These composite (fake) images do no service to astronomy

Old July 2nd 15, 07:58 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

Default These composite (fake) images do no service to astronomy

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/1507...WangLetian.jpg

Old July 2nd 15, 08:18 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Thursday, July 2, 2015 at 7:58:40 AM UTC+1, RichA wrote:
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/1507...WangLetian.jpg

Sure the image doesn't do any service but you haven't identified why the composite is obstructive nor is anyone else likely to.

Old July 2nd 15, 01:51 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Thursday, July 2, 2015 at 2:58:40 AM UTC-4, RichA wrote:
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/1507...WangLetian.jpg

It is rather unfortunate that the image of the waxing gibbous Moon was so "seamlessly" placed in that fake photo. Using a border to separate the planets' images from the Moon's would have been far more appropriate and correct.

Old July 2nd 15, 07:05 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 11:58:40 PM UTC-7, RichA wrote:
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/1507...WangLetian.jpg

In this case I disagree. Had you linked to the original page...

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap150702.html

.... you could have read... "Imaged that night with the same telescope and camera, the rising Moon from the opposite part of the sky is compared with the planetary conjunction for scale in the digitally composited image. The full lunar disk covers an angle of about 1/2 degree on the sky."

The imager did this only to show folks who, for whatever reason, couldn't view this magnificent conjunction for themselves, to demonstrate just how close these planets appeared to be on June 30th.

Sure, the picture is an admitted fake, but was created for a noble reason.

\Paul A
Old July 2nd 15, 07:49 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

palsing wrote:
On Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 11:58:40 PM UTC-7, RichA wrote:
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/1507...WangLetian.jpg

In this case I disagree. Had you linked to the original page...

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap150702.html

... you could have read... "Imaged that night with the same telescope and
camera, the rising Moon from the opposite part of the sky is compared
with the planetary conjunction for scale in the digitally composited
image. The full lunar disk covers an angle of about 1/2 degree on the sky."

The imager did this only to show folks who, for whatever reason, couldn't
view this magnificent conjunction for themselves, to demonstrate just how
close these planets appeared to be on June 30th.

Sure, the picture is an admitted fake, but was created for a noble reason.

\Paul A

I agree with Snell. There should have been a border. Images like this can
keep turning up on the internet like the unfortunate Mars will look as big
as the Moon fiasco.
Old July 2nd 15, 08:53 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Thursday, July 2, 2015 at 11:51:19 AM UTC-7, Mike Collins wrote:
palsing wrote:
[...]

You make a good argument, but a border might have made the intended 'actual' size comparison not as apparent as it is without a border. A picture with another bordered inserted picture does not necessarily indicate that the image scale is the same for each photo subject. I might also point out that this picture COULD have been the Real Thing, but I'm sure that such occasions are very rare.

In any case, I loved the picture, even knowing it was a fake, and I personally thought it indeed served a useful purpose. YMMV.

\Paul A
Old July 2nd 15, 09:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Thursday, July 2, 2015 at 3:53:15 PM UTC-4, palsing wrote:

I might also point out that this picture COULD have been the Real Thing, but I'm sure that such occasions are very rare.

When viewed from the Earth, a nearly-full Moon NEVER appears THAT close to Venus!

Old July 2nd 15, 09:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Thursday, July 2, 2015 at 2:05:13 PM UTC-4, palsing wrote:
On Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 11:58:40 PM UTC-7, RichA wrote:
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/1507...WangLetian.jpg

In this case I disagree. Had you linked to the original page...

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap150702.html

... you could have read... "Imaged that night with the same telescope and
camera, the rising Moon from the opposite part of the sky is compared with the
planetary conjunction for scale in the digitally composited image. The full
lunar disk covers an angle of about 1/2 degree on the sky."

Those who cannot read English might not get the joke.
Old July 2nd 15, 11:12 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Mike Collins:
I agree with Snell. There should have been a border. Images like this can
keep turning up on the internet like the unfortunate Mars will look as big
as the Moon fiasco.

That wasn't a fiasco; it was a hoax that was spread by the unschooled
and uncurious. I don't think anybody was harmed by it, though
self-righteous amateur astronomers got pretty steamed.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old July 2nd 15, 11:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/1507...angLetian..jpg

In this case I disagree. Had you linked to the original page...

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap150702.html

... you could have read... "Imaged that night with the same telescope and camera, the rising Moon from the opposite part of the sky is compared with the planetary conjunction for scale in the digitally composited image. The full lunar disk covers an angle of about 1/2 degree on the sky."

The imager did this only to show folks who, for whatever reason, couldn't view this magnificent conjunction for themselves, to demonstrate just how close these planets appeared to be on June 30th.

Sure, the picture is an admitted fake, but was created for a noble reason..

\Paul A

In less than a year, the image will drifting around, no captions, for people who are dull to believe.