This has to be stopped!

Old March 12th 04, 02:44 PM
Dat's Me

Default This has to be stopped!

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 22:04:37 +0000, Wally Anglesea™ wrote:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/0....ap/index.html

Inventor patents device for ads in space

MOSCOW, Russia (AP) -- Orion, the Big Dipper and Andromeda could be joined
in the heavens by ads for soft drinks and cigarettes if a Russian
inventor's device catches on.

Now, here's a perfect use for Al Quieda!
Old March 12th 04, 03:36 PM
matt

hopefully, it won't work, even though I posted a similar idea (as a
joke) on halfbakery.com -
http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Sky_2...ing#1053130498
maybe even that posting invalidates the 'prior art' part of a patent
(I can't see how a patent would help him anyway).

He said the satellites would be visible in the night sky by employing
sunlight reflectors, with multiple satellites linked together to
create a message large enough to be seen.

Technically it could be possible, but the finances just don't ad
(geddit?) up. The number of satellites you'd need would be
outrageously high, as each one would be a pixel so you'd need 1/2 a
million just for a low res image and that'd only be the ones in use at
the time, the need to have them in a regular array at roughly 5km
intervals would mean that there'd probably have to be other satellites
in orbit not in use. So the start up cost is so massive that there's
no way you'd be able to charge enough to compete with more
conventional forms of advertising, fortunately.

Fortunatley I can't see it happening, and don't think that it's have
any real impact on viewing if it did, unless you covered the whole sky
with satellites to a massive density, they'd be more likley to set up
an advertising board on the moon.

Wally Anglesea? wrote in message . ..
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/0....ap/index.html

Inventor patents device for ads in space

MOSCOW, Russia (AP) -- Orion, the Big Dipper and Andromeda could be
joined in the heavens by ads for soft drinks and cigarettes if a
Russian inventor's device catches on.

Alexander Lavrynov, a spacecraft designer, said he has patented a
device for putting advertising into space that would be seen from
Earth, Interfax news agency reported Wednesday.

"Space commercials could embrace huge areas and a colossal number of
consumers," he said. "This would literally be intercontinental
coverage."

He said the satellites would be visible in the night sky by employing
sunlight reflectors, with multiple satellites linked together to
create a message large enough to be seen.

"People would be able to see writing in the skies from the Earth no
worse than they see the stars," he said.

Old March 12th 04, 03:44 PM
BenignVanilla

"matt" wrote in message
om...
snip
The number of satellites you'd need would be
outrageously high, as each one would be a pixel so you'd need 1/2 a
million just for a low res image and that'd only be the ones in use at
the time, the need to have them in a regular array at roughly 5km
intervals would mean that there'd probably have to be other satellites
in orbit not in use. So the start up cost is so massive that there's
no way you'd be able to charge enough to compete with more
conventional forms of advertising, fortunately.

snip

Unfortunately, I think it would be easier then that. Each sat could carry
multiple pixels (mirrors). Just look at an Iridium flare...certainly they
could deliver a cool message with surface less bright then that, so I'd
think a single sat could carry multiple, smaller, dimmer mirrors and still
be successful.

BV.

Old March 12th 04, 06:53 PM
Doogie Hoosier

[...]

I think this would **** off enough people worldwide to cause the first
company to place an ad in space to go out of business. Maybe angry
consumers would even storm the company headquarters and lynch the CEO.

If I recall, an American company proposed this some time ago (maybe a
decade), and the idea quickly went away.
Old March 12th 04, 08:03 PM
matt

If each satelite had multiple mirrors, as far as I can work out, you'd
have to seperate them by such a massive distance that it wouldn't be
practical, otherwise (I think) the human eye wouldn't be able to
distinguish them as several pixels, the angular resolution isn't good
enough.

I haven't actually seen an Iridium flare (not too interested for some
reason, are they worth finding out when the next will be visible from
London?) so I can't comment, however I'd have thought that they're
just a magnitude thing and no use as multiple pixels. However multiple
mirrors would be useful for colour balance.

Matt
please correct me if I'm wrong, life's a learning process

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message ...
"matt" wrote in message
om...
snip

Old March 12th 04, 09:52 PM
Marty

I can recall a proposal some years back to orbit a gigantic reflective
ring of some sort. (It may have been during the French bicentennial?)
There were letters in the astronomy magazines of the day, most against
it. Another time, there were proposals to build enormous solar power
stations of some sort which would then beam energy down to earth. The
only thing I remember for sure about them was that they'd be BRIGHT. A
few letter writing amateurs seemed to like the idea, but I suspected
that these people probably looked forward to at least one object in the
night sky aside from the moon that they'd be able to identify. I can't
imagine anyone who truly loves the night sky not being aghast at such
proposals. There was talk back during the war in Viet Nam of giant
reflecting satellites to deprive the Viet Cong of the cover of darkness.
Fortunately, none of these ever took place. I'd assume this was
because of financial and technological obstacles though, and not due to
any concern expressed by astronomers.
Marty
Anybody else recall any of these?

Old March 14th 04, 05:13 AM
vapour

There is always two sides to a story though, and what you read on CNN
doesn't automatically make it correct.

For all we know, this guy may have patented this idea so that it couldn't be
done by any of the major corporations.

just an idea.

"Wally AngleseaT" wrote in
message ...

--

Find out about Australia's most dangerous Doomsday Cult:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/wanglese/pebble.htm

"You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down."

Old March 15th 04, 09:14 PM
Jan Taylor

This idea....is OLD news. Can't remember exactly when I first heard of
this idea.....but think it was several years ago when listening to an
astronomy speaker somewhere.

Quick research (to jog my memory) online found this:

http://www.newrules.org/info/space.html

While I am not opposed to adding commercial advertising stickers to
rockets or to ISS...covering the skies folks is INHO headed in the
wrong direction..(Light pollution is bad enough...now they want to
cover up the night skies so we REALLY cant see?)

However, it will happen at some point.....just watch!

Jan Taylor

San Antonio Astronomical Observers Group
http://www.sanantonioastronomical.org

Yahoo Group for San Antonio Astronomical Observers Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sanantonioastronomical/