Eclipse Glasses

Old June 5th 04, 11:23 AM
Lloyd Jones

Default Eclipse Glasses

Hey guy's,

Does anyone know where I can buy a pair of them special glasses you get for
look at eclipse's etc.? So I can see Venus pass the sun a few days. Or I
might use a soldering mask to view it, would that work?

LJ

Old June 5th 04, 01:13 PM
DT

Lloyd Jones wrote
Hey guy's,

Does anyone know where I can buy a pair of them special glasses you get for
look at eclipse's etc.? So I can see Venus pass the sun a few days. Or I
might use a soldering mask to view it, would that work?

LJ

Lloyd, even thought some of your posts have had me spitting at the
screen, I can't sit by and let you blind yourself.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'soldering mask' but even arc-welding
goggles are not sufficient protection.
To be completely safe, you need Baader film, or it's equivalent, or use
the projection method of viewing. If you've got a good camera or astro
shop near you, give them a try, as they may have stocked up for the
event.
I don't know where you can get viewing glasses, but the BBC science web
site, or a phone call to the science museum in London, may give you a
reliable source. Remember that there will be people out there who will
sell you any old crap just to get your money, so be sure you know what
you're buying.
Good luck, but don't risk your sight.
:-)
Denis
--
DT
Replace nospam with the antithesis of hills
Old June 5th 04, 01:21 PM
Painius

"Lloyd Jones" wrote...
in message ...

Hey guy's,

Does anyone know where I can buy a pair of them special glasses you get for
look at eclipse's etc.? So I can see Venus pass the sun a few days. Or I
might use a soldering mask to view it, would that work?

LJ

'Lo Lloyd --

Here are some links that you may find helpful...

http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...ipse_view.html

http://www.rainbowsymphony.com/eclipse/soleclipse.html

http://web.archive.org/web/200111090...ef-solret.html

http://mintaka.sdsu.edu/GF/vision/Galileo.html

A soldering mask might not be a strong enough filter, so please
be very careful. You might try a #14 welder's glass.

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
Delight in yourself...
for you are the stuff of stars!

Paine Ellsworth

Old June 5th 04, 02:29 PM
Lloyd Jones

Cheers Painius, Oh and DT don't spit at the screen it's not hygienic lol.

LJ

Old June 5th 04, 03:25 PM
Peter Webb

Forget it.

Apart from the considerable danger, you won't be able to see anything at
all. Venus is to small to resolve as a disk with the naked eye, so its
almost certainly to small to see as a black object against a white
background. You won't even be able see it approach the Sun -because we are
looking at the dark (night) side of Venus - and when its directly in front
of the Sun, it would be like looking for ant crawling across a fluorescent
tube 100 yards away.

Old June 5th 04, 03:34 PM
Lloyd Jones

I hope someone will post a picture in or a link to one as I really wanted to
see it.

LJ

Old June 5th 04, 03:40 PM
sniper-joe

Welding goggles in Shade #14 will work fine ... I've used it for ~10
years with no problems.

JJS

Old June 5th 04, 04:55 PM
Bill Nunnelee

Check out the webcast links at the end of this article:
http://skyandtelescope.com/observing...cle_1258_1.asp

Old June 5th 04, 11:10 PM
Painius

'Lo Peter --

You may find this link interesting...

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/venu...de_040604.html

"Peter Webb" wrote...
in message u...

Old June 5th 04, 11:48 PM
MIKE

Assuming the sky is clear, I plan to use four layers of exposed film.
The transit here is almost over at sunrise so the sun won't be very
bright being filtered by the atmosphere. (Sunrise is 5:08 but there are
mountains in the way so it won't be visible until about 6. The transit
is all over at 7:25).

-MIKE