Empiricism Was Not Well-Liked in the Past

Old June 18th 15, 09:34 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Default Empiricism Was Not Well-Liked in the Past

On Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 4:27:31 PM UTC-4, Uncarollo2 wrote:

College is about learning how to learn.

That's the theory, at least. Increasingly, however, employers seek the "purple squirrel."

Old June 18th 15, 09:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 4:30:14 PM UTC-4, Uncarollo2 wrote:
On Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 10:23:08 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, June 17, 2015 at 1:11:19 AM UTC-4, Uncarollo2 wrote:

Nearly all the wealth (85%) is in the hands of only one fifth of the people.

Are YOU part of that "one fifth?"

Equally insidious, per the WSJ, most colleges today don't require any courses
in history, economics or foreign language edit

That's probably just as well since most of that course work is useless for finding a job. Native speakers of a foreign language are more likely to be hired for a job requiring that language anyway, AEBE.

Do you often have the feeling that your fact free proclamations become reality as soon as you write them?

Interesting.

"Fact-free proclamations?" Such as this one? :

"The US came out of WWII convinced that it was charged with running the world by divine right."

Now, I gave you the example of a woman who could do a particular job except that she can't speak a specific language well enough to get hired any more.. I would not doubt her. I have heard about salesmen who are having trouble getting hired because the stores' customers do not speak English.
Old June 18th 15, 09:51 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2

On Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 3:34:34 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 4:27:31 PM UTC-4, Uncarollo2 wrote:

College is about learning how to learn.

That's the theory, at least. Increasingly, however, employers seek the "purple squirrel."

There is always a growing need for entrepreneurs. They don't necessarily need fancy degrees. In fact, a lot of them are much better off not going to college and using their built-in smarts to start their own company and not rely on other employers to provide them with an income.
Old June 18th 15, 10:32 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Lord Vath

On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 13:08:43 -0700 (PDT), wrote
this crap:

On Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 3:36:13 PM UTC-4, Lord Vath wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 12:17:04 -0700 (PDT), wsnell01 wrote
this crap:

On Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 2:56:15 PM UTC-4, Lord Vath wrote:

I would have no problem with the taxpayers paying for college if you
were a math or science or engineering major, as long as you kept up a
decent GPA.

Why, is there a shortage of STEM graduates?

I don't know what that means.

STEM is short for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math.

I never heard of it, but I haven't been to school in 35 years, and I
have no children, so it doesn't interest me.

Grads with these degrees tend to make higher salaries, at least initially,
than liberal arts majors, AEBE, so these majors -might- be a better
bet for those who can handle the coursework.
Non-STEM grads outnumber them about 2 to 1 and so have
lower salaries, again AEBE. Non-STEM grads are also more likely
to have to compete with those who have no degree at all.

Having more STEM grads will help hold down the cost of high tech
labor, to the detriment of those who are STEM grads.

Sounds reasonable.

I am not sure that the govt should be tinkering with any of this.

The gubmint is *in* the school business. Half of all our taxes are
invested in the school business. It's a good way to keep the
criminals off the street.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe
Old June 18th 15, 10:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Lord Vath

On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 13:27:29 -0700 (PDT), Uncarollo2
wrote this crap:

That's probably just as well since most of that course work is useless
for finding a job.

Seriously, after I left college and was hired as an engineer, I found
that most of my courses were useless. Actually the most benefit I got
from college was ROTC.

College is about learning how to learn. As an Electrical Engineering
student I learned all about vacuum tubes in the early 1960's.

You must be one old fart.

Not exactly cutting edge science. However, I did learn a
lot of stuff in all my courses, including how to reason to
find an answer to difficult questions. I forgot most of what
I learned in fields theory or differential equations, but if I
have to, I can pick it up again quite easily. I was not taught
optics in school, but used these methods of learning to teach
it to myself over the years.

Uncaeducation

The most useful classes to me were ROTC. I learned leadership,
discipline, and people management. These things are gold in the
workplace.

Old June 18th 15, 10:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2

On Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 3:47:42 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

We cannot be the world's policeman forever. There is a very concerted economic effort by large countries in Asia to defeat the west, economically. We have been and are continuing to waste our resources fighting the second world war and its aftermath. We need to think and apply reason and compete effectively, not shoot our guns, cannons, drones and other toys. It's fun, I admit, but it gets nothing done. It's easier to tear down and destroy, much harder to build things, but we must leave our childish obsessions behind and do things differently.
Old June 18th 15, 11:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Lord Vath

On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 14:56:59 -0700 (PDT), Uncarollo2
wrote this crap:

We cannot be the world's policeman forever.

Why not?

There is a very concerted economic effort by large countries in
Asia to defeat the west, economically.

Its been that way for thousands of years.

We have been and are continuing to waste our resources
fighting the second world war and its aftermath.

The *FIRST* world war. We are still seeing the affects of when the
Serbs hired assassins to kill the Archduke Ferdinand and destroy the
Hungarian-Austrian Empire.

Old June 18th 15, 11:38 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 5:57:02 PM UTC-4, Uncarollo2 wrote:

We cannot be the world's policeman forever.

"God bless me and my wife, my son and his wife... just us four."

--uncaclueless
Old June 18th 15, 11:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 6:17:35 PM UTC-4, Lord Vath wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 14:56:59 -0700 (PDT), Uncarollo2

We have been and are continuing to waste our resources
fighting the second world war and its aftermath.

The *FIRST* world war. We are still seeing the affects of when the
Serbs hired assassins to kill the Archduke Ferdinand and destroy the
Hungarian-Austrian Empire.

The great thing about American involvement in WWII in uncaclueless' mind is that it saved his bacon. With that accomplished, we now can stay out of all other conflicts...
Old June 19th 15, 03:51 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 2:08:45 PM UTC-6, wrote:

STEM is short for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. Grads with
these degrees tend to make higher salaries, at least initially, than liberal
arts majors, AEBE, so these majors -might- be a better bet for those who can
handle the coursework. Non-STEM grads outnumber them about 2 to 1 and so
have lower salaries, again AEBE. Non-STEM grads are also more likely to have
to compete with those who have no degree at all.

Having more STEM grads will help hold down the cost of high tech labor, to
the detriment of those who are STEM grads. I am not sure that the govt
should be tinkering with any of this.

It's true that the situation is not the same as existed in, say, 1958, just
after Russia launched Sputnik, or in 1949, after Russia exploded its first
A-bomb... so we needed all the scientific brainpower we could get to invent the
H-bomb or make bigger missiles.

Given that an awful lot of STEM grad work is getting outsourced to India, it
isn't enough to promote education - it will be necessary for the government to
intervene by *hiring* these people.

But first we need to think of something *worthwhile* to hire them to do that
justifies spending hard-earned tax money.

John Savard