ASTRO: NGC 812

Old November 18th 06, 05:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: NGC 812

NGC 812 in Andromeda turned out to be more interesting than expected. It
looks severly distorted even though I can't see any other galaxy in the
field that could be responsible for the strange shape of NGC 812. The small
edge-on to the north of NGC 812 is certainly much further away.

Taken from the middle of Berlin with a C8 at f/7 on a G11 mount, SXV-H9
camera, 46x5 minutes.

The image can also be found at
http://www.slilge.de/temp/812-46x5gut.jpg

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	812-46x5gut.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	127
Old November 21st 06, 02:28 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Stefan Lilge" wrote
NGC 812 in Andromeda turned out to be more interesting than expected. It
looks severly distorted even though I can't see any other galaxy in the
field that could be responsible for the strange shape of NGC
812...........

Stefan,

The disk of the Milky Way may be warped and this could be a similar
system.

NED had the following note from the UGC "Strongly asymmetric late
spiral, no disturbing object visible".

George Normandin

Old November 21st 06, 05:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

Very nice N7320 and this one too Stefan... good stars as usual.

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com

Old November 23rd 06, 08:08 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson

If there ever was a case of hit and run galaxy accidents, this must be a
victim. Don't think I'd seen this guy before. Fascinating!

Looks like you are getting that G11 tamed.

Rick

Old November 24th 06, 05:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

the guiding of the G11 is OK since I started to use 2x correction speed
instead of 0,5x.
Seems like the G11 reacts a bit sluggish to autoguider commands.
Although I already have a high precision worm installed I ordered another
one (lets see how long shipping to germany will take) and will try if it has
a smoother error than the current one.

Stefan