Whitey On the Moon

Old February 3rd 12, 06:38 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Default Whitey On the Moon

[I don't post to alt.philosophy, cross-post elided]

Fred J. McCall wrote:
"Jonathan" wrote:
Self-organized systems, where the final product is allowed to emerge
as it will (NOT pre-planned) will always settle on the best
possible solution. Emergent vs. pre-designed is the difference
between natural and man-made.

Absolute and utter bull****!

snip pseudo-religion

The 'self-organized' system has to beat $0.08/kWh or come in very close to it
for me to be ok with it.

As far as SSP saving us from "Anthropogenic Global Warming" now called
"Climate Change".

Climate is so complex and our understanding of it so poor how do we even
pretend we know how to solve 'climate change'? Or worry about it? So I don't.
I can plant a tree. So I'll do that.

Dave

Old February 3rd 12, 09:23 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

Fred J. McCall wrote:
"Jonathan" wrote:
Self-organized systems, where the final product is allowed to emerge
as it will (NOT pre-planned) will always settle on the best
possible solution. *Emergent vs. pre-designed is the difference
between natural and man-made.

Absolute and utter bull****!

snip pseudo-religion

The 'self-organized' system has to beat $0.08/kWh or come in very close to it
for me to be ok with it.

As far as SSP saving us from "Anthropogenic Global Warming" now called
"Climate Change".

Climate is so complex and our understanding of it so poor how do we even
pretend we know how to solve 'climate change'? Or worry about it? So I don't.
I can plant a tree. So I'll do that.

Dave

well the cost of igoring the possiblity its true can lead to a
devasted planet
Old February 7th 12, 12:20 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jonathan

Fred J. McCall wrote:
"Jonathan" wrote:
Self-organized systems, where the final product is allowed to emerge
as it will (NOT pre-planned) will always settle on the best
possible solution. Emergent vs. pre-designed is the difference
between natural and man-made.

Absolute and utter bull****!

snip pseudo-religion

The 'self-organized' system has to beat $0.08/kWh or come in very close to
it for me to be ok with it.

I bet Japan would pay more. So would the Pentagon or places
too rural to get on a conventional grid. Would you also object to
AC power transmission over DC for cost reasons? If the
alternative to DC was nothing at all? SSP's big advantage
is the ability to travel so much better.

With DC you had to have a power plant almost on every
city block. With AC you have to have one almost
near every major city...figuratively speaking.

With SSP you can have baseload power to any point
on Earth, 24/7. Rain or shine, close or far from the equator
Rural or populated. And you can even plant crops, or have
terrestrial solar panels...beneath...an SSP receiving rectenna.

SSP is characterized by high initial start-up costs, and
almost NO operating costs. Operating costs for a major
power plant is having to pay through the nose each and
every day for a constant stream of oil, gas, coal and
so on. Prices which might swing wildly from time to time.

No other power source can do that, not nuclear, not fusion
and especially not the growing choice of the third-world....Coal.

As far as SSP saving us from "Anthropogenic Global Warming" now called
"Climate Change".

Climate is so complex and our understanding of it so poor how do we even
pretend we know how to solve 'climate change'?

NASA is convinced the recent warming is real and man-made.
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/blogs/climateqa/

They say so rather strongly, but maybe you have a better
source than......

"What does NASA have to do with global warming?"

"NASA employs the world's largest concentration of
climate scientists. NASA's mission to study Earth involves
monitoring atmospheric conditions, global temperatures, land
cover and vegetation, ice extent, ocean productivity, and
a number of other planetary vital signs with a fleet of
space-based sensors."
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/blo...lobal-warming/

Or worry about it? So I
don't. I can plant a tree. So I'll do that.

But you make a good point, predicting the longer term
future of such a complicated ecosystem is guesswork.

The question on climate-change shouldn't be about
arguing the finer points of volumes of statistical data.
The question should be whether we're going to just
let Nature takes it's course, warmer of colder?

And just hope for the best?

Or are we going to build the ability to manage our biosphere
so we can deal with the future ....regardless
of whether the future is hotter or colder?

Should we just have 'faith', or control our own destiny?

Dave

Whitey on the Moon kT Space Shuttle 3 July 19th 09 06:56 PM
Whitey on the Moon kT Space Station 3 July 19th 09 06:56 PM
Whitey on the Moon kT Policy 3 July 19th 09 06:56 PM
Whitey on the Moon kT History 3 July 19th 09 06:56 PM
Watch: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Moon: The $100 Billion Moon Landing Fraud. [email protected] History 37 November 3rd 07 03:24 AM