ASTRO: Eskimo 1 last time...

Old April 21st 07, 05:21 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
J McBride

Default ASTRO: Eskimo 1 last time...

maybe this year. I got about 3 minutes into this one. Its gotten alot
warmer out so the camera isn't as sensitive as it was when it was
colder...but the battery lasts longer. Its still a bit rough and gritty.
Anyway it is through my C-11 taken with a CP4500 @ 200asa.

Joe

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ngc2392-blend-3min.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	701
Old April 21st 07, 06:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

J McBride wrote:

maybe this year. I got about 3 minutes into this one. Its gotten alot
warmer out so the camera isn't as sensitive as it was when it was
colder...but the battery lasts longer. Its still a bit rough and gritty.
Anyway it is through my C-11 taken with a CP4500 @ 200asa.

Joe

Needs a barlow. Though this combination should be great for some of the
larger star clusters and Milky Way shots with the large image scale.

Does the CCD get slower or just noisier with rising temperature. I'd
think it mostly a noise problem.

I was able to still run at -35C a couple nights ago but soon will have
to drop down to -30 or -25 I'm afraid. Tonight we have lots of thunder
and lightning but so far only a short 6" rain -- 6" between drops that
is. Not at all what we need.

Know spring is coming. Coon ripped apart my "coon proof" feeder
tonight. Have to try something different I see.

Lake still mostly frozen but ice is black and there was enough open
water along my shore for a loon to land. No way he can take off again
so if the ice moves this way it's in deep trouble. If it rains tonight
that should do in the ice.

Rick

Old April 21st 07, 03:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
J McBride

Hi Rick, My CCD right now is a point and shoot Nikon Digital camera now
several years old. I also have 12 rolls of E200 in the freezer. My Astro
club has had problems with the dome that houses the paramount/C14 that we
have. A lightning strike has rendered the automation of the dome controller
non functional and the guy that we bought the control system from is now in
a another line of work or something...but can't be reached so we are slowly
getting the circuits and things back online...hopefully in a few weeks. A
friend from work is helping with the control system by writing a schematic
and parts list for us. The paramount is fine along with everything
else...computers etc. Now we need to make it so we don't get hit again by
lightning.

Joe

Old April 21st 07, 03:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

Joe

that's a nice image of the Eskimo

that was one of my early quarries with my 18" cassegrain optics when I had
them in the older frame.

I had one night of superb seeing and got the Eskimo in Halpha

I tried several more times to get other species but the seeing was bad at
the time.

I need to return to it someday and finish up the job

in the meantime this is what I shot:

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/ngc..._6303_page.htm

I attached the Halpha and you can go to my webpage to find the color version
that has the [OIII] and [NII] taken when the seeing wasn't so good.

I always liked the Halpha version though so I have hopes that someday I can
add some more species to it when the seeing is good.

this is not an easy target to do well.

"J McBride" wrote in message
maybe this year. I got about 3 minutes into this one. Its gotten alot
warmer out so the camera isn't as sensitive as it was when it was
colder...but the battery lasts longer. Its still a bit rough and gritty.
Anyway it is through my C-11 taken with a CP4500 @ 200asa.

Joe

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eskimo_nebula_ha_1hr_40min.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	706
Old April 24th 07, 12:40 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"J McBride" wrote

Joe,

Great image!!

Hi Rick, My CCD right now is a point and shoot Nikon Digital camera now
several years old. I also have 12 rolls of E200 in the freezer.........

I've not tried this 'trick' lately, but in my 'early days' of CCD (early
90's) I use to put dry ice 'snow' in a plactic baggie and rubber band it to
the outside of the CCD camera (SBIG ST-6) on warm summer nights. It worked
OK with bringing down the temp.

club has had problems with the dome that houses the paramount/C14 that we
have. A lightning strike has rendered the automation of the dome
controller
non functional.........

We've always had that problem at Kopernik. The concrete around the
lightning rods is all mangled from strikes. We disconnect everything during
the summer. However our worst damage has been from wind driven rain getting
into the dome. One winter the C-14's dome ended up with two feet of snow
inside. We had a tornado miss by about a half mile, and then there was a
moderate earthquake, but that just rattled things. I guess lack of $$ will
be what finally kills us off!

George N