Empiricism Was Not Well-Liked in the Past

Old June 18th 15, 05:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Default Empiricism Was Not Well-Liked in the Past

On Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 12:22:09 PM UTC-4, lal_truckee wrote:
On 6/18/15 8:23 AM, wsnell01 wrote:
That's probably just as well since most of that course work is useless for finding a job.

Where did you get the idea that college is about finding a job?

A few clues for you:

Career planning and placement centers at colleges
Recruiters showing up on campus
College instructors have degrees
Accountants have degrees
Lawyers have degrees
Doctors have degrees
Engineers usually have degrees
IT workers often have degrees
Job ads often list specific degrees required
A degree often leads to increased lifetime earnings
Those with degrees less likely to be unemployed
People list education on their resumes
Etc.

Then there is this interactive chart:

http://www.census.gov/dataviz/visual...tem/stem-html/

The better question is: Why do YOU think the college isn't about finding a job?

Old June 18th 15, 07:23 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 12:57:05 PM UTC-4, Lord Vath wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 09:47:50 -0700 (PDT), wsnell01 wrote

Job ads often list specific degrees required

Remember when signs said, "Irish need not apply"? Nowadays it's,
"White males need not apply."

I met a woman who claims that she had to leave her home town because she was no longer hired for jobs for which she actually was qualified. Her problem was that she was not a native, fluent, colloquial speaker of a particular foreign language. Take with a grain of salt.

A degree often leads to increased lifetime earnings

Unless you have student loans.

It depends on how big a loan one has to pay off, and the starting and potential salary of the career, among other factors. Going $100,000 into debt for a $30,000 job... probably not the best idea.
Old June 18th 15, 08:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 2:56:15 PM UTC-4, Lord Vath wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 11:23:41 -0700 (PDT), wsnell01 wrote
this crap:

On Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 12:57:05 PM UTC-4, Lord Vath wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 09:47:50 -0700 (PDT), wsnell01 wrote

A degree often leads to increased lifetime earnings

Unless you have student loans.

It depends on how big a loan one has to pay off, and the starting
and potential salary of the career, among other factors.
Going $100,000 into debt for a $30,000 job..
. probably not the best idea.

I was one of the smart ones. The government paid for most of my
college.

I would have no problem with the taxpayers paying for college if you
were a math or science or engineering major, as long as you kept up a
decent GPA.

Why, is there a shortage of STEM graduates?

http://www.census.gov/dataviz/visual...tem/stem-html/

It looks as if two thirds or more of STEM grads work outside of STEM fields, and that about 20% of those in STEM fields came have non-STEM degrees.

Old June 18th 15, 09:08 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 3:36:13 PM UTC-4, Lord Vath wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 12:17:04 -0700 (PDT), wsnell01 wrote
this crap:

On Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 2:56:15 PM UTC-4, Lord Vath wrote:

I would have no problem with the taxpayers paying for college if you
were a math or science or engineering major, as long as you kept up a
decent GPA.

Why, is there a shortage of STEM graduates?

I don't know what that means.

STEM is short for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. Grads with these degrees tend to make higher salaries, at least initially, than liberal arts majors, AEBE, so these majors -might- be a better bet for those who can handle the coursework. Non-STEM grads outnumber them about 2 to 1 and so have lower salaries, again AEBE. Non-STEM grads are also more likely to have to compete with those who have no degree at all.

Having more STEM grads will help hold down the cost of high tech labor, to the detriment of those who are STEM grads. I am not sure that the govt should be tinkering with any of this.

Old June 18th 15, 09:27 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2

On Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 11:12:40 AM UTC-5, Lord Vath wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 08:23:06 -0700 (PDT), wrote
this crap:

On Wednesday, June 17, 2015 at 1:11:19 AM UTC-4, Uncarollo2 wrote:

Nearly all the wealth (85%) is in the hands of only one fifth of the people.

Are YOU part of that "one fifth?"

Equally insidious, per the WSJ, most colleges today don't require any courses
in history, economics or foreign language edit

That's probably just as well since most of that course work is useless
for finding a job.

Seriously, after I left college and was hired as an engineer, I found
that most of my courses were useless. Actually the most benefit I got
from college was ROTC.

College is about learning how to learn. As an Electrical Engineering student I learned all about vacuum tubes in the early 1960's. Not exactly cutting edge science. However, I did learn a lot of stuff in all my courses, including how to reason to find an answer to difficult questions. I forgot most of what I learned in fields theory or differential equations, but if I have to, I can pick it up again quite easily. I was not taught optics in school, but used these methods of learning to teach it to myself over the years.

Uncaeducation
Old June 18th 15, 09:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2

On Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 10:23:08 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, June 17, 2015 at 1:11:19 AM UTC-4, Uncarollo2 wrote:

Nearly all the wealth (85%) is in the hands of only one fifth of the people.

Are YOU part of that "one fifth?"

Equally insidious, per the WSJ, most colleges today don't require any courses
in history, economics or foreign language edit

That's probably just as well since most of that course work is useless for finding a job. Native speakers of a foreign language are more likely to be hired for a job requiring that language anyway, AEBE.

Do you often have the feeling that your fact free proclamations become reality as soon as you write them?

Interesting.