observing jupiter the next few years

Old February 13th 05, 04:39 PM
md

Default observing jupiter the next few years

hi,

playing with my planetarium software I noticed that Jupiter is very low in the sky this year (I
am at 52N) and will even be lower in the sky the next few years. Fortunately Saturn is higher,
but I guess this year is the best for Jupiter for the next couple of years :-( As my eastern
and southern skies are obstructed by houses I hope I will be able to capture jupiter at all
from my backyard.

--
md
10" LX200GPS-SMT

Old February 13th 05, 05:50 PM

md wrote:
hi,

playing with my planetarium software I noticed that Jupiter is very

low in the sky this year (I
am at 52N) and will even be lower in the sky the next few years.

Fortunately Saturn is higher,
but I guess this year is the best for Jupiter for the next couple of

years :-( As my eastern
and southern skies are obstructed by houses I hope I will be able to

capture jupiter at all
from my backyard.

Unfortunately is going to be a very poor year for Jupiter for us "up
north" and will only get worse for the next four years. I guess we must
make do with what little is left...

Best

Andrea T. (53.2 N)

Old February 13th 05, 07:08 PM
David Nakamoto

Well, certainly if you're stuck in the northern hemisphere you should try and
see Jupiter before it enters the southern part of the ecliptic. It's the same
problem with every planet when you're further north than 0 degrees latitude and
it journeys into those mysterious southern climes. ^_^

On the bright side, the Mars Opposition later this year is further north than
the previous three, which is good, but it's also more distant than the previous
three, which is bad. Why Mars chose to do this when most human beings even
today are north of 0 degrees latitude is a philosophical and spiritual
discussion for another day. ^_^

AND Saturn is slowly moving towards more southerly climes, so get your kicks in
while you can!
--
Sincerely,
--- Dave

Old February 13th 05, 10:15 PM
David Nakamoto

Yeah, as soon as I sent it I knew I was wrong. But there's no escape from the
send key. ^_^
--
Sincerely,
--- Dave
It don't mean a thing
unless it has that certain "je ne sais quoi"
Duke Ellington

"md" not given to avoid spam wrote in message

"David Nakamoto" wrote in message
"PaulCsouls" wrote in message
On 13 Feb 2005 09:50:52 -0800, wrote:

Beat, Saturn has been rained out this year and I enjoy those Jupiter
transits. Mars should be close and high this year. What season will
Mars be in during opposition? Will we see the ice caps change again?

According to my planetarium program, Summer appears to be ending for the
southern hemisphere, so perhaps we'll get a peak at it? But the north polar
cap
is coming out of winter, so how large can it be, and how easily seen? The
entire planet will only barely make it to 20 arc-seconds., 20% smaller than
the
tremendous opposition of 2001 (1999?).

2003
--
md
10" LX200GPS-SMT

Old February 13th 05, 11:09 PM
md

wrote in message
oups.com...

md wrote:
hi,

playing with my planetarium software I noticed that Jupiter is very

low in the sky this year (I
am at 52N) and will even be lower in the sky the next few years.

Fortunately Saturn is higher,
but I guess this year is the best for Jupiter for the next couple of

years :-( As my eastern
and southern skies are obstructed by houses I hope I will be able to

capture jupiter at all
from my backyard.

Unfortunately is going to be a very poor year for Jupiter for us "up
north" and will only get worse for the next four years. I guess we must
make do with what little is left...

Best

Andrea T. (53.2 N)

Yes, only saturn and mars are high in the sky the next few years, and they are fine targets,
but I guess I do need to make the investments and go deep-sky :-)
--
md
10" LX200GPS-SMT

Old February 13th 05, 11:58 PM

Well, the southern hemisphere may be fortunate in some respects
regarding amateur astronomy, but I am still PROUD to be a native of,
and to live in, the greatest hemisphere of them all - the NORTHERN
hemisphere.

Allison