Oops! and Insurance of Scopes

Old March 12th 06, 05:52 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Oops! and Insurance of Scopes

The recent thread about the suicidal PST got me thinking:
I've got a 15" on the way and, although I'm careful with fragile things,
the idea of having a $2000 chunk of glass has me thinking about my home
owner's insurance policy.
I haven't contacted my agent yet, but does anyone have any experience or
advice concerning astronomical mishaps?

Thanks,
Shawn
Old March 12th 06, 06:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 09:52:22 -0700, Shawn
sdotherecurry@bresnannextdotnet wrote:

I haven't contacted my agent yet, but does anyone have any experience or
advice concerning astronomical mishaps?

Talk to your agent. Some items are better scheduled.
Old March 12th 06, 06:19 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Shawn wrote:
The recent thread about the suicidal PST got me thinking:
I've got a 15" on the way and, although I'm careful with fragile things,
the idea of having a $2000 chunk of glass has me thinking about my home
owner's insurance policy.
I haven't contacted my agent yet, but does anyone have any experience or
advice concerning astronomical mishaps?

Thanks,
Shawn

I've had insurance on the total of all my Castro equipment---scopes,
filters, eyepieces, binos, etc.--- for about 6 years. I've made one
claim for an eyepiece that someone knocked off a table, and it was
quickly paid.

I have a "present replacement cost" policy which, regardless of what I
paid for it, will replace it at the current price.

My policy is through the same agent that I have my home insurance policy
with---and he strongly advised me NOT to add the astro gear to my home
policy. I don't recall his exact argument, but it went along the idea
that a rider on my home policy would not only have a deductible, but a
limit on how much could be covered.

I have $ 11,000 of coverage--that's a total--which will pay the present
cost as I prove it. Each year, when I renew, I must provide proof that
to get the item today would cost whatever. If the item is no longer
available, such as some of my eyepieces, I show the cost of the update
replacement for that item. For this coverage, it costs me $ 106 per year.

This covers anything that could happen to the gear---theft, damage
(including a dropped eyepiece), fire, damage if in an accident to or
from an observing site, etc.

Oh yeah---my policy is with State Farm. It is covered through a camera
policy. My agent had to convince the underwriters that it was a valid
policy.....I know several others who have gotten similar insurance from
State Farm by referring to my policy.

Further info willingly given.....

Wayne Howell
Photon Phlats Observatory
Port Townsend, WA

Old March 12th 06, 08:13 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

whowell wrote:
Shawn wrote:

[...]

Thanks Wayne. That's the sort of info I was after.

Shawn
Old March 13th 06, 03:01 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Shawn wrote:

thinking about my home
owner's insurance policy.

Hi.

Think about this when you think homeowners insurance.
You make two claims with a several year span, and your
rates will go up. you make three or more, and yes they
do have SR 22 homeowners insurance, make no mistake about
it. After all the hurricanes, and NO, they are really
paying attention to this now. I've seen and worked for
people paying $1200 per month for insurance........

--
AM

http://sctuser.home.comcast.net

CentOS 4.2 KDE 3.3
Old March 13th 06, 04:20 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Shawn wrote:
whowell wrote:

[...]

Did I REALLY call it my "Castro" equipment?! Dadratted computer makes
the darnest spelling mistakes!

Wayne Howell
Photon Phlats Observatory
Port Townsend, WA
Old March 13th 06, 05:01 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

AM wrote:
Shawn wrote:

thinking about my home owner's insurance policy.

Hi.

Think about this when you think homeowners insurance.
You make two claims with a several year span, and your
rates will go up. you make three or more, and yes they
do have SR 22 homeowners insurance, make no mistake about
it. After all the hurricanes, and NO, they are really
paying attention to this now. I've seen and worked for
people paying $1200 per month for insurance........

Hmm, and they raise rates based on the insured value, not previous
claims. I'll look into a seperate rider (correct word?) for the scope.

Shawn
Old March 14th 06, 01:50 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Did I REALLY call it my "Castro" equipment?! Dadratted computer makes
the darnest spelling mistakes!

Nice try, Pinko! Now we know your true colors! Care to discuss what
Fidel has you using all of that equipment for?
Old March 14th 06, 04:08 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 19:20:53 -0800, whowell
wrote:

Did I REALLY call it my "Castro" equipment?! Dadratted computer makes
the darnest spelling mistakes!

I thought perhaps they were convertibles.