Next unmanned lunar landing -- when?

Old November 1st 05, 07:01 PM
Jim Oberg

Default Next unmanned lunar landing -- when?

Next unmanned lunar landing -- when?

I'm doing a short essay for the 40th anniversary
of the Luna-9 moon landing, and will speculate
on when unmanned lunar landings will resume.
Any crustal ball inputs or insights would be
much appreciated -- thanks in advance!!

JimO

Old November 1st 05, 08:19 PM
Derek Lyons

"Jim Oberg" wrote:

Next unmanned lunar landing -- when?

I'm doing a short essay for the 40th anniversary
of the Luna-9 moon landing, and will speculate
on when unmanned lunar landings will resume.
Any crustal ball inputs or insights would be

Nice Freudian slip there....

much appreciated -- thanks in advance!!

My prediction? (At least for the NASA side.) Son-of-Surveyor will
repeat the path of it's parent - it will be cut after one or two
landings to provide funds for son-of-Apollo. NASA seems terrified of
having a significant unmanned lunar exploration program.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old November 1st 05, 08:44 PM
Andy

When I was having dinner with Buzz Aldrin on Friday night I asked about the
new plans for landing on the moon.

He isn't quite sure that it will happen and after the shuttle fleet is
retired in 2010 he said if NASA hadn't done anything within 4 years of that
he feared for the US space program especially as the Chinese were now up
there too.

Was great to meet a legend though he did look a bit tired though Lois was on
form

Cheers

Andy

Old November 2nd 05, 12:17 AM
Brad Guth

In other words, you're going to lie your stinking butt off again and
again.

GOT FLY-BY-ROCKET LANDER?

GOT KODAK MOMENTS?

GOT LUNAR ATMOSPHERE?

GOT MAGIC CLUMPING MOON DIRT?

GOT TBI PROOF ASTRONAUTS?

GOT HALF A BRAIN?
~

Kurt Vonnegut would have to agree; WAR is WAR, thus "in war there are
no rules" - In fact, war has been the very reason of having to deal
with the likes of others that haven't been playing by whatever rules,
such as GW Bush.
Life upon Venus, a township w/Bridge & ET/UFO Park-n-Ride Tarmac:
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-town.htm
The Russian/China LSE-CM/ISS (Lunar Space Elevator)
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/lunar-space-elevator.htm
Venus ETs, plus the updated sub-topics; Brad Guth / GASA-IEIS
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-topics.htm

Old November 2nd 05, 01:16 AM
Bill Higgins

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Jim Oberg wrote:

Next unmanned lunar landing -- when?

I'm doing a short essay for the 40th anniversary
of the Luna-9 moon landing, and will speculate
on when unmanned lunar landings will resume.
Any crustal ball inputs or insights would be
much appreciated -- thanks in advance!!

JAXA's LUNAR-A is supposed to drop a pair of penetrators, but its launch
seems to have been delayed indefinitely. "No earlier than 2006," according
to the NSSDC site. It still seems a good bet to be the next lunar landing.

--
Bill Higgins | "I shop at the
Fermilab | Bob and Ray Giant Overstocked Surplus Warehouse
| in one convenient location
Internet: | and save money
Old November 2nd 05, 01:48 AM
Andy

LOL I wish,

Meeting the astro's was fantastic Buzz semed to be really tired though

Cheers

Andy

"adam bootle" wrote in message
Namedropper !

Old November 2nd 05, 01:50 AM
Andy

Adam you were there this weekend too weren't you?

Your site is great by the way, a great collection

Old November 2nd 05, 02:52 AM
Jorge R. Frank

"Jim Oberg" wrote in news:k4O9f.61727$GQ.1369
@tornado.texas.rr.com:

Next unmanned lunar landing -- when?

I'm doing a short essay for the 40th anniversary
of the Luna-9 moon landing, and will speculate
on when unmanned lunar landings will resume.
Any crustal ball inputs or insights would be
much appreciated -- thanks in advance!!

Space Review ran an article on this subject not long ago:

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/478/1

According to the article, NASA's next lander (RLEP-2) is scheduled for
2010. Japan follows with Selene-2 in 2011-13. ESA and China have long-term
plans for landers but no names or dates have been published.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.

The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones Misc 6 July 29th 04 06:14 AM
The apollo faq the inquirer Misc 4 April 15th 04 04:45 AM
Project Constellation Questions Space Cadet Policy 178 March 21st 04 02:17 AM
The Apollo FAQ (moon landings were faked) Nathan Jones Astronomy Misc 8 February 4th 04 07:48 PM
The Apollo FAQ (moon landings were faked) Nathan Jones UK Astronomy 8 February 4th 04 07:48 PM