick

NGC 6426 is a rather faint globular cluster in Ophiuchus in the Herschel