Sea launch for Atlas V?

Old September 11th 05, 04:53 PM
Allen Thomson

Default Sea launch for Atlas V?

The current political events in Ukraine got me to wondering
about the continued availability of Zenit. Which then
led to the thought that Atlas V is rather Zenit-like in
design and operations.

Has anybody looked into the possibility of sea launch
for A-V?

Old September 11th 05, 08:29 PM
Damon Hill

"Allen Thomson" wrote in
ups.com:

The current political events in Ukraine got me to wondering
about the continued availability of Zenit. Which then
led to the thought that Atlas V is rather Zenit-like in
design and operations.

Has anybody looked into the possibility of sea launch
for A-V?

That won't be easy; Atlas has a separate cryogenic (LH2)
upper stage that the Sea Launch platform isn't equipped
to service. Zenit is mostly plugged in at the base
with all propellant plumbing in through there; the Centaur
upper stage requires a service mast.

Atlas V has a somewhat similar payload, if the Sea Launch
platform could handle solid strapons.

Atlas is integrated vertically; might be some issues in
adapting it to horizontal integration and handling.

Big show-stopper is if the RD-180 engines, made in the
Ukraine, became unavailable. LockMart may have a Plan
B for that contingency, but it might require a good
bit of time to implement.

In summary, we already have good EELV land facilities; if
Zenit became unavailable, Sea Launch is probably dead in the
water.

--Damon
Old September 11th 05, 09:55 PM
Murray Anderson

"Damon Hill" wrote in message
31...
"Allen Thomson" wrote in
ups.com:

[...]

The RD-180 is made in Khimki, a Moscow suburb, just like the Zenit engine,
the RD-171.

Old September 12th 05, 02:42 AM
Damon Hill

"Murray Anderson" wrote in
:

"Damon Hill" wrote in message
31...

Big show-stopper is if the RD-180 engines, made in the
Ukraine, became unavailable. LockMart may have a Plan
B for that contingency, but it might require a good
bit of time to implement.

The RD-180 is made in Khimki, a Moscow suburb, just like the Zenit
engine, the RD-171.

I stand corrected, thank you.

--Damon