Youngest/oldest Moon you have observed/photographed?

Old February 10th 05, 01:16 AM
Mark

Default Youngest/oldest Moon you have observed/photographed?

Sky and Tel has discussed this quite a bit lately, and I managed to
snap a pic of the 24 hour, 28 minute old Moon tonight just before it
slipped below the roofline of the house across the street. I am about
25 feet above sea level (central Florida).

http://www.geocities.com/smalldob/images/ymp_020905.JPG

The pic was taken with an Astele 70mm Maksutov-Cassegrain telescope,
using a Kodak DC4800 digital camera couple afocally to a TeleVue 32mm
Plossl. The camera was set to f/2.8, ISO 200, and I used a half second
exposure. The image needs to be flipped horizontally and vertically,
of course, to get the true orientation of the Moon, but I left it the
way it is for the date/time stamp. Brightness and contrast were pumped
up just a bit to increase visibility.

If you get an error message, try later.

Mark

Old February 10th 05, 01:37 AM
Florian

Hi Mark,

Nice image. I just watched the young moon set over the San Jacinto mtns=20
west of Palm Springs.

-Florian
Palm Springs, Calif.

Old February 10th 05, 01:44 AM
Florian

Nice image. I just watched the young moon set over the San Jacinto mtns =

west of Palm Springs.

The Naval Observator site (http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/) says the moon=20
was new on the 8th at 2:28pm PST. That would make the thin crescent i=20
saw 27 hours old. That's certainly a record for me!

-Florian
Palm Springs, Calif.

Old February 10th 05, 01:58 AM
Mark

Oops, you are absolutely right, I did not convert correctly from UT.
That would make the Moon I imaged 25 hours and 25 minutes old (and
easier to remember). I've been trying to do this for a few months now,
this is a record for me. My previous best was 35 hours and 21 minutes
in January.

Mark

Old February 10th 05, 02:30 AM
tony hoffman

Nice. The youngest I've seen was about 30 hours. The youngest I've
photographed was this:
http://home.earthlink.net/~tonyhoffman/LunarVistas.htm
at about 53 hours.
--Tony

ps.com...

Old February 10th 05, 02:45 AM
Florian

http://home.earthlink.net/~tonyhoffman/LunarVistas.htm

Tony, very nice.=20

-Florian

Old February 10th 05, 03:26 AM
Mark

Thanks, I neglected to mention that the dark shadow cutting across the
top of the picture is the roofline of the neighbors' house, so I
literally did this with only seconds to spare, and that the camera was
set to 3X optical zoom. I vaguely knew that tonight would be a good
opportunity but didn't prepare very well at all. After realizing I had
the opportunity, there was barely enough time to assemble the tripod
and scope, set the camera to about what I knew it should be, center the
Moon in the eyepiece, couple the camera to it and snap the picture. In
hindsight I should have also zoomed out and taken one with more stuff
in the background to frame the shot better. Of course with the Moon
moving its own width every two minutes, there isn't much time to
improvise.

Very nice image Tony.

Mark

Old February 10th 05, 03:57 AM
starman

Mark wrote:

Sky and Tel has discussed this quite a bit lately, and I managed to
snap a pic of the 24 hour, 28 minute old Moon tonight just before it
slipped below the roofline of the house across the street. I am about
25 feet above sea level (central Florida).

http://www.geocities.com/smalldob/images/ymp_020905.JPG

The pic was taken with an Astele 70mm Maksutov-Cassegrain telescope,
using a Kodak DC4800 digital camera couple afocally to a TeleVue 32mm
Plossl. The camera was set to f/2.8, ISO 200, and I used a half second
exposure. The image needs to be flipped horizontally and vertically,
of course, to get the true orientation of the Moon, but I left it the
way it is for the date/time stamp. Brightness and contrast were pumped
up just a bit to increase visibility.

If you get an error message, try later.

Mark

My personal best is a 22-hr moon after sunset in the month of February
(43-deg. N) with no visual aids. This was about twenty years ago.

Old February 10th 05, 05:35 AM
CLT

Congrats Mark. That's young!

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?

Are you interested in understanding optics?

************************************

ps.com...

Old February 10th 05, 05:39 AM
Stan Jensen

On May 5, 1989, Terry Hunefeld, Kevin Jung, and Bruce Sidell spotted a
13 hr. 40 min. crescent moon near Grand Rapids, Michigan. This just
missed the old record by 12 minutes which was, oddly enough, set just
12 minutes earlier by Robert Victor in Lansing, Michigan.

This blew past the previous record by an hour or so. They even got
written up in the Sept. 1989 Sky and Telescope.

S.

The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones Misc 6 July 29th 04 06:14 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Astronomy Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla Misc 10 July 25th 04 02:57 PM
The apollo faq the inquirer Astronomy Misc 11 April 22nd 04 06:23 AM
significant addition to section 25 of the faq heat Astronomy Misc 1 April 15th 04 01:20 AM