Hardin Optical 8" Dobsonian Telescope

Old October 13th 03, 07:44 PM
Bobsprit

Interesting, while the new computer controls on the Orion seem nice, I
have read numerous reports stating that the Hardin and other GS dobs
are better at least optically than the Orion/Synta Dobs.

I've used both scopes, though the orion model was several years old. They were
about the same optically. The Hardin's mount got sloppy fast, and much like the
awful Meade, needed rebuilding..
Please link us to the "numerous reviews." I've rarely read bad reports on Orion
scopes.

RB
Old October 13th 03, 09:26 PM
Bobsprit

FYI

From what I was recently told, Hardin used to make scopes for Orion. Perhaps
the "superior" Orion scope I used was one of theirs. In any case, the new Orion
scopes appear to be a leap forward with integrated setting circles and well
engineered mounts. By comparison, the Hardin's look like dinosaurs. I can find
little that attacks either's scope from an optical standpoint on the web, nor
is there much on Hardin at all. I'm very interested in seeing the links to any
Hardin reviews or comparisons to other dobs. Someone here claimed they were
"numerous."
I suspect the initial post was actually spam. The fellow calls a "nice lady"
good customer service! I know plenty of nice ladies who will do the same for a
bit of business. He also bothers to mention that the call was toll free and
calls the scope "a fine piece of equipment" sight unseen. Sounds like a sales
pitch or someone trying to be convinced he bought the right scope.
Since Hardin is no fly-by-night outfit, I'm sure the scope is okay. I wish them
luck in chasing down Orion. I just hope they do better than Meade did in their
pursuit of Celestron.

Capt RB
NY

Old October 13th 03, 11:42 PM
Bobsprit

If the Orion scope was several years old as you mentioned, then it was
in all likelihood made the same company that currently makes the
Hardin scope. A fact that was mentioned in the original post.

Please read my followup comments. In any case no scope is useful on a poor
mount. Perhaps the newer Hardin is better.

RB

Old October 14th 03, 04:16 AM
Sherry Katz

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
The Hardin is quite nice. It's cheaper than the Orion if you are on a
budget. Not everyone needs or wants digital setting circles.

It's not worth the 100 dollar difference or so to not get the better built

unit
with greater range of options available. Has Hardin improved the mount?

Hardin has improved the mount.

The Orion is F 4.7 I believe. The Hardin is F 5. The difference matters as
far as image quality.

Old October 14th 03, 04:18 AM
Sherry Katz

Since Hardin is no fly-by-night outfit, I'm sure the scope is okay. I wish

them
luck in chasing down Orion. I just hope they do better than Meade did in

their
pursuit of Celestron.

Capt RB
NY

Uh? Meade outsells Celestron something like three to one.