Lee Smolin: We've Got Space and Time All Wrong

Old August 23rd 19, 11:45 AM posted to sci.astro
Pentcho Valev

Default Lee Smolin: We've Got Space and Time All Wrong

"Lee [Smolin] and I discussed these paradoxes at great length for many months, starting in January 2001. We would meet in cafés in South Kensington or Holland Park to mull over the problem. THE ROOT OF ALL THE EVIL WAS CLEARLY SPECIAL RELATIVITY. All these paradoxes resulted from well known effects such as length contraction, time dilation, or E=mc^2, all basic predictions of special relativity. And all denied the possibility of establishing a well-defined border, common to all observers, capable of containing new quantum gravitational effects." Joao Magueijo, Faster Than the Speed of Light, p. 250 http://www.amazon.com/Faster-Than-Sp.../dp/0738205257

"Was Einstein wrong? At least in his understanding of time, Smolin argues, the great theorist of relativity was dead wrong. What is worse, by firmly enshrining his error in scientific orthodoxy, Einstein trapped his successors in insoluble dilemmas..." https://www.amazon.com/Time-Reborn-C.../dp/B00AEGQPFE

"And by making the clock's tick relative - what happens simultaneously for one observer might seem sequential to another - Einstein's theory of special relativity not only destroyed any notion of absolute time but made time equivalent to a dimension in space: the future is already out there waiting for us; we just can't see it until we get there. This view is a logical and metaphysical dead end, says Smolin." http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013...reality-review

Lee Smolin: "we've just got space and time all wrong" https://www.newscientist.com/article...ime-all-wrong/

Then fix the wrongness, Lee Smolin! If special relativity is "the root of all the evil", then at least one of Einstein's 1905 postulates is false - logic forbids the combination "true postulates, evil theory". The Perimeter Institute should have freed physics from the falsehood, shouldn't it?

And the false postulate is... see he https://twitter.com/pentcho_valev

Pentcho Valev
Old August 23rd 19, 12:46 PM posted to sci.astro
Pentcho Valev

"At a time when other scientists believed that the speed of light was variable, Einstein took it as a fixed limit of nature and made it the absolute non-negotiable around which all other variables and parameters enfolded."
https://www.brainpickings.org/2019/0...ng-relativity/

Albert Einstein: "...I introduced the principle of the constancy of the velocity of light, which I borrowed from H. A. Lorentz's theory of the stationary luminiferous [NONEXISTENT] ether..." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_ether_theory

"He opened by explaining how Einstein's theory of relativity is the foundation of every other theory in modern physics and that the assumption that the speed of light is constant is the foundation of that theory. Thus a constant speed of light is embedded in all of modern physics and to propose a varying speed of light (VSL) is worse than swearing! It is like proposing a language without vowels." http://www.thegreatdebate.org.uk/VSLRevPrnt.html

"But this SEEMS TO BE NONSENSE. How can it happen that the speed of light relative to an observer cannot be increased or decreased if that observer moves towards or away from a light beam? Einstein states that he wrestled with this problem over a lengthy period of time, to the point of despair." http://www.aip.org/history/exhibits/...relativity.htm

SEEMS TO BE NONSENSE is euphemism - the constancy of the speed of light IS nonsense. The reason why the frequency measured by the moving observer increases https://youtube.com/watch?v=bg7O4rtlwEE is because the speed of the light pulses relative to him increases. No other reason is conceivable.

Einstein's constant-speed-of-light nonsense is equivalent to Big Brother's 2+2=5. Mathematics automatically becomes insane after 2+2=5 is introduced - scientists unavoidably get trapped in idiotic "paradoxes". Exactly the same happened to fundamental physics in 1905:

"Lee [Smolin] and I discussed these paradoxes at great length for many months, starting in January 2001. We would meet in cafés in South Kensington or Holland Park to mull over the problem. The root of all the evil was clearly special relativity. All these paradoxes resulted from well known effects such as length contraction, time dilation, or E=mc^2, all basic predictions of special relativity. And all denied the possibility of establishing a well-defined border, common to all observers, capable of containing new quantum gravitational effects." Joao Magueijo, Faster Than the Speed of Light, p. 250 http://www.amazon.com/Faster-Than-Sp.../dp/0738205257

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DafYwspX0AAixYo.jpg

In the next version of physics the original malignancy, Einstein's 1905 nonsensical axiom

"The speed of light is invariable"

will be replaced with the correct axiom

"The wavelength of light is invariable".

I have developed the idea in a series of tweets he https://twitter.com/pentcho_valev

Pentcho Valev