Canon 10D vs. Nikon D70 for astrophotography

Old May 14th 04, 06:44 PM

Default Canon 10D vs. Nikon D70 for astrophotography

http://astrosurf.com/buil/d70v10d/eval.htm

Text in French, but with inline English translation. Interesting observation:

"[...] the internal firmware applied a median like
filter to the three layers of the image for erase hot
pixels (local intense thermal signal). This processing
is not mentioned in Nikon documentation [...]
the RAW format of Nikon D70 is not a true raw format
[...] an image which would reflected the outgoing
signal of a CCD sensor [...]"

There is, however, a blunt workaround.
Old May 15th 04, 10:53 AM
Malcolm Stewart

wrote in message
om...
http://astrosurf.com/buil/d70v10d/eval.htm

Text in French, but with inline English translation. Interesting observation:
There is, however, a blunt workaround.

Thanks for posting - I'm a 10D and an ETX-105 owner and I've learned a lot

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Old May 15th 04, 11:07 AM
Jeroen Smaal

wrote in message
om...
http://astrosurf.com/buil/d70v10d/eval.htm

Text in French, but with inline English translation. Interesting

observation:

"[...] the internal firmware applied a median like
filter to the three layers of the image for erase hot
pixels (local intense thermal signal). This processing
is not mentioned in Nikon documentation [...]
the RAW format of Nikon D70 is not a true raw format
[...] an image which would reflected the outgoing
signal of a CCD sensor [...]"

There is, however, a blunt workaround.

This is not very good news for those of use who (like me) were considering
the D70 as an alternative to the Canon 300D.

Although the D70 looks like a great camera for daytime shooting, its
insensitivity in the H-Alpha region, the (albeit fixable) problems in the
"Noise Reduction" mode and the significantly higher CCD noise compared to
the 300D make the D70 a lot less interesting for long exposure
astrophotography. Too bad.

Jeroen.

Old May 15th 04, 02:14 PM
Phil

Jeroen Smaal wrote:
wrote in message
om...

[...]

Unfortunately, Nikons digital slr's have tended to be noisier than
Canons, despite recent improvements in their sensors.
Though I bought my Nikon D1X primarily for wildlife photography, I had
hoped to use it for long exposure astro imaging, but initial tests a
couple of years ago indicated that anything more than 20 seconds in my
light polluted sky would be a waste of time.
Having learnt a bit more about dark frames, stacking and so on, I might
have another try sometime in a dark sky just to see what can be done,
but for now, it looks as if Canons are the ones to go for.
Interesting article anyway, thanks for posting the link.
Phil

Old May 15th 04, 07:28 PM
Thad Floryan

"Jeroen Smaal" wrote in message ...
wrote in message
om...
[...]

That's odd. The exact opposite is cited in the June 2004 issue of SKY &
TELESCOPE. If you examine their table on page 134, only 3 DSLRs are given
three stars (for deep-sky astrophotography):

1. Canon EOS-1Ds (at $7,000)
2. Canon EOS 10 (at $1,500)
3. Nikon D70 (at $1,300)

The Canon EOS 300D (aka Digital Rebel) only rates two stars and has "limited
functions". The Nikon D70 is stated "low noise".

Basically the same is stated in Digital Photo's 100+ page review of the D70
in which it's also compared against the Digital Rebel (EOS 300D) at URL:

http://wwww.dpreview.com/ (select D70)

I would tend to believe S&T's assessment more than some translated document
which is at odds with two (2) respected journals: S&T, and Digital Photo.
Old May 15th 04, 07:55 PM
ValeryD

Phil wrote in message ...
Jeroen Smaal wrote:
wrote in message
om...

[...]

Dave Ireland posted his findings about D70 use for long exposures.
In brief, according to him the problems with RAW files and noise of
the chip are very much exaggerated.

Dave, can you elaborate and write here about your experience as
detailed as possible? Thanks for advance.

Valery Deryuzhin.
Old May 15th 04, 10:40 PM
Jeroen Smaal

"Thad Floryan" wrote in message
om...
"Jeroen Smaal" wrote in message

wrote in message
om...
http://astrosurf.com/buil/d70v10d/eval.htm

Text in French, but with inline English translation. Interesting

observation:

I would tend to believe S&T's assessment more than some translated

document
which is at odds with two (2) respected journals: S&T, and Digital Photo.

I've read both the S&T and the dpreview.com articles you're refering to.
Unfortunately AFAIK in the S&T article no actual imaging tests have been
done with cameras other than the Canon 10D and D60.

The review on the dpreview.com site does test long exposure timing and
associated image noise, but not of astronomical objects; it would not
uncover the Noise Reduction problem referred to in the French article.
Otherwise it makes a convincing case for the D70 as an astrophotography
platform.

I agree the D70 looks very good on paper, and it's still a prime candidate
on my list. Its usability and daytime image quality seems to be superior to
the 300D and I would very much like it to be good enough on astro
capabilities to compete with the Canon DSLRs.

But, at the moment, only the Canon 10D/D60/300D range has proven to offer
the low noise and usability needed for long exposure astrophotography. This
is demonstrated by VERY impressive astro-images that can be found all over
the internet. I have not found a single astro image taken with the Nikon D70
that would prove its suitability as a long exposure astrophotography
platform. Granted, the Nikon is fairly new, so this might just be a question
of time.

Jeroen.

Old May 16th 04, 07:30 AM
Maflu

Thad Floryan wrote:

That's odd. The exact opposite is cited in the June 2004 issue of SKY &
TELESCOPE. If you examine their table on page 134, only 3 DSLRs are given
three stars (for deep-sky astrophotography):

1. Canon EOS-1Ds (at $7,000)
2. Canon EOS 10 (at $1,500)
3. Nikon D70 (at $1,300)

The Canon EOS 300D (aka Digital Rebel) only rates two stars and has "limited
functions". The Nikon D70 is stated "low noise".

Basically the same is stated in Digital Photo's 100+ page review of the D70
in which it's also compared against the Digital Rebel (EOS 300D) at URL:

http://wwww.dpreview.com/ (select D70)

I would tend to believe S&T's assessment more than some translated document
which is at odds with two (2) respected journals: S&T, and Digital Photo.

I think you should carefully read the French website - The main problems
are not really noise.

Chris
Old May 16th 04, 07:52 PM
Thad Floryan

Maflu wrote in message ...
[...]
I think you should carefully read the French website - The main problems
are not really noise.

I did, and the article's conclusions include the obvious solution: hack the code
(or, if demand warrants, Nikon provides a modification). The firmware can be
uploaded into the camera (though I don't know how to do it).

What puzzled me were the 18 diffraction spikes in several of the photos; seems
like the choice of lens wasn't the best given several Nikon telephoto assemblies
tout 3 ED lenses and there's obviously no spider to cause the spikes. Is that
(the spikes) something inherent with camera telephoto lenses? Curious why they
didn't shoot through a telescope.

Please note I'm a photography dilettante. :-)

Nikon Astroluxe 18x70 binoculars Bill Tschumy Amateur Astronomy 1 May 8th 04 05:07 AM
Canon 300D Szaki Amateur Astronomy 10 April 20th 04 03:28 AM
Canon A70 instead? (was Canon S400 ok for astro?) Alan Charlesworth Amateur Astronomy 2 October 28th 03 02:30 PM
Nikon 10x42 and Zeiss B/GA Classic C 8x30. Some thoughts on using for Astronomy. David McHarg Amateur Astronomy 5 October 23rd 03 05:32 PM
Canon IS binocs/Nikon Superior E/Fuji 16x70. David McHarg Amateur Astronomy 1 August 14th 03 11:39 PM