Any expierences with Discovery DHQ telescopes ?

Old June 19th 04, 11:48 PM
Dimitri I. Rakitine

Default Any expierences with Discovery DHQ telescopes ?

I was pretty much set on getting Orion XT8, but, out of principle, I avoid
buying stuff made in China as much as I can,
so I searched for alternatives and came up with discovery-telescopes
company. One I'm interested in is 8" PDHQ:

http://www.discovery-telescopes.com/PDHQ.html

Also, which viewfinder do you guys recommend - 8x50 or Telrad ?

TIA

--
Dimitri

Old June 20th 04, 12:19 AM
Joe S.

Use both viewfinders. Get the 8x50 right angle.

And get a Telrad -- they complement each other.

--

-----
Joe S.

Old June 20th 04, 12:49 AM
Geoff

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:48:10 -0400, "Dimitri I. Rakitine"
wrote:

I was pretty much set on getting Orion XT8, but, out of principle, I avoid
buying stuff made in China as much as I can,
so I searched for alternatives and came up with discovery-telescopes
company. One I'm interested in is 8" PDHQ:

http://www.discovery-telescopes.com/PDHQ.html

Also, which viewfinder do you guys recommend - 8x50 or Telrad ?

TIA

Very similar scopes to the classic Synta made Orion dobs are the Guan
Sheng made scopes from Taiwan marketed under the Celestron name.

http://www.celestron.com/prod_pgs/tel/dob_index.htm

Same OTA, different base,

http://www.binoculars.com/products/H...ope_23864.html

Old June 20th 04, 01:07 AM
Phil Wheeler

Discovery makes high quality telescopes.

Personally I prefer the Telrad -- but have both on my 10" Dob.

Phil

Old June 20th 04, 01:08 AM
Dimitri I. Rakitine

Very similar scopes to the classic Synta made Orion dobs are the Guan
Sheng made scopes from Taiwan marketed under the Celestron name.

My point was to avoid buying Chineese-made products - that's why I asked
about Discovery. Even if I have to pay a small
premium, I prefer to see Americans working.

--
Dimitri

Old June 20th 04, 01:39 AM
Jon Isaacs

My point was to avoid buying Chineese-made products - that's why I asked
about Discovery. Even if I have to pay a small
premium, I prefer to see Americans working.

Some people distinguish between Taiwanese stuff and "Chinese" stuff. Discovery
makes decent scopes, I have an older Discovery and 2 Taiwanese scopes. Pretty
happy with them all.

You might check out Cloudy Nights for some reviews of the various DOBs.

As far as the finder, as someone else said, a Telrad and an 8x50 works the
best.

jon