Machholz and single malt

Old December 18th 04, 07:52 PM
Joe S.

Default Machholz and single malt

Last night was a rare one here in NE TN -- skies were clear, cold, and
steady, 24 deg, light wind -- stars were not twinkling at all. As the moon
slid down to the west, I pulled out my XT-8, found Rigel, and swept to the
west and -- jackpot -- there was comet Machholz -- a fuzzy blob, no
discernible tail but the head was clearly bright and dense. As I looked
longer and longer I determined that the fuzzy part did extend farther in one
direction than the other. Comet looked good at three mags -- 38X (32mm TV
Plossl), 67X (18mm Meade SWA), and 171X (7mm Nagler).

Moved over to Orion, put in a nebula filter and spent 15 minutes staring at
M48 -- very nice.

Switched to my cheapie 40mm 2-inch EP and checked out Pleiades -- sparkling.

Hauled everything back into the garage and headed inside for two fingers of
17-year-old Lahproaig.

Hope to repeat tonight -- except I'll close out the evening with two fingers
of Dalwhinnie.

--

-----
Joe S.

Old December 18th 04, 09:10 PM
md

"Joe S." wrote in message ...
[...]

nice! although I prefer the Dalwhinnie in the summer and a Lagavulin on cold nights, (and
Highland Park after dinner) :-)
--
md

Old December 18th 04, 09:33 PM
Stefan Ahlgren

nice! although I prefer the Dalwhinnie in the summer and a Lagavulin on
cold nights, (and
Highland Park after dinner) :-)

Seems you Americans have sensible habits after all! ;o)
Caught the Comet tonight in combination with a real Irish Coffee, based on
Jameson whisky (I would'nt waste fine single malt lika Laphroig on a coffee
drink ...
/Stefan, Sweden,

Old December 18th 04, 10:53 PM
md

"Stefan Ahlgren" wrote in message
nice! although I prefer the Dalwhinnie in the summer and a Lagavulin on

cold nights, (and
Highland Park after dinner) :-)

Seems you Americans have sensible habits after all! ;o)

oh, I am not american. I am dutch

:-)
--
md

Old December 19th 04, 12:23 AM

Well, I'm American and I was also looking at the comet last night in my
XT6 and TV85. And afterwards I had a nice glass of a 30 year old
single malt called The Dalmore. A perfect evening.

Clyde

Old December 19th 04, 01:40 AM
Wayne Howell

It's an observation that has been growing for well over 15
years......why is it that (in my experience) far more amateur
astronomers than statistics would support prefer as their adult beverage
some of the top level singlemalts?

Wayne Howell
Photon Phlats Observatory
Port Townsend, WA
Old December 19th 04, 02:02 AM
Kevin M. Vernon

I'm really kinda partial to Jameson's, myself. Preferrably John Jameson
Special Reserve.

-Kevin
--
Remove "nospam" from domain part of address

Old December 19th 04, 02:20 AM
Joe S.

It has something to do with being people of discriminating taste who
appreciate life's finer moments.

--

-----
Joe S.

Old December 19th 04, 02:45 AM
Ed Erbeck Jr.

Awwwww - And I finished off my MacAllan Anniversary Malt ("Over 25 Years
Old". Guess I'll have to wait for the next Comet! ;-).

Crazy Ed

Old December 19th 04, 07:02 AM
Chuck

I'm a single malt scotch lover myself, but a more interesting and revealing
question is what is the worst whiskey you've ever drunk?