Optical willy showing?

Old December 23rd 04, 08:14 PM
Jayce Jayce is offline
Junior Member

Default Optical willy showing?

I have been out of astronomy for 20 years. A friend has just offered me a Tasco 114mm reflector. Unlike most newbies I know what to expect and want to just use this for fun. A friend 25 years ago bought a 10" Cambridge Instruments Reflector with a bespoke observatory built by his father in the garden. This did not show enough detail of ANYTHING for me. I was a dedicated member of a society at the time (H Cooper even gave a lecture there!) I was weaned on images of seriously professional scopes and to pretend you are going to get otherwise for under £10,000 you are dreaming. I even paid a visit to the radio array (bedsteads) at Cambridge and the moveable large array (and contolled one!) I also used the vintage very large refractor at Cambridge. Now some people think they are going to pay XXXXX amount and see "the photos in the books" it aint so. I am not saying that useful work cannot be done by amatuers cant be done as it has, and will be. Even the worse is better than Galileo had. But we seem to be getting into "willy showing" I scuba dive and people show off with the latest DUI self donning when I am "2nd Class" with a Nordic sport - if you have a neoprene suit we are not supposed to talk to you (LOL) I am also a model engineer. I have a "chinese" 9x20 lathe. With knowledge and work it can be made to work as well as a Myford but we are regarded as outcasts or poor relations to the Myford 7 / Boxford / Colchester owning clans. I also shoot - I have a gun at ISP at the moment being engraved, custom stock etc etc - why? Maybe so I can look down on the plebs with standard rifles at the club as I wouldnt dare take it for hunting - which is what it was made for - as it has cost me too much. Form over function? Maybe - we should help people to get the very best out of what they have rather than slag it off - my Tasco 114mm reflector only cost me £50 and a bit of work on my mates racing car!
Old December 24th 04, 04:59 AM
Richard

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 19:14:42 +0000, Jayce
wrote:

I have been out of astronomy for 20 years. A friend has just offered me
a Tasco 114mm reflector. Unlike most newbies I know what to expect and
want to just use this for fun.

This is your big "out." It's the same as movie critics who use terms
like "popcorn movies" or "fluff movies" as a way of avoiding the fact
they won't admit to actually liking a low-brow movie and thus are
intellectually weaker than they'd have you believe.

Old December 24th 04, 06:13 AM

What a whiner!

Old December 24th 04, 08:53 AM

I think you misunderstood the OP. :-)
*
If you want to see "willy waving" taken to the utmost extreme of empty
ostentation take a look at cycling.
*
Thousands of dollars for components and details that don't help the
podgy, unfit rider go anywhere. ;-)
*
It was just the same 40 years ago!
*
Merry Christmas everybody!
*
Chris.B

Old December 24th 04, 11:58 AM
Jayce Jayce is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
I think you misunderstood the OP. :-)
*
If you want to see "willy waving" taken to the utmost extreme of empty
ostentation take a look at cycling.
*
Thousands of dollars for components and details that don't help the
podgy, unfit rider go anywhere. ;-)
*
It was just the same 40 years ago!
*
Merry Christmas everybody!
*
Chris.B
Thank you Chris!
I have to work with 2 of the above! They look like latex lard!!!!
Old December 24th 04, 12:04 PM
Jayce Jayce is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
wrote:

[...]

So what am I supposed to do? I can get a cheap telescope, improve it and maybe rekindle the urge to rejoin the big boys again. I did enjoy it but you can enjoy it in a vicarious way by looking at the pics from the real pros. I did love the cold nights with good company though! I have NO problem buying a £1000 'scope as I have spent half that on having a gun engraved, but it is a challenge to see what can be done with a "cheapie"
Old December 24th 04, 12:10 PM
Jayce Jayce is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
What a whiner!
Please define! I am happy with what I have. My aim is to get the best out of any of the above. I could afford it but :- DUI - too scared about ripping it on a wreck. Myford/Colchester/Boxford - spares expensive and most owners are scared to modify them due to cost. Telescope - I have only built a refractor 25 years ago so any ideas about fitting other eyepieces etc will be appreciated. As it is cheap I can experiment and cut bigger holes in tube etc without worrying. As for my guns they are all modified and the only whiners are at the club because they dont own them!
I am prepared to turn this telescope into a project and post details of all mods done as it may help others "lumbered" with a Tasco!
Old December 24th 04, 08:06 PM

Why waste the time on a scope like that? You can't make a silk purse
from a sow's ear. But, if you must... Your biggest drawback
is going to be the optics. First thing to do is check the eyepieces.
Are
they crappy 0.96"? If so, change the focuser for a 1-1/4" and get some
new eyepieces like Plossls. They cost around $20ea. for basic Chinese
jobs. Second, collimate or learn how to collimate the scope. I'd
suggest
a book like Nigh****ch or The Backyard Observer's Guide.

Old December 24th 04, 10:44 PM
Jon Isaacs

have NO problem buying a £1000 'scope as I have spent half that on
having a gun engraved, but it is a challenge to see what can be done
with a "cheapie"

I try to avoid "cheapies", rather I prefer "inexpensive" equipment. In so
doing, one can get some pretty solid performance without spending a great deal
of money. The modern asian Newtonians are certainly a bargin in this regard.

In this hobby, like any hobby its not how much money you throw at it, rather it
is the care and effort you put into it and the pleasure and knowledge you get
out of it.

Under the night sky looking through the eyepiece is where the action is...

jon isaacs