ASTRO: M92 is not just Hercules' other globular

Old January 31st 08, 08:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: M92 is not just Hercules' other globular

I'm now up to the top end of the M list cleaning out the hard drive. I
was shocked to find this unprocessed set of M92 frames from last summer.
How I forgot these I don't know as this appears to be the best seeing
I've ever had! In any case it processed into my best globular photo to
date. I think I set this up then went to bed. I took 3 in each RGB
color then 6 lum frames then repeated this. By the time the second set
of Lum frames was being taken the sun rose so the first lum of the
second set showed some fogging and by the third it was white. I must
have looked at that when I got up and figured something went wrong. At
least I didn't delete them. The second round of RGB were fine so this
left me with 6, 5 minute frames in RGB as well as Lum. I found that
extra RGB did make processing go easier much to my surprise. Anyway
here's the result. I know there are more lost files to be found but I
doubt any will equal this one.

14" LX200R @ f/10, LRGB all 6x5' binned 2x2, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M92LUM6X5RGB6X5.jpg
Views:	1048
Size:	444.2 KB
ID:	1657
Old January 31st 08, 11:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Edward Erbeck

Rick

I don't recall ever seeing an Image of M 92 that looked as good as that
one. It's Wonderful.

Crazy Ed

Old January 31st 08, 11:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Edward Erbeck wrote:
Rick

I don't recall ever seeing an Image of M 92 that looked as good as that
one. It's Wonderful.

Crazy Ed

Thanks. I think it better than my M13 which was my best globular before
I processed this one last night.

Good seeing makes an amazing difference. This is the best I've ever had
and I forgot about it! I need new RAM but they don't make it 7 decades
later! I'm now looking for what else I did that night to see if I
forgot that too but with 100G on the drive and because I did some
rearranging that killed the dates the directories were created it's a
slow process. I must have done something else that night and forgot it
as well.

Rick

Old February 1st 08, 04:08 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

You have a knack for clusters I believe.. This is a great shot and I like
the subtle color treatment.

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com

Old February 1st 08, 04:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Doug W. wrote:
You have a knack for clusters I believe.. This is a great shot and I like
the subtle color treatment.

Thanks, to me its my best globular to date. I'm not sure on color. To
me the old black and white "spilled pile of salt" images are the "best".
But I don't get that seeing so this will do.

I don't know about a knack. Normally my seeing makes them look pretty
crappy. This was apparently that one night in a thousand with great
seeing -- and I apparently slept through it. I burned in the core.
There's a small area of probably 5 or 6 stars that hit the max ADU
count. A minute less on each frame would have been ideal. Oh well,
when that one night in a thousand rolls around again I'll try again,
assuming M92 is in position of course.

Now that I'm into the NGC's cleaning the hard drive I'm finding some
pretty crappy clusters I didn't process, probably for that reason. But
what with all the clouds there's no imaging to do so might as well do
the crappy ones. I also just found M26 filed as NGC 26. So much for my
typographical skills. That hasn't been processed either. So it's back
to M objects again. That cluster didn't look bad considering its low
declination from up north.

Rick

Old February 1st 08, 07:36 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

So much for my typographical skills.

Well... I know you can type like crazy... so one partial mistake is allowed
once in a while... When am I going to hear you on the digital modes??? I am
having much fun with soundcard RTTY and PSK.

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com

Old February 1st 08, 08:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Doug W. wrote:

So much for my typographical skills.

Well... I know you can type like crazy... so one partial mistake is allowed
once in a while... When am I going to hear you on the digital modes??? I am
having much fun with soundcard RTTY and PSK.

I loved RTTY with the old mechanical machines and a UT-4 so I could gear
the machines for 100 WPM and type away. After computers replaced
mechanical gear I lost interest. No way I could bring the model 28s and
19's up here so junked them. I've had trouble getting interested again.
I'm about 30 years out of date now.

Time is something I don't have much of lately, Wife's mom broke her hip
so we have 24 hour a day nursing duty. Good thing I'm a night owl. I
guess it is good its been so cloudy, I'd not have the time for imaging
I'd like. In winter 40 and 80 are solid power line noise (something is
arcing but the power company isn't interested in tracking it down) when
temps get below about 20F (which it hasn't even reached now for over a
month). 20 would be usable. Just haven't found the time or interest.
Ice fishing, snowmobiles etc. seem to take up the time I'm not watching
the mother-in-law while the wife sleeps. Then there's the wood chopping
for next winter. It splits far easier when frozen and I don't get so
hot and sweaty. Froze the propane tank a couple times this winter so
had to rely on a lot more wood than usual. Couldn't image the nights we
were forced to burn wood to stay warm. Of course those were the clear
ones. At least we put in a fireplace that can heat the house to 70 in
-30 weather.

I'm imaging through gunk right now but don't think I'll get anything
useful. Brighter stars look foggy so its pretty thick up there. It's
something to do while watching "mom". Got the camera at -35C and it is
now drawing 4% power. If I go lower the front of the optical window
frosts. Not sure which will nail me first, the frost or the gunk.

It's been an "interesting" winter!

Rick

Old February 2nd 08, 04:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

Understood... I worked on a few of the last tty models when I was with
Control Data...

Okay on mom in law... We did similar duty hr with wifes grandma and then
wifes sister in latter stages of cancer... so bless you for that care. It's
a lot of work.

At least you are getting some fishing in!

Old February 2nd 08, 07:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick, I just compared that one to my pictures of M92, and your picture is
really amazing. The cluster almost fills my screen and still stars are nice
small. Somehow the fainter stars look a bit "flat", as if their brightest
parts have been cut off, but that's a minor issue.

Stefan