When do the big cheap apos arrive??

Old April 14th 04, 09:30 PM
Tony

Default When do the big cheap apos arrive??

If you believe the Orion 80 ED is sooo wonderful why don't you compare it to
an 80 mm long focus Achro on say Jupiter at 250x then tell me. I swear to
you there are plenty of people out there who really cannot tell the difference
between an Achro and an APO to save there own lives.

Well, I did that but one step better. I compared it side by side to a 90mm F11.
The 90 had nothing over the 80ED except the brightness held up a little better
at 200x on Saturn. The false color in the achromat steals any advantage the
extra 10mm gives it. Its quite easy to pick out which one is the achromat even
for a dummy like me not saving his own live.

Tony
Old April 14th 04, 10:43 PM
CLT

"Caesar Garcia" wrote in message
om...
I've heard of voodoo economics but what are Voodoo Randernomics, do
you mean picking off the wall random numbers for pricing?

Look at the email address of the guy who started this thread and it will
make sense. It could be called Voodoo Richnomics, but with the email addy,
Randernomics had a better sound.

Rich has various theories on what optics should cost --- based on his own
ideas of material purchasing, manufacturing and economy of scale.

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?
And the Lunar Picture of the Day http://www.lpod.org/
************************************

Old April 14th 04, 11:39 PM
Edward

"Tony" wrote in message

Well, I did that but one step better. I compared it side by side to a 90mm

F11.
The 90 had nothing over the 80ED except the brightness held up a little

better
at 200x on Saturn. The false color in the achromat steals any advantage

the
extra 10mm gives it. Its quite easy to pick out which one is the achromat

even
for a dummy like me not saving his own live.

Tony

I'll second that. My Tak FC76 f/8 is the clear winner when compared with
the Vixen 80mm f/11.3 I used to own.

Ed T.

Old April 15th 04, 02:01 AM
Bill Becker

"Edward" wrote in message
news

"Tony" wrote in message

Well, I did that but one step better. I compared it side by side to a

90mm
F11.
The 90 had nothing over the 80ED except the brightness held up a little

better
at 200x on Saturn. The false color in the achromat steals any advantage

the
extra 10mm gives it. Its quite easy to pick out which one is the

achromat
even
for a dummy like me not saving his own live.

Tony

I'll second that. My Tak FC76 f/8 is the clear winner when compared with
the Vixen 80mm f/11.3 I used to own.

Ed T.

And yet...I bet that little Vixen achro provided some very nice views until
you got spoiled. g
I've got a 90mm F/11 that's sharp as hell and the colour is within my limits
of acceptibility.

Best regards,
Bill

Old April 15th 04, 02:37 AM
Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th

(Jeff Quinn) wrote in
om:

You can get a $2000 6" semi-apo if you are willing to work on lens
adjustments. It's called a used Meade 152ED OTA, muahahaha.

Do Meade still make those?

LK.
Old April 15th 04, 02:48 AM
Edward

"Bill Becker" wrote in message

And yet...I bet that little Vixen achro provided some very nice views

until
you got spoiled. g
I've got a 90mm F/11 that's sharp as hell and the colour is within my

limits
of acceptibility.

Best regards,
Bill

Absolutely! It was and is a fine scope. I just came in from a little
quality time with a Carton 4" f13 achromat that still surprises me with its
abilities.

Regards,
Ed

Old April 15th 04, 05:02 AM
Caesar Garcia

I should have read the label...

Actually I thought you might have been slamming a different guy. The
professional engineers licensing board, the NCEES, issued an edict
that only certain basic scientific calculators could be used for their
licensing tests. One very popular model made by HP was dicontinued
almost at the same time. Prices of these skyrocketed from $60 to $400
by various opportunists, private individuals and businesses. I took
the first basic test years ago, but decided to take the second test
this year. HP came out with a new model just recently, but scalpers
took over some of that market as well. I was lucky to have this fellow
sell me one of these calculators at cost. His aim was not to make
money, but to help out another engineer and poke a hole in the
inflationary bubble created by the scalpers. There were a number of
small wars fought over this in various calculator groups over the free
market versus fairness, etc... At any rate, this guy's a good guy, but
a bit hotheaded, curses worse than any sailor, and appears to never
back down from a fight. I did inform him of this post, and I will
reinform in that it wasn't him being mentioned.

Caesar Garcia

Old April 15th 04, 05:20 AM
CLT

I take it he is the guy who tracked me down via astromart? He sent me a
semi-coherent message which I deleted. Evidently he is a little hotheaded.

Old April 15th 04, 06:45 AM
David

Chris1011 wrote:
Price for refractive optics materials goes up by the cube of the diameter
(related to the volume of glass). The labor goes up by approximately the square
of the diameter. If 1/4 of the scope is material cost, 1/4 is labor cost, the
rest being import and profit for all that handle the item, then the $500 3 inch
refractor should become $2500 retail at 6".

Seems to me that the Meade 6" ED was quite competitive at that rate.

RC

Was the plan for the AP 5" doublet abandoned ? Is the prototype for sale
;-) ?

David
Old April 15th 04, 11:30 AM
Tony

until you got spoiled. I've got a 90mm F/11 that's sharp as hell and the
colour is within my limits of acceptibility.

Dont get me wrong. The 90 F11 is a fine scope but I dont think I'll be using it
much anymore. Mainly spoiled because the ED80 is almost half the length and is
comfortable on most any mount.

Tony