Canon 10D vs. Nikon D70 for astrophotography

Old May 18th 04, 12:11 AM

Default Canon 10D vs. Nikon D70 for astrophotography

"Al" wrote:

The price is not the only bad news. On top of paying up to $900 extra for
the modification, one must also give up any warranty from Canon.

Did you read the webpage? Hutech warrants the item for 6 months.

This means that if your camera self-destructs in one week,
you've got nothing.

I buy all my Canon equipment grey-market, and thus completely
unwarranted. Probably saved over a thousand bucks at this point by
electing a non-warranty sale. Maybe I'm just lucky, but many others
do this as well.

And if you are truly paranoid about getting "nothing", there is always
insurance. (Which would, to the paranoid, be required _anyways_ after
the manufacturer supplied insurance (aka "warranty") expires...)
Old May 18th 04, 12:51 AM

Chris L Peterson wrote:

This camera is fundamentally intended for "normal"
imaging. With this mod, you give that up,

Well, there is the IR photography contingent. There is even a
slightly more expensive mod which would allow continued "normal" use
of the camera. (If a warranty is warranted, this would be the case.)

you give up the warranty,

As the webpage says: Hutech will warrant it for 6 months. Probably
some appreciable fraction of the extra cash _is_ this warranty.

and you end up with a total investment in the same range as you
could get a proper astronomical imaging camera for anyway.

Where can one get a 6MP "proper astronomical imaging camera" for $1500
+- 100%?

While the 300D does a better job at
astroimaging than any other digital camera I've seen, it still doesn't come
close to what a good, cooled, B&W astrocamera is capable of.

Who said it could? And even though it can't, this isn't the point, is
it? Hutech is betting that for the pretty-picture crowd -- which
probably includes the bulk of North American amateur astronomers --
even $1500 is a most reasonable deal for such a large, albeit warm,
sensor that can do more than it really should be capable of doing (see
2004 June S&T, pg. 130, for examples). And certainly more than an
unmodified camera can do.

They will find out one way or the other, while hoping no one posts the
modification details on the Internet or prints it in S&T...
Old May 18th 04, 01:44 AM
Chris L Peterson

On 17 May 2004 15:44:00 -0700, (Tom Polakis) wrote:

Chris, where did you find a Digital Rebel body for $600?

$584 at
http://www.expresscameras.com . A friend of mine just bought one there
and got good service. I got mine a while back when they were a bit more, but I
feel like I've already gotten my money's worth.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old May 18th 04, 03:35 AM
Al

Did you read the webpage? Hutech warrants the item for 6 months

I did read the webpage, and my understanding was that Hutech warrants their
own work, not the camera. I could be wrong, so I'll go back and read it
again.

I buy all my Canon equipment grey-market

More power to you...and I hope your luck does not wear out. Nevertheless,
for me and _many_ others like me, buying a gray market camera is simply out
of the question. You may have saved many bucks by buying gray market, but
this sort of thing has a habit of taking a bite out of your ass when you
least expect it.

And if you are truly paranoid about getting "nothing", there is always
insurance.

What insurance...and how much does it cost?

Al

wrote in message
om...

Old May 18th 04, 07:15 PM

"Al" wrote:

What insurance...and how much does it cost?

http://www.photo.net/learn/insurance

But before you check that, you may want to read this:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/etc/bierce.html
Old May 18th 04, 07:50 PM
Al

Mine was a rhetorical question, but it was a question and it was a stupid
one...so is the answer.

Al

wrote in message
om...

Old May 19th 04, 12:22 AM

"Al" wrote:

Mine was a rhetorical question,

The only discernable rhetorical purpose the question could serve was
to point out that insurance costs money. Well, dude, so do
warranties. So do extra large pizzas. But we already know that,
don't we? But if you wish, I can simply assume you are just plain
stupid and that these 'revelations' are of truly profound significance
to you. But wait:

but it was a question and it was a stupid one...

I guess I don't have to assume in the face of your admissions, eh?

so is the answer.

After looking up the definition of "rhetorical question", you can
proceed next to "non sequitur".

Nikon Astroluxe 18x70 binoculars Bill Tschumy Amateur Astronomy 1 May 8th 04 05:07 AM
Canon 300D Szaki Amateur Astronomy 10 April 20th 04 03:28 AM
Canon A70 instead? (was Canon S400 ok for astro?) Alan Charlesworth Amateur Astronomy 2 October 28th 03 02:30 PM
Nikon 10x42 and Zeiss B/GA Classic C 8x30. Some thoughts on using for Astronomy. David McHarg Amateur Astronomy 5 October 23rd 03 05:32 PM
Canon IS binocs/Nikon Superior E/Fuji 16x70. David McHarg Amateur Astronomy 1 August 14th 03 11:39 PM